GED2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Calsci

I've recently installed a California Scientific Medium Windshield on mine:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/KTM1190prod.html

The medium is 20.5" height x 20" width vs
the stock: 17.5" height x 14" width.

(Click on each image below to see the full resolution picture if you want to check the details)

Here it is with the standard screen of the standard 1190 aligned on top of it.
There is a big 3" up top, but the width difference is much less since the windshield is much more curved.

The windshield comes with spacers, screws and cleaning cloth & liquid:

Here it is in top position mounted on my 1190 std:

When in top position, the handle protections come right under the cut. When the windshield is in the bottom position the handle guards hit against the windshield at full lock:

(Click on each image above to see the full size picture if you want to check the details)

Calsci has a sizing chart to determine which model you should buy:
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo...ng.html#Height
I went with the Medium.

Thanks,
GED2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:58 AM   #17
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 877
Aeroflow

Check out Aeroflow, not the prettiest but they work, I've bought 3 so far 2 BMW and 1 990 ADV.
Top work!!!
Old 04-04-2014, 02:24 AM   #18
grizzlyj
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Hiya

I work in construction, and being next to anything from just a circular saw to a 40ton piling hammer requires hearing protection. I've always found the foam earplugs that are all that ever get supplied to be rubbish, maybe why my hearing isn't what it was :(

At a bike show I thought I would try custom moulded earplugs, and since no-one had ever looked in my ears before they revealed I have small ear canals, to the extent that they had to make their plugs a bit longer than normal to stay put.

Small ear canals means I've never been able to get the foam plugs to fit properly but I never realised. The instructions just say roll them up and push them in

The difference is vast. I now have a work pair and a pair with speakers in for music on the bike or on a plane. No batteries to go flat like on noise cancelling ones, and a lower volume needed on IPods etc too. Maybe £250 total and worth every penny. Your ears are always growing so maybe in a few years the moulded bit will need replacing, but I'll still be able to hear hopefully!

With these in it won't matter what screen I have, peace and quiet
grizzlyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:51 AM   #19
vasculopath
You're not your bike

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlyj View Post

At a bike show I thought I would try custom moulded earplugs, and ...
The difference is vast.
THIS

once you've gone this route you'll never go back. I've been running this set up since I got my first pair at WSBK at laguna at a vendor booth in 2001. very quiet except for what you let in.

Perfection.
vasculopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #20
strider.deano
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureLeo View Post
Hi there,

since almost 20000 Kilometres I am riding my 1190 around the world. (www.freiheitenwelt.de)

And since 20000 Kilometres I am trying to find a prober solution for the windshield. I had all original ones. Short, Standard, Touring. I shortened the short one. Then I extended the short one with another one. Right now I extended the Touring with a tiny peace by round about 5 centimetres.

And still - these wind vibrations on my Arai-X4 drive me nuts. I already got a tinnitus on both ears and can't ride without earplugs anymore.

Right now I am back on just the Touring shield. Till 80km/h it's still all right. But everything faster then 100km/h causes enormous vibrations.
Higher speeds are insane loud and all this is with earplugs and now wind... ;-(

I got a TT comfort seat, ads +3 centimetre, and I am 1,83 Meters TALL...

So here the question. Has anyone with the more or less body size, helmet and seat found a solution for this?

Since the plan is to travel for at least another 3 years this has become a serious topic to me. If I can't find a solution to this I can't continue my travels like I planned.... Travelling is nice - but I need my ears for some longer time...

Maybe this was discussed before somewhere - sry for the extra thread then...

Greetings Martin

All tips higly welcome...
Madstad is developing an install for the 1190 and it should be ready within a couple weeks.

I had one of these on the 800XC and it was the single best improvement to the bike.

Start at about 2:15 on the video below. The full effect is amazing.

They are a little fugly though.

">
strider.deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:44 AM   #21
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
I'm having the same problem and believe the only solution may be to just cut down the shield until the air flow is clean. Much of the turbulence is going around the sides of the tall narrow windscreen so not sure much can be done other than lower the whole windscreen.
Hi there - did this allready - gut the Tiny Shild down as far as possible. Also without it there is too much of vibrations.

