Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #91
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
I think it's time we stopped blaming the Germans for everything.
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!?
Paebr332 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:00 AM   #92
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripped1 View Post
I've found bikes cruising in my blind spots because I could hear their pipes.
If only they knew enough to avoid blind spots...
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #93
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
DITTO THAT!!!

Why is it the "loud pipers" don't realize thier own riding faults, but try to make up for blatting their presence in some vieled sense of "safety". The other response was "I found bikes cruising in my blind spot because I could hear their pipes."

So,...the pipes corrected an obvious lack of traffic sense and space cushion control? What about the fact that the rider cruising in the blind spot was totally at fault for what could happen. Never cruise in someone's blind spot. Yet, the rider of said cruising, would surely blame the car driver if it took his lane.

Andyvh1959 screwed with this post 04-13-2014 at 01:12 PM
Andyvh1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:33 PM   #94
sdmichael
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh1959 View Post
DITTO THAT!!!

Why is it the "loud pipers" don't realize their own riding faults, but try to make up for my blatting their presence in some veiled sense of "safety". The other response was "I found bikes cruising in my blind spot because I could hear their pipes."

So,...the pipes corrected an obvious lack of traffic sense and space cushion control? What about the fact that the rider cruising in the blind spot was totally at fault for what could happen. Never cruise in someone's blind spot. Yet, the rider of said cruising, would surely blame the car driver if it took his lane.
I second that. The idea of putting your safety into the hands of others that are oblivious to your existence is a bad idea and shows poor riding skills. Loud pipes may increase your "visibility" but not your safety. Awareness of your surroundings, not the surroundings being aware of you, is what keeps you safe.
sdmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #95
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 8,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250bultaco View Post
So they're German plates?

Sorry, didn't spell check... it's a stinking "loud pipes" thread! It isn't worth the extra referencing work...

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 05:47 PM   #96
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 617
I rode a cruiser with loud-ish pipes for 6 years and almost 60k miles and never had a close call with a deer. Not once. In fact you could often see them running the other way. Also put about 10k on a dualsport that isn't exactly loud but you can hear it, and never had one jump in front of that either. Then I got a VStrom which is like riding a sewing machine down the road and had several close calls the first summer. Coincidence? -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:49 PM   #97
xltrider
Seasoned Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Thumb Really?

Haven't read any posts, BUT was wondering if anyone know sound waves travel the way of the exhaust gases. Unless your in a tunnel. Loud pipes give the person behind you a headache or annoy them. That's about it.
If loud pipes save lives, what would learning to ride well and brake safely do for you?
2012 Suzuki DL1000
xltrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #98
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
I rode a cruiser with loud-ish pipes for 6 years and almost 60k miles and never had a close call with a deer. Not once. In fact you could often see them running the other way. Also put about 10k on a dualsport that isn't exactly loud but you can hear it, and never had one jump in front of that either. Then I got a VStrom which is like riding a sewing machine down the road and had several close calls the first summer. Coincidence? -al
Trusting in loud pipes to save you is like trusting the germans not to bomb pearl harbor again.

(also,the sheer Ugly factor of Stroms causes cage drivers to swerve and hit them,best of luck)
Old 04-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #99
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by xltrider View Post
Haven't read any posts, BUT was wondering if anyone know sound waves travel the way of the exhaust gases. Unless your in a tunnel. Loud pipes give the person behind you a headache or annoy them. That's about it.
If loud pipes save lives, what would learning to ride well and brake safely do for you?
they do help in a specific situation, if you are in traffic and boxed in, stop and go. You and the cars next to you are constantly playing leap frog. I find with quiet pipes people will not notice the mere sight of you creeping past them into their field of vision, and will often try to cut in the lane thinking it's an empty space.

With a loud pipe you get on it when you roll past them, and have the burble when you slow down and they pass you back. They're much more likely to hear and then see you. Basically they help when you have to constantly pass cars and be passed back due to traffic, and you can't lane split and get the heck out of there. Most people in these situations are driving with their cell phones in their laps, texting away anyways.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #100
xltrider
Seasoned Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Trusting in loud pipes to save you is like trusting the germans not to bomb pearl harbor again.

