Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #61
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
. perhaps its just a matter of perspective and should remain that as one day i might have the loudest pipes and horns around, as well as a day glow jacket and giant white helmet with a big ass spotlight on top. anything to keep me safer if i think it will
I think more than loud pipes, big bright aux lights probably help the most. A Stebel is a VERY good addition as well. The combo of those two will do a pretty good job keeping you safe.
But there will be a day when no combination of pipes, horns and lights will save you from being hit when riding in a city. It's just a fact of life.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #62
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 176
Bluhduh

My V-Star 650 came with Vance & Hines Cruzer pipes when I bought it. Riding it home, I was more scared than concerned about my hearing. Still, I wore a set of shooting ear plugs and made it home ok. Everyone bitched about the noise when I got it home. Neighbors, management, even the maintenance guy who rebuilt a three-banger Kawi. Two years, much wrenching, much college money, and somewhere in there I grabbed a set of Smart Partz baffles. They cut the sound down just a tick, but nothing much. All I noticed was, especially after a K&N air filter went on, was how my ear plugs weren't as effective. The bike got loud, barky. More pep, sure, but the noise was intolerable.

So I wrapped the SP baffles in 5/8" flat stove rope. Result! The pipes were MUCH quieter (and my mileage went up!) People walking still notice me, but in a good way. Before, the exhaust barked so loud I'd get cringes and glares. Now people grin or wave, but the cagers are still deaf in their little sound-proof econo-boxes. Makes me glad I wear a Hi-Viz helmet! I'd much rather be seen than heard.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #63
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
A Stebel is a VERY good addition as well.
I noticed that the stock horn on one of my bikes sounds like a real horn rather than the anemic meep of the other bike. So I was all set to install an OEM horn from one bike into the other.

Closer inspection revealed that they're the exact same part. Quieter (to me) one is pointed forward. Louder (to me) pointed sideways. So I suspect the quieter one is louder to cars. When I've honked that horn at a guy I was riding with who was ahead of me, he couldn't hear it.

Maybe it's time for a Stebel or similar. I rarely honk. But when I do it would be nice to be heard.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 05:31 PM   #64
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidji View Post
I noticed that the stock horn on one of my bikes sounds like a real horn rather than the anemic meep of the other bike. So I was all set to install an OEM horn from one bike into the other.

Closer inspection revealed that they're the exact same part. Quieter (to me) one is pointed forward. Louder (to me) pointed sideways. So I suspect the quieter one is louder to cars. When I've honked that horn at a guy I was riding with who was ahead of me, he couldn't hear it.

Maybe it's time for a Stebel or similar. I rarely honk. But when I do it would be nice to be heard.
they do help a bit but not when you really, really need them to
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #65
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
Loud pipes

Alright, we've only talked about loud pipes saving lives as they relate to auto drivers .............. DO LOUD PIPES HELP SAVE LIVE WITH RESPECT TO WILDLIFE?

I live in northwest CO where it's generally sparsely populated and I believe that where I typically ride, that there is a lot better chance of getting tangled up with local wildlife, than with another vehicle. Over the last several years I've come upon 3 different accidents where the bike rider had struck a deer. All 3 accidents involved bikes that looked to have had aftermarket exhausts. (one was a 1%er and it was straight pipes, but I DON'T KNOW for certain about the other two, they sorta' "looked loud" ) It always made sense to me that loud pipes would help shoo wildlife away from the roads ....... but my real world experiences say something different.

What say ye about this inmates? What have been your experiences/observations?
Old 04-06-2014, 07:51 PM   #66
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAD DAMAGE View Post
Alright, we've only talked about loud pipes saving lives as they relate to auto drivers .............. DO LOUD PIPES HELP SAVE LIVE WITH RESPECT TO WILDLIFE?

What say ye about this inmates? What have been your experiences/observations?
Back when mine were loud, pigeons and crows would scatter about thirty yards before I got to them.Hawks never gave a crap, same with buzzards. Rabbits and cats took off at twenty-odd yards. Same with dogs only they'd stick close to see what the hub-bub was about.

Deer, cattle, sheep, alpacas, donkeys, horses and llamas typically didn't give a tinker's damn. Another loud human
Old 04-06-2014, 08:01 PM   #67
davidji
bike curious

I've got video somewhere if a cow or two rearing up and bolting from a bike of mine with a quiet euro 3 exhaust.

As far as deer and loud pipes, I doubt consensus is possible. Dare I say deer whistle?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:54 AM   #68
CSI
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 439
I went from a Harley with Thunderheaders (loud), to a Harley with SE-II pipes (moderately loud), to a Harley with V&H Monster Ovals (a calm rumble) to a Goldwing (the radio is louder than the engine).

No problems with anybody trying to run me over. Of course I'm not stupid enough to ride in a cars blind spot, while counting on the noise to alert the driver to my presence.
CSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 01:24 AM   #69
Itchi
n00b

Oddometer: 7
i think it works.

