Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #31
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,213
I've been hit while lane splitting with a loud muzzy full system. I was doing it wrong.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:30 PM   #32
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM7 View Post
About an year ago, I bought a 97 Honda VFR750 with Akrapovic aftermarket exhaust, the rest of the bike was complete stock...The bark of its V4 Engine from full on Akraovic's is really "THROATY & LOUD"!!! ........What's your opinion?
If you have an Akrapovic exhaust, and you feel that it's LOUD!!!, you must be running without any baffles.
Akrapovic are one of the quietest performance exhausts you can buy.
Nothing wrong with wanting an exhaust as quiet as the stock ones, but it would be cheaper to buy the right baffles.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #33
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
No..... its actually true. Once very well documented in a two year court battle with the LA city.

this particular instance I was pretty close to being killed because I was hit into oncoming traffic. I opened my eyes to see the bottom of a radiator

and the BMW had lots of parts replaced on it including the front end but jumped a cam chain just a few weeks ago and was sold basically for parts.

You live in this stupid town - you understand
yes, i do understand. and have no reason to doubt your perspective. and i do not doubt your experiences. but when i read "several times down" i think 5 or more, and so far as incidents in a "saves lives" thread i think the worst. as in multiple injuries and near fatalities. not exactly one bike down a few times and a rider who lives to ride and post again

so thats why i wrote a "bit of hyperbole"

the pipes on my new (used) bike, Yamaha FZ6, are considered quiet by many. i have used them on the freeway when cut off and while lane splitting but not to the effect where they "saved" me from anything i could not have avoided. as said i use them as if honking a horn. or "tooting" one

the horn on the bike does not work. my mechanic has told me a horn on a bike is often the first thing to stop working, and he see's a lot of bikes without working horns. but i got used to using the stebel's on my scooters and always felt those effective on L.A. surface streets. but they never saved my life, nope

that said i will take any advice or words of wisdom about riding our freeways. including using my pipes to be noticed. although my stock pipes are "quiet" to some they can be heard nonetheless for what they are. but i must take with a grain of salt their ability to "save my life" or that perspective. same as i doubt my hi viz riding jacket and helmet to do the same.

they may help to be noticed but i don't want to take for granted what i am wearing or what i am "sounding" is enough to save my ass. maybe one day i will be able to say, as you can, "if not for that i'd be dead." but i hope to never have to

until then "close calls" and near misses are just that for me. not "could haves" but just part of daily riding. and they are that because i rode around something, past something, was seen in time, or heard in time....for nothing to happen. so far, so good

you have more riding time, experience, and miles then me on your clock. so i have much to learn from you and others. perhaps its just a matter of perspective and should remain that as one day i might have the loudest pipes and horns around, as well as a day glow jacket and giant white helmet with a big ass spotlight on top. anything to keep me safer if i think it will

but for now it will have to be my eyes, hearing, skills (oh oh lol), and my little 'ol bike speeding by. hoping for the best
Old 04-04-2014, 06:11 PM   #34
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Let me be the first:

It never gets old does it?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #35
Foot dragger
singletracker

I remember when I was about 10 having a Mattel "Sound Of Power" thing strapped and clamped onto my Sting Ray, it went RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,,,,,RRRRRRRRRR

Like that, every time I pulled it's lever.

I gradually realized sound wasnt the reason I rode the bike,and still have quiet bikes to this day.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #36
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
It never gets old does it?
no, it does. at least as old as this thread

now its like two, tired ass threads in one!!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:21 PM   #37
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
What oil will make my bike louder?

Will Dynabeads make a difference?
Synth or dyno? Mefos or Shinkos? Which doohickey makes my ass look fat? If an Lc4 blows itself to bits in a far away place,who will diagnose it's last funny noise? WRR or DRZ?
Will 15 grand in farkles make my 1190 stand out from the rest? Is there somewhere the "right" street cred parts can be ordered for my Airhead? Leather or Lace? Studs or Tatoos?
Old 04-04-2014, 06:24 PM   #38
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
no, it does. at least as old as this thread

now its like two, tired ass threads in one!!
WTF This thread was started at 8:47 this morning,its not THAT old yet. Probably 400 pages to go yet.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #39
HH
Hurricane Harry

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
I remember when I was about 10 having a Mattel "Sound Of Power" thing strapped and clamped onto my Sting Ray, it went RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, RRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,,,,,RRRRRRRRRR

Like that, every time I pulled it's lever.

