User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
milo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
GSAw Luggage Locks Question?

So FedEx just delivered the locks for my Adventure bags (2014 R1200GSA). 18 of them. Only need six, three per side. Until this year the locks were sold individually so the dealer would order a quantity of six locks (three per bag). Now a quantity of one means three locks (for a whole bag) so the dealer received and was charged for 18 locks, like $900 retail! Anyway I got them installed.

On my 2012 GSA the lid latches could latch and unlatch while unlocked w/o the key. On the 2014 only the front latch will function w/o the key, is this how everyone else's works? This means the rear latch will remain locked and the lids will open from the front. Given the choice I would leave the front locked and open it from the rear.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
Dakar 4 L
Larie

Oddometer: 16
Waiting for delivery of my GSWA in 2-3 weeks. I ordered locks for the BMW cases. I will try to remember to post back with my experience.
09 F800 GS (sold), 07 RT (for sale)
Reno, NV
Dakar 4 L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #3
Astolfo
Wicked Slow

Oddometer: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakar 4 L View Post
Waiting for delivery of my GSWA in 2-3 weeks. I ordered locks for the BMW cases. I will try to remember to post back with my experience.
what boat is it in? do you have a container number?
Astolfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 03:38 PM   #4
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo View Post
So FedEx just delivered the locks for my Adventure bags (2014 R1200GSA). 18 of them. Only need six, three per side. Until this year the locks were sold individually so the dealer would order a quantity of six locks (three per bag). Now a quantity of one means three locks (for a whole bag) so the dealer received and was charged for 18 locks, like $900 retail! Anyway I got them installed.

On my 2012 GSA the lid latches could latch and unlatch while unlocked w/o the key. On the 2014 only the front latch will function w/o the key, is this how everyone else's works? This means the rear latch will remain locked and the lids will open from the front. Given the choice I would leave the front locked and open it from the rear.

Mine works with or without the key. I can lock the front and open the rear latch, or the other way. Any combo, mine works fine..

Smitty
2009 Yamaha WR250R...1999 YZ250
smitty141 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:09 AM   #5
Dakar 4 L
Larie

No container number! I just got word from the dealer that it is on a truck from the US warehouse to Reno, Sierra BMW. It should arrive here Thursday or Friday.
Reno, NV
Old 04-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
milo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141 View Post
Mine works with or without the key. I can lock the front and open the rear latch, or the other way. Any combo, mine works fine..

Smitty

Thanks Smitty. If I ever get back to the dealer I'll have them sort it out. On both bags the rear latch housing (where the lock cylinder is inserted) is different from the front latches.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:42 PM   #7
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Thanks Smitty. If I ever get back to the dealer I'll have them sort it out. On both bags the rear latch housing (where the lock cylinder is inserted) is different from the front latches.
Do you/can you take pics of FRONT and REAR latches...would like to see the 'new improvement'.
LaurelPerryOnLand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
milo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurelPerryOnLand View Post
Do you/can you take pics of FRONT and REAR latches...would like to see the 'new improvement'.
"Improvement!" LOL. I can but externally I don't believe it would show anything. The difference between my front and rear lid latches are inside the plastic housing where the lock cylinder is inserted. One has a slot in a different location which allows key removal in the unlocked position, the other does not.

milo screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 11:00 AM
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty141 View Post

Smitty
This is the correct response
Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 AM   #10
gr8grins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Old lock cores

Does anyone know if the lock cores from the BMW boxes on a 2012 GSA can be used on the new boxes?

If so, how is one to remove them and install them in the new boxes?

I know the keys would be different and that's ok. I'd just like to have some locks for my new boxes.
Thanks
gr8grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:20 AM   #11
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8grins View Post
Does anyone know if the lock cores from the BMW boxes on a 2012 GSA can be used on the new boxes?

If so, how is one to remove them and install them in the new boxes?

I know the keys would be different and that's ok. I'd just like to have some locks for my new boxes.
Thanks
To REMOVE the locks from your 2012 GSA...

1. Insert your KEY and UNLOCK the lock.
2. ROTATE the lock to the FULLY OPEN position.
2A. Move the entire LOCK MECHANISM (Lock and housing) to it's fully OPEN position.
3. Turn the pannier UPSIDE DOWN to gain access to the underside of the lock BARREL.
4. Shine a flashlight or 'torch' on the underside of the barrel furthest from where the KEY is insert.
5. You'll see either "2 squares" or a "tab" sticking out of the end where the barrel is normally inserted.
(If you see "2 squares"...the "tab" is 180 degrees on the opposite side. Rotate the barrel with the key to see.
6. DEPRESS the "tab" while exerting force in the direction of the KEY. You can use a pick or small jewelers screwdriver to depress the 'tab'.

The above process may take you 10-15 minutes on your first try...discovering WHERE everything is...and then becoming dexterous with your pick or screw driver. Second time...30-seconds!

NOTE: BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THE BARREL AFTER REMOVAL ...as it contains TINY springs and LOCK 'WAFERS" that can slide out unexpectedly. DAMHIK.

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 04-09-2014 at 09:42 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #12
ADKADVRider
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:

I had the same problem with the locks on my Touratech cases and after some troubleshooting I discovered that the rear locks were installed "upside down". After diassembling and installing correctly I can now lock / unlock, open / close in any combination.

2012 F650GS Twin
ADKADVRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #13
milo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKADVRider View Post
I had the same problem with the locks on my Touratech cases and after some troubleshooting I discovered that the rear locks were installed "upside down". After diassembling and installing correctly I can now lock / unlock, open / close in any combination.
Hmmm. I'll try removing them and installing them once again. When I put them in and saw the key wouldn't come out unless locked I tried turning the locks 180 degrees but could't insert them that way.
Old 05-03-2014, 05:52 AM   #14
Dakar 4 L
Larie

I got my last BMW Pannier yesterday for my '14 GSWA and checked out the locks for you.
I have the 2 panniers and the top box. Dealer installed the locks.
The 3 locks on the latches that hold the pannier/box to the frame work the same: I cannot remove the key when it is unlocked. I can only remove the key when it is locked. I think that is a good thing :)
The 5 locks for the latches to open/close the pannier/box all work the same: I can remove the key whether locked or unlocked.
I hope that helps!
Cheers,
Reno, NV
Old 05-03-2014, 06:11 AM   #15
milo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Dakar. As it turned out I did have the cylinder installed 180 degrees off on the rear latch on the left case so after correcting that I can leave it unlocked and remove the key. However that's not the case for the rear latch on the right side case. That latch internally is different than the one on the front and the two on the left case. There is no cavity or slot molded in the plastic to allow the cylinder tabs to remain out when unlocked which is needed in order to remove the key.

After reading these posts on another thread I wonder if my problem was discovered and held up some cases until it was corrected? Unfortunately I had my cases Linex'd while waiting for the locks to arrive. In order to change my latch they'll have to cut into the liner to get to the rivets to drill them out

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrasive View Post
Have now heard from dealer that the RH cases are scheduled to leave Germany mid- to late-May. What in the fuck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector Leto View Post
....Dealer said something about a manufacturing issue at Touratech, who apparently makes theses cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebob View Post

But they claim that BMW recalled the right side cases for a latch problem, so no side cases.

Right case due to ship on the 15th and arrive by the end of the month. Gah!!