ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #1
Dirt_Dad OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Spring 2015 - Romney, West Virginia - May 1-3

The 2015 Camp and Ride/Charity event is officially on. The weekend event started by dcstrom and Romney Cycles back in 2012 is happening again. The date has been confirmed and they will be holding the “4th Annual Camp N Ride” on May 1-3, 2015.

In 2014 Romney added a charity component to the event after it was suggested by dcstrom. Along with Romney's contribution our group raised more than $1,300 for the WV School for the Deaf and Blind. Romney has selected the school again for 2015. It's a school that really cares about the kids and puts the money directly towards helping the kids.

If you were one of the 100 riders that joined us last year you already know the guys at Romney go out of their way to make us feel welcome. They remain interested in growing their involvement in the Adventure market and are once again looking forward to hosting the event again in 2015.
Link to 2014 event video
Link to 2013 event video
Link to 2012 event video

When: May 1-3, 2015
Where: Romney Cycles in Romney, WV
What: Camping on the grounds of the dealership, or staying at local lodging. Then riding some fantastic West Virginia roads.

Romney has recognized that as this event grows there are more people are coming from greater distances. For the people who want more time to take advantage of the fantastic roads in the area they will have everything ready for people who want to arrive on Thursday evening, April 30th. For the rest, the usual schedule has been most everyone arrives at some point during the day or evening that Friday. Saturday is ride day, and everyone headed their own way on Sunday. The dealership provides the camping area in a nice field next to the dealership, portable toilets, showers, water, ice, a coffee maker for the morning, plenty of wood for the fire each evening, and they sponsor the meal on Saturday evening. They also worked out a group rate at one of the local motels.

Those who attended in 2014 will be happy to hear the Ruritans will be back again in 2015 to sell breakfast on Saturday and Sunday morning. They will also provide the Romney Cycles sponsored dinner on Saturday evening. The food was great, the convenience of having them on site was fantastic. We apparently also made an impression on the Ruritans. They mentioned to Kevin (Romney Cycles owner) how unusual it was for them to repeatedly hear "keep the change." Doesn't usually happen to them.

For the non-campers
Koolwink Motel
South Branch Inn
I heard we sold out the Koolwink last year. I suspect we had a good number at the South Branch as well. Never heard any complaints about either place.

As far as Saturday rides, it's open. Talking around the fire Friday evening was how most people hooked up with who they would ride with on Saturday. This event has grown too large for me to try to manage in advance who is going to be a ride leader. Attendance at this event has more than tripled every year. I would be surprised if we maintain that growth rate in 2015, but it's reasonable to anticipate the event will grow again this year. If you think you have some good ideas of what would be a nice ride and you are willing to take some people with you, please do. For those willing to take a bigger group, Romney is planning to make up some baseball caps to identify you as a ride leader and someone people should talk to. See me at the event if you want to lead a bigger group. Actually, even if you are leading a small group please see wreckchecker or me. There will be a couple of items we need to cover.

Romney is centrally located to a lot of great riding. If you do want to explore on your own here's a few ideas along with the approximate mileage from Romney.
65 miles Rt 72 video
83 miles Spruce Knob
54 miles Dolly Sods
16 miles Oldtown Low Water Bridge video
57 miles Black Water Falls
62 miles Seneca Rocks
52 miles WV/VA Border Crossing near Mathias, WV
74 miles Harpers Ferry video

If you want to bring your significant other, but they don't want to do a day ride with a bunch of sweaty guys, the scenic train is less than a mile from the dealer.
Scenic Railroad
The Apple Blossom Festival was enjoyed by at least one of the spouses at the event last year.
41 miles Apple Blossom Festival - Winchester, VA

Romney Cycles will want a ballpark figure on how many to plan for, but obviously it's way too early for anyone to commit this far in the future. When time gets closer I'll try to get a headcount. But until then post up if you think you may attend, have any suggestions or questions.

So mark your calendars and plan to start your early spring season in beautiful West Virginia.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
Dirt_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #2
Dirt_Dad OP
Studly Adventurer

This following is not an obligation, more of a way to see how many and who may be coming. Post to this thread or send me a PM and I'll add/remove you from the list. When we're a few weeks out we'll try to get a more official headcount so Romney can make their plans.