I have just moved up from a silent honda spada to a dr650 with aftermarket muffler. it sounds like a lion pig roar/snorting.

i originally quit commuting because i was getting into close calls on the regular every week. And before you say that its my fault i'd like to give a little context.

sydney has really shitty drivers with almost no bike awareness. my mother has been in two accidents (one side one hilux trying to squeeze dangerously close in between two cars (except if the bike had been noticed there was physically no way the truck wasnt going to colide with my mum). Even more so the early morning drivers or rose bay and bondi are arrogant and often have children in them. more often then not they drive 4wd with high seats. they cannot hear or see me.

Now i am getting alot of appreciative looks from children who think its great and they point and wave. I also get alot of dirty looks from people who think i am being particularly rude when my engine claps but too be honest i am overjoyed that they are simply taking notice of me. I have yet to be in one near miss since (its only early) but so far so good. in contrast. on the ride back from buying the bike my mate was riding my spada and someone lane changed into him leaving him futilely honking his horn.
Itchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:11 AM   #70
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchi View Post
I have just moved up from a silent honda spada to a dr650 with aftermarket muffler. it sounds like a lion pig roar/snorting.

i originally quit commuting because i was getting into close calls on the regular every week. And before you say that its my fault i'd like to give a little context.

sydney has really shitty drivers with almost no bike awareness. my mother has been in two accidents (one side one hilux trying to squeeze dangerously close in between two cars (except if the bike had been noticed there was physically no way the truck wasnt going to colide with my mum). Even more so the early morning drivers or rose bay and bondi are arrogant and often have children in them. more often then not they drive 4wd with high seats. they cannot hear or see me.

Now i am getting alot of appreciative looks from children who think its great and they point and wave. I also get alot of dirty looks from people who think i am being particularly rude when my engine claps but too be honest i am overjoyed that they are simply taking notice of me. I have yet to be in one near miss since (its only early) but so far so good. in contrast. on the ride back from buying the bike my mate was riding my spada and someone lane changed into him leaving him futilely honking his horn.
If someone is lanechanging into you... you're doing it wrong, you can't ride alongside the cages, you always have to be ahead or behind them, and be ready for them to try and get you. But I'm sure you already knew that! I've had people almost lanechange into me driving large trucks for work, they're stupid and don't care to look before they go.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:28 AM   #71
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM7 View Post
ZERO benefit at the cost of TONS of annoyance.

Exactly.

Really loud pipes are guaranteed do one thing -- piss people off. Any "safety" effect is passive and wishful thinking at best. Ride in a way that you are not depending on a passive noise maker to alert others of your position -- IE stay out of blind spots. Think about how quiet the interiors on most modern cars are anyway -- most of them are DESIGNED to block outside noise.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #72
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatpasta View Post
I think more than loud pipes, big bright aux lights probably help the most. A Stebel is a VERY good addition as well. The combo of those two will do a pretty good job keeping you safe.
But there will be a day when no combination of pipes, horns and lights will save you from being hit when riding in a city. It's just a fact of life.
been thinking of adding more lights. just what and where on the bike, we'll see. also might get a stick on / off flashing triangle for my helmet

i had a stebel lying around and put it in today. unfortunately in my haste this afternoon i mounted it wonky and the actual horn shell broke off while i was riding on account of it being wedged between a rock and a hard place, so to speak. the horn still works but it sounds like a conventional car horn. should be loud enough on the road, i would think. don't want to get obsessive about horn volume when loud is loud and a stebel is simply.....louder. if dissatisfied or if people react as if they don't hear it i'll make a change
Old 04-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #73
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W. View Post
If the loud pipes saves lifes were true. Then all the BMW and Goldwing riders should have been killed years ago.

Cheers
Steve 01GS 78S
We live in a rural area that has a high number of Harleys. Neighbor down the road asked me what I did to make my bike ('92 BMW K100RS- stock everything) so quiet.

Had to explain that mine was what bikes sound like before they get those life saving loud pipes.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #74
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciferMutt View Post
Exactly.

Really loud pipes are guaranteed do one thing -- piss people off. Any "safety" effect is passive and wishful thinking at best. Ride in a way that you are not depending on a passive noise maker to alert others of your position -- IE stay out of blind spots. Think about how quiet the interiors on most modern cars are anyway -- most of them are DESIGNED to block outside noise.
I've found bikes cruising in my blind spots because I could hear their pipes.

Humans only have 4 senses, they can't smell me, and BETTER not feel me, that leaves sound and sight.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:59 PM   #75
davidji
bike curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
Humans only have 4 senses, they can't smell me, and BETTER not feel me, that leaves sound and sight.
Some of us have 5 senses. Don't care to use the 5th one here either though. The 6th sense might help...