Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #181
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 607
A motorcycle exhaust would have to be beyond obnoxious to be louder than the wind over your helmet.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:47 AM   #182
sdmichael
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by henshao View Post
A motorcycle exhaust would have to be beyond obnoxious to be louder than the wind over your helmet.
I've certainly heard my share. If I can still hear your bike quite clearly, while I'm riding mine, with a helmet, and music, and wind noise, at freeway speed, and while you're now at least 1/4 mile in front of me... you're too damn loud!
Old 08-10-2014, 06:07 AM   #183
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Oddometer: 8,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmichael View Post
I've certainly heard my share. If I can still hear your bike quite clearly, while I'm riding mine, with a helmet, and music, and wind noise, at freeway speed, and while you're now at least 1/4 mile in front of me... you're too damn loud!
Too loud...for you.

Meanwhile, back in the land of science and law..

It's reckoned that sustained exposure (no idea how long "sustained" is though - I'd guess an hour?) 85 decibels or more can cause hearing loss.

Some US states have determined maximum decibels, some haven't. Google yours.
The UK, if they're manufactured before 1983 there is no limit, but after that, legislation kicks in, varying by year and engine size but coming out, in the end to 80 dBs max for bikes manufactured after June 2003.

Track days in the UK seem to limit things to 105 dbs.

I've no idea what "too loud" is here in Austria.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:29 AM   #184
sdmichael
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
Too loud...for you.

Meanwhile, back in the land of science and law..

It's reckoned that sustained exposure (no idea how long "sustained" is though - I'd guess an hour?) 85 decibels or more can cause hearing loss.

Some US states have determined maximum decibels, some haven't. Google yours.
The UK, if they're manufactured before 1983 there is no limit, but after that, legislation kicks in, varying by year and engine size but coming out, in the end to 80 dBs max for bikes manufactured after June 2003.

Track days in the UK seem to limit things to 105 dbs.

I've no idea what "too loud" is here in Austria.
You seem to miss the point. I cannot hear most bikes over all that other noise. If your bike still comes through over all that, and clearly at that, then it really is too loud. Most of the time, it is a cruiser.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:49 AM   #185
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 662
I was contemplating this the other day, specifically the argument that loud motorcycle exhaust systems should not be regulated because of the safety provided by them. I see potential for unintended consequences in this. The proponents of loud pipes are basing their reasoning on the need for loud pipes being tied to safety with the idea that of course they are needed for to make riding safe. At the same time, they are implying that motorcycles are overly dangerous unless they are obnoxiously loud. Clearly, the solution is that to be free from obnoxious noise and from the danger, motorcycles are the thing that needs to be eliminated from the roadway. Now everyone is safe and everyone is grooving on the serenity of the now peaceful world. Could it happen? I doubt it, but I guarantee that someone is connecting those dots and it will be a troublesome fight down the line.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:00 AM   #186
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmichael View Post
You seem to miss the point. I cannot hear most bikes over all that other noise. If your bike still comes through over all that, and clearly at that, then it really is too loud. Most of the time, it is a cruiser.
My point is that the guys riding with open pipes obviously don't think they're "too loud" otherwise they'd not do it. Note the stress on "too".

You think they are, they think they're not. Both of your opinions are valid. Subjective. Not objective.

If you really want to argue a point them you find the objectivity. If you can't, then at least realise you're talking subjectively,

FWIW the test for whether a bike's exhaust is too loud is not "can you hear it on a motorway, through a helmet, over music and from 1/4 mile away". Probably a good thing too :)

FWIW I'm with you, loud pipes are a pain in the arse but it's not down to me to police them, just as it's not down to other road users to police the way I ride, or at what speed, or what I wear when I do it. They can report me, but they can't police me - unless they are the police.

If loud pipes distress you that much, you should report the road user to the police, and then go down the pub and have a cold one. Your job is done. Of course, doing nothing about it but coming on here and whinging is, well, it's kinda lazy no?

As for your last point about "most of the time it's a cruiser"...10 to 1 says it's not. 10 to 1 says that given most states and countries which police noise limits have set the maximum at about 80dBs, then it's at least 50% of all bikes, probably more.
Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns manage to kill more people than people without.

catweasel67 screwed with this post 08-10-2014 at 10:10 AM
Old 08-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #187
BikeMan
smoke, drink, screw, ride

Oddometer: 278
stock pipes kill people.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #188
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeMan View Post
stock pipes kill people.
Only when used to strike them repeatedly around the head ;p
Old 08-10-2014, 03:36 PM   #189
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,437
Often times the overly loud bikes I hear I also observe their riding skill and judgement to be sub-par. They seem to need rider education, skills training, restraint, a reduction in poor group think riding behavior and maybe cutting back on the booze. If they incorporated some of that their perceived need for the "safety" of loud pipes would be completely negated. Everyone would be happy then. Like that's going to happen.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #190
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Often times the overly loud bikes I hear I also observe their riding skill and judgement to be sub-par. They seem to need rider education, skills training, restraint, a reduction in poor group think riding behavior and maybe cutting back on the booze. If they incorporated some of that their perceived need for the "safety" of loud pipes would be completely negated. Everyone would be happy then. Like that's going to happen.
Conversely,. the loudest pipes I see are on race bikes ridden by some of the best riders in the world...

We have to ask! Is there a connection! The world demands to know!

Old 08-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #191
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,192
damn, i never knew that. i assume 'pirates' refers to the people behind the parts counter of ktm stores?
B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #192
catweasel67
Still a B.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
damn, i never knew that. i assume 'pirates' refers to the people behind the parts counter of ktm stores?