I had the "Sunthingy" at the helmet removed - it's right now actually better with it. Put some tabe on it to reduce vibrations.

cheers
Old 04-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #22
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer View Post
Martin
I am 10 cm (4") taller than you and have the std shield. Laminar Lip.com is a USA
company on line. They don't have one yet, but I took my 950 one, lip, and made it fit.
I am awaiting all the aftermarket types to come up with something. Until then
this is working as it pushes the wind through a venturi affect and it goes up over
my helmet. Sometimes a second smaller over shield does the same thing.
You may need to find one and adjust up and down to find the correct spot for you.
Use duct tape temporarily to find that spot before permanently mounting it. Hope
this makes sense?
Allen.
As I wrote in my first post - I tried all these. Basicial my Shield is like duct tape ;- )
Old 04-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #23
AdventureLeo OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer View Post
Martin
I am 10 cm (4") taller than you and have the std shield. Laminar Lip.com is a USA
company on line. They don't have one yet, but I took my 950 one, lip, and made it fit.
I am awaiting all the aftermarket types to come up with something. Until then
this is working as it pushes the wind through a venturi affect and it goes up over
my helmet. Sometimes a second smaller over shield does the same thing.
You may need to find one and adjust up and down to find the correct spot for you.
Use duct tape temporarily to find that spot before permanently mounting it. Hope
this makes sense?
Allen.
As I wrote in my first post - I tried all these. Basicial my Shield is like duct tape ;- )

P.S: I am close to Paraguay now. Maybe Givi or Puig has a solution for me... But most likely they will not have this windshields in stock somewhere...
Old 04-04-2014, 10:03 AM   #24
straightline
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
I contacted Givi and their Airflow windshield AF7703 will be available in 3 to 6 weeks from today (4/4/14). I had one on my 2009 GS and it was wonderful .
straightline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #25
Todd-Squad
See Ya, Bye.

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureLeo View Post
Hi there,

since almost 20000 Kilometres I am riding my 1190 around the world. (www.freiheitenwelt.de)

And since 20000 Kilometres I am trying to find a prober solution for the windshield. I had all original ones. Short, Standard, Touring. I shortened the short one. Then I extended the short one with another one. Right now I extended the Touring with a tiny peace by round about 5 centimetres.

And still - these wind vibrations on my Arai-X4 drive me nuts. I already got a tinnitus on both ears and can't ride without earplugs anymore.

Right now I am back on just the Touring shield. Till 80km/h it's still all right. But everything faster then 100km/h causes enormous vibrations.
Higher speeds are insane loud and all this is with earplugs and now wind... ;-(

I got a TT comfort seat, ads +3 centimetre, and I am 1,83 Meters TALL...

So here the question. Has anyone with the more or less body size, helmet and seat found a solution for this?

Since the plan is to travel for at least another 3 years this has become a serious topic to me. If I can't find a solution to this I can't continue my travels like I planned.... Travelling is nice - but I need my ears for some longer time...

Maybe this was discussed before somewhere - sry for the extra thread then...

Greetings Martin

All tips higly welcome...
Here are a couple of ideas that might work. Both are windshield extensions. You would have to order both and figure out where to have them shipped.

Touratech - Windscreen Spoiler
http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...90-Adventure-R

Saeng - They make three different products that can be mounted to your windscreen to help with buffeting
http://www.saeng.com/subcategory.php?category=51

Good luck on your ride.

Todd-Squad
Old 04-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #26
hewhohesit8s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 293
Awaiting for the consensus to emerge

I'm in the same boat. Need to find a solution. Had a CalSci on the 990. It was ok. Buddy has a Madstad on a Tiger 800XC he swears is the best add on. So I'm gonna stay tuned....
'10 KTM 530EXC
'04 HD 1200C
hewhohesit8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #27
Badge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
CalSci

Quote:
Originally Posted by GED2 View Post
I've recently installed a California Scientific Medium Windshield on mine:

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/KTM1190prod.html

The medium is 20.5" height x 20" width vs
the stock: 17.5" height x 14" width.

(Click on each image below to see the full resolution picture if you want to check the details)

Here it is with the standard screen of the standard 1190 aligned on top of it.
There is a big 3" up top, but the width difference is much less since the windshield is much more curved.

The windshield comes with spacers, screws and cleaning cloth & liquid:

Here it is in top position mounted on my 1190 std:

When in top position, the handle protections come right under the cut. When the windshield is in the bottom position the handle guards hit against the windshield at full lock:

(Click on each image above to see the full size picture if you want to check the details)

Calsci has a sizing chart to determine which model you should buy:
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo...ng.html#Height
I went with the Medium.

Thanks,
GED2, have you had a chance to ride with the CalSci yet? How is the noise?
Badge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #28
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,491
When i got my CalSci I was not impressed with the quality of the bottom cut out, so I called and the owner he told me that the computer program was having trouble cutting the bottom because it is more of an oval, so i rounded it on my belt sander now it looks fine. I had to modify my hand guards also because mine hit the screen because of my risers (Rox 2"). I do like the screen. Much less noise than the touring or stocker.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160

Doug Matson screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 07:39 PM
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #29
kag
Wander Lust

Oddometer: 855
My Parabellum shield arrives tomorrow and I will fit it up and test it out. Its certainly a function over form item for me

2007 Yamaha TW 200 / 2008 Buell Ulysses
2013 Triumph Tiger 800r / 2014 KTM 1190 EDS
kag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #30
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,167
Calsci large gets here in a couple days. Hoping it works and doesn't look too dorky.