Possible headcount from advrider
Dirt_Dad
wreckchecker
H14
macaroni
VACommuter
eddit bolted
Scotty P
roger123
tommyhof
B-Mac
mica
iBiker

Additional headcount from other adventure boards (Stromtrooper & yamahasupertenere): 21

This post will also be the centralized place to check for general announcements. It will be easier to check here rather than searching through the thread to find the info.

General Announcements

Route information

Other Info
12/22/2014: H14 has once again offered to supply the much loved Crazy Fox Coffee for the event. Thanks, Kevin
2013 Suzuki DR650SE

Dirt_Dad screwed with this post Yesterday at 07:52 PM
Old 12-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
H14
I Gotta Go!

Oddometer: 4,547
CampCook and I are in.

Been looking forward to this one.
2012 Riding the Continental Divide
H14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Guy Young
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Dad View Post
This following is not an obligation, more of a way to see how many and who may be coming. Post to this thread or send me a PM and I'll add/remove you from the list. When we're a few weeks out we'll try to get a more official headcount so Romney can make their plans.
Don't think DCSTROM (Trevor) will make this one. He's still traveling and in Europe at present having too much fun.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:37 PM   #5
Dirt_Dad OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Young View Post
Don't think DCSTROM (Trevor) will make this one. He's still traveling and in Europe at present having too much fun.
Nope, don't expect him this year, but he was the one who first worked with Romney to get it all started.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 12-21-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
macaroni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 759
I'm in! Had a great time last year!
Old 12-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,632
In.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:58 PM   #8
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 3,544
In!

It's mostly Dan........I knew he couldn't keep a secret(SCOTTY P)
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:13 AM   #9
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 12,442
in.............
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 06:41 AM   #10
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P View Post
in.............
There goes the neighborhood!

Old 12-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #11
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,473
On a more serious note, I'm looking forward to seeing everybody again.

I'll coordinate shirts and so far the talk has been that rather than asking Romney Cycle to donate them, we will sell them and the profit will go to the Romney school which Dirt Dad mentioned.

Who knows, maybe Trevor can send us a sweat-stained shirt with Iranian dust by then to auction off, so he can make it in spirit and odor.

We also have a lot of people of varying experience, both at riding and at leading. To help, I am making up a package to distribute which will have some group ride tips, what to do in case of accidents, and possibly maps or more.

And thanks to Jon (DD) and the folks at Romney Cycle for undertaking this again!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
Scotty P
Funny like a Moran

Oddometer: 12,442
Here is a link to a Green Ridge state forest road map.........about 25 miles north of Romney.

http://www.mobilemaplets.com/showplace/3185

NOTE: East valley road and Stafford road (yellow highlight on map) is the old OHV loop that is now shut down. As far as I know all other gravel roads are open.

Hey Wreckchecker.............
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondoggle View Post
But things were getting tense, and I know nothing defuses a tough situation faster than boobies.
Scotty P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #13
Dirt_Dad OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
I'll coordinate shirts and so far the talk has been that rather than asking Romney Cycle to donate them, we will sell them and the profit will go to the Romney school which Dirt Dad mentioned.

... To help, I am making up a package to distribute which will have some group ride tips, what to do in case of accidents, and possibly maps or more.
Thank you for taking the lead on both of these.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 12-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #14
Dirt_Dad OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty P View Post
Here is a link to a Green Ridge state forest road map.........about 25 miles north of Romney.

http://www.mobilemaplets.com/showplace/3185

NOTE: East valley road and Stafford road (yellow highlight on map) is the old OHV loop that is now shut down. As far as I know all other gravel roads are open.
All the forest roads were all open when I explored up there earlier this year.

It's a shame they closed the ORV trails and have let them all grow over. I spent some great ride times with the family up there before they closed them.

I anticipate using the Green Ridge forest road on either my Friday or Saturday group ride.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
Old 12-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #15
roger123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,591
In, guess I can't miss this one after driving 300 miles there to buy my Tenere.
COG 5903
roger123 is offline   Reply With Quote