I gradually realized sound wasnt the reason I rode the bike,and still have quiet bikes to this day.
um, that was a vroom
HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #40
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Loud exhausts are antisocial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM7 View Post
About an year ago, I bough a 97 Honda VFR750 with Akrapovic aftermarket exhaust, the rest of the bike was complete stock. I asked the seller about the reason, and he replied: "Well, it get cager's attention so less chance of being run over".
Anyhow, Its exhaust note felt cool at first. The bark of its V4 Engine from full on Akraovic's is really "THROATY & LOUD"!!! But its getting more and more annoying as time passing by. So much that I'm seriously thinking about removing Povic's and fitting something quiter, much quiter, Preferabily stock.
From what I've noticed so far is that loud exhaust doesn't make any noticeable difference. Cager's still don't notice me, they still try to shove me in the corner, they still seem surprised when I overtake them, they still brake real hard right in front of me. While on the other hand, its exhaust note is making me deaf... What's the point really? My neighbours are getting mad as since I warm up the bike every morning (I ride her daily) and they thinks I'm doing that on purpose. I even told them that this thing got 4 carbs, but they just grin at me! Not to mention, a little girl got REAL sacred when I revved up the bike in an underground parking lot. ZERO benefit at the cost of TONS of annoyance. What's your opinion?
'Nuff said.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:40 PM   #41
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
WTF This thread was started at 8:47 this morning,its not THAT old yet. Probably 400 pages to go yet.
yeah, this one. but what about...

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+l...e+lives+forums

Old 04-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #42
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
Ive never been hit while lane splitting but thank you for your concern for my health
Maybe you need to pay more attention when riding a motorcycle?
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #43
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,763
A former coworker lost his left leg because of loud pipes.
He and a friend were passing a car which was in the center lane of a 6 lane divided highway. As my coworker passed on the left, his buddy was passing on the right, the noise of his bike startled the ancient driver of the automobile so naturally he jerked the wheel to the left... running my "buddy" off the road into a guardrail which promptly removed his leg.

So... no he didn't die, but maybe if they were both running stock pipes the car would've never swerved in the first place.

P.S. I don't believe the squid had a guardian bell either, so there it is irrefutable proof that loud pipes only work in conjunction with a guardian bell.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #44
SAM7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Lime View Post
If you have an Akrapovic exhaust, and you feel that it's LOUD!!!, you must be running without any baffles.
Akrapovic are one of the quietest performance exhausts you can buy.
Nothing wrong with wanting an exhaust as quiet as the stock ones, but it would be cheaper to buy the right baffles.
Thanks for the tip mate, highly appreciated. I've been looking for stock exhaust for months now but couldn't find any! Maybe those baffles will be the solution!!! Again, highly appreciated. You've not only rescued my sanity but did a huge favour to my neighbours too! Call me dumb but I honestly didn't knew anything about baffles... But again, I'm an I.T guy! Thanks.
SAM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:33 PM   #45
SAM7 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
It seems like most people agree that loud exhaust aren't really a LIFE SAVER like 'Jesus'... Now thats comforting! I thought everyone going to say something like: "Yeah right, Dumbass."
And to those who thinks that loud exhausts ARE saviours. Well, they might be a saviour but it just didn't worked on me. Secondly, my VFR is my daily commuter as I've got no car. Loud exhausts are O.K, heck even COOL when you ride only on weekends, but daily? No my fine lads, they become pain really quickly!
My VFR had just around 6,800miles when I bought her and owner said that he only used it for short weekend stints. These are indeed very low miles for a 1997 motorcycle. Now its odo meter is in the neighbourhood of 10,000miles in just 10 months! I ride a LOT so you can understand why I'm so bothered by them... Ride safe.
SAM7 is offline   Reply With Quote