ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #46
1224R
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,805
Razrs bday spent at Kern Medical with rob and I good times....
Old 04-11-2014, 10:03 AM   #47
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by junglemototours View Post
twice with the dead battery/tight valve syndrome?
Some people never learn... it won't happen again, theGrinch is now in charge of all bike maintenance.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #48
The Letter J
lost in the 690 mega

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Letter J View Post
Mini-moto-madness somewhere in the Los Padres:

The TTR broke the oil drain plug off on a rock which I could have repaired with quiksteel, but I did not have any oil to put back in! The TTR spent 3 nights in the forest until we could arrange extraction. We were preparing for the worst (dragging it out 6 miles on terrain as pictured above to get to the closest thing resembling a road) but hoped for the best (brought a quart of oil and various bolts/ sealants.) I borrowed a 4x4 quad (don't judge me!) and got in as far is it could fit before hiking in the last few miles. Luckily it fired right up and we got out from behind enemy lines as the sun was coming up!
So funny story... My buddy Dozer and I were on a mission to clear some more trail yesterday and took the little bikes (ttr125 an drz125) to get us in far enough to begin our hike. The ride to the singletrack trailhead was about 7 miles up a 4x4 trail and we rode a ways into the trail and parked the bikes and started our hike, machete's swinging, for about 2 miles. After that section was clear, we hiked back to the bikes and rode them down the trail we had just cleared.

About 200 yards into the next section, Dozer went up a roughly 2' tall (and very square) ledge smacking his skidplate hard on the way up. I rode the mini drz right up and as soon as I landed (and could see Dozer again) I began shouting "shut it off! shut it off!" Dozer's bike was puking oil FAST!

After laying the bike on it's side to keep whatever was left of his oil in, we weighed our options AGAIN and decided that it was early enough in the day to try to get the bike out. We took turns pushing the ttr and firing up the engine for very short (30 seconds tops), low rpm, riderless bursts through the more difficult rock sections and the steeper uphills followed by a 10-15 minute "cooling" break. We made it back up the trail almost 2 miles (in only 3 hours) and the little ttr started to make a little rattle so we decided that it was no longer "safe" to use the engine.

Since we had less than a mile to go and there were no more real difficult rock sections, we decided to focus both of our efforts on dragging the bike the rest of the way to the 4x4 trail. We dropped all our gear and my drz under the shade of an oak tree and I tied a length of rope to the forks of the ttr and I started pulling while Dozer pushed.... that got us no more than 1/8 mile before we decided that it wasn't worth it. I rode the drz half way back to the 4x4 trail while Dozer hiked, then I left the bike in the middle of the trail for him while I continued on foot.

When we both were at the 4x4 trail, we tried to ride doubles back to my van, but 7hp+ (2) 200+lb guys + steep 4x4 trails= NOT HAPPENING! I waved goodbye and left Dozer to keep hiking while I rode back to the van, loaded up, and tried to get my 2wd van as close to him as possible. I finally picked him up and we began our 22 mile drive down the forest road and 26 more back to town. We threw our gear in his truck (4x4), grabbed some flashlights, picked up another friend to help pull the bike out, stopped by the autoparts store and bought a can of brakeclean, 2 part epoxy, and 2qts of oil, and started the return trip to the forest.

We arrived at the singletrack trailhead just after sunset and started our short hike back to the bike. We probably could have waited until today, but it is open deer season and I have NEVER seen this volume of hunters in this part of the forest before and I did not think it wise to leave it any longer than we absolutely had to. Bike was still there, and nobody attempted to make any "repairs" to it while we were gone.

We turned the bike flat on it's side, pulled off the remains of the plastic skidplate and sprayed the case down with brake clean to assess the damage. There was a ~1" round hole punched in the case but the piece was still attached so we mixed the epoxy and slathered it on. Thank goodness for good flashlights! We waited around in the dark for about 20 minutes and dumped a full quart of oil in the cases. Turned the key on, turned the fuel on, pushed the button and... IT'S ALIVE!... AGAIN!

I taped a flashlight to the front fender and another to Dozer's helmet and he took off up the trail while Nick and I hiked back. We made it back to the truck around 10pm and home at 12:00 midnight on the dot.

I'm going to do a thorough inspection of the cam/rockers/valve guides and compression test and see what damage is done. As for the case, I think the epoxy did a good job (no leaks) so I'm going to suggest to do nothing.

We were all in good spirits the whole time, but I don't think Dozer's wife is going to let him ride with me anymore

This is the only picture I took all day, right where we left the little ttr, Dozer with his "pouty face" :

and for those that are curious, yes we both have several "real" dirtbikes too, these ones just make for more interesting adventures!

The Letter J screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 04:22 PM
The Letter J is offline   Reply With Quote