(also,the sheer Ugly factor of Stroms causes cage drivers to swerve and hit them,best of luck)
The second comment is funny as hell. Other people reading this needs to know Foot Dragger owns a Wee Strom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pne View Post
they do help in a specific situation, if you are in traffic and boxed in, stop and go. You and the cars next to you are constantly playing leap frog. I find with quiet pipes people will not notice the mere sight of you creeping past them into their field of vision, and will often try to cut in the lane thinking it's an empty space.

With a loud pipe you get on it when you roll past them, and have the burble when you slow down and they pass you back. They're much more likely to hear and then see you. Basically they help when you have to constantly pass cars and be passed back due to traffic, and you can't lane split and get the heck out of there. Most people in these situations are driving with their cell phones in their laps, texting away anyways.
You are completely correct sir. I was thinking oncoming traffic or traffic in front of us. Good post for someone like me that didn't take ALL situations of riding into consideration. Well done.
2012 Suzuki DL1000
xltrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #101
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I really hope you're kidding here.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:26 PM   #102
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post

Not always an option.

In states that aren't California, you may be in the center lane with traffic moving in a lockstep. Odds are you are in someone's blind, you simply can't be on both sides of the lane at once.

Quote:

Why is it the "loud pipers" don't realize thier own riding faults, but try to make up for blatting their presence in some vieled sense of "safety". The other response was "I found bikes cruising in my blind spot because I could hear their pipes."
We all don't live in the middle of no where, my commutes have involved 3-4 four lanes of traffic for the last 15 years.

Quote:
Spoken like someone whom has never actually dealt with gridlock daily, if you leave a cushion, someone puts their car there. Furthermore, if someone takes your lane ...listen to that YOUR lane....it isn't your fault that THEY aren't fucking paying attention, I swear to hell you guys are like domestic violence victims.

For the record, the bike I have operational atm has stock pipes.
Tripped1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 06:34 PM   #103
DaLunk
Confused and Bemused

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by KX50002 View Post
I really hope you're kidding here.
Animal House reference. Bluto's inspirational rant.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #104
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,804
Right, now I have to watch animal house again. What torture

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #105
2strokemonster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM7 View Post
About an year ago, I bough a 97 Honda VFR750 with Akrapovic aftermarket exhaust, the rest of the bike was complete stock. I asked the seller about the reason, and he replied: "Well, it get cager's attention so less chance of being run over".
Anyhow, Its exhaust note felt cool at first. The bark of its V4 Engine from full on Akraovic's is really "THROATY & LOUD"!!! But its getting more and more annoying as time passing by. So much that I'm seriously thinking about removing Povic's and fitting something quiter, much quiter, Preferabily stock.
From what I've noticed so far is that loud exhaust doesn't make any noticeable difference. Cager's still don't notice me, they still try to shove me in the corner, they still seem surprised when I overtake them, they still brake real hard right in front of me. While on the other hand, its exhaust note is making me deaf... What's the point really? My neighbours are getting mad as since I warm up the bike every morning (I ride her daily) and they thinks I'm doing that on purpose. I even told them that this thing got 4 carbs, but they just grin at me! Not to mention, a little girl got REAL sacred when I revved up the bike in an underground parking lot. ZERO benefit at the cost of TONS of annoyance. What's your opinion?

Once I was highway riding, and a camry started to drift into me. Yes, I could have mashed the brakes or moved onto the shoulder, but I just pinned it against the rev limiter. She got back over fast. (I have a bullshit early japanese horn, above 40 the sound cant seem to escape fast enough to be heard by drivers in front of me).

The other time, I was riding behind my friend who was a new rider on a 250 rebel. We were riding into DC for the "colbert rally to restore sanity" a few years back. Sure enough chingchongdingdong with diplomat plates begins to merge over into my buddy who didn't see it and traffic was too dense/moving too fast to our left to get out of the way. (Rebels max out at like 60something lol) I again pulled in the clutch and sent it to 13000 with a race can and equal length headers. That car got back in his lane real quick. That one was the only time that it may have indeed saved a life, because I wasn't able to signal to my friend and he is a fucking spaz anyways he woulda got run over hard.
2strokemonster is offline   Reply With Quote