User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2014, 11:45 PM   #1
schwie OP
Wanna B Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Need your opinion Guys

I checked out a fully, I mean fully loaded R12GSA with 7k miles! I mean gps, ESA, all 3 BMW cans, fog and LED lights, sergeant seat and stock, 2 sets of tires, skid plates, etc. The bike is black with red beak which the same color goes through the middle of the tank.Absolutely a beautiful bike but heres the catch, 16.6K price. I was considering holding off for a cam head but this hex head seems mighty tempting. Am I nuts and what would be a reasonable price because a dealer would like have this bike jacked up pretty high. Does 15.5k seem like a far deal? I believe the only thing I would consider to add is add'l engine guards then be done. Is this a good deal or shall I hold off?

Thanks for you input guys
schwie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
Steiney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Year...?
Old 04-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #3
schwie OP
Wanna B Adventurer

Sorry guys, year is a 2009. Thanks Steiney for bringing that detail to light.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:13 AM   #4
JoeyHonz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
For a bike that's 6 model years old, I would look to pay the 12k - 13k range.

Sounds like it's loaded up nicely but I would be wary of a bike that's so loaded up with next to no miles on it..... It would cause me to pause.....

Just my $.02

Good luck with your search
Old 04-06-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
schwie OP
Wanna B Adventurer

The first owner was a dentist and put 1.8k miles and sold it to the current owner whom has taken it to 7k miles. Current owner has been fighting some vertigo issues and due to that has laid off riding. The bike is in perfect shape for the most part, I was just thinking that 15K offer is fair but just not sure due to mileage and add-ons.

A 2010 Cam head is available here as well with Jesse panniers. The bike has 26K miles with a few options. The guy is asking 14.7k but I have yet to see the bike in person. He too is the second owner and stated both he and the 1st owner just did highway riding for the most part with very little off road such as dirt roads and forest service roads. I was head strong on the 2010 until I seen and rode the 2009, now I'm just confused.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:37 AM   #6
diabolik37
Push Dumb C***

Oddometer: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwie View Post
The first owner was a dentist and put 1.8k miles and sold it to the current owner whom has taken it to 7k miles. Current owner has been fighting some vertigo issues and due to that has laid off riding. The bike is in perfect shape for the most part, I was just thinking that 15K offer is fair but just not sure due to mileage and add-ons.

A 2010 Cam head is available here as well with Jesse panniers. The bike has 26K miles with a few options. The guy is asking 14.7k but I have yet to see the bike in person. He too is the second owner and stated both he and the 1st owner just did highway riding for the most part with very little off road such as dirt roads and forest service roads. I was head strong on the 2010 until I seen and rode the 2009, now I'm just confused.
I wouldn't trust a dentist as a first owner... They go through a lot of stress and then use the bike as a calming device by abusing it... my doctor told me that...The vertigo story could be an excuse to sell the bike that was abuse by the dentist....
Old 04-06-2014, 03:19 AM   #7
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 711
I think they are both high priced. I am riding a 2010 R1200GS that had 17000 miles on it when I bought it April 2013 and I paid $12500 agreed no bags ( I had a set of Varios) but ESA ABS and upgraded lights. I was looking at a 2011 GS at Venture BMW in Moorpark CA yesterday with 17500 miles for $14500 and that was a dealer. It has ABS ESA. ASC.TPM, Vario bags. bmwventura.com
Take you time the right bike will come but if your heart is set on one of these, go for it they are both nicely set up.
Don't worry about the pessimist's both California and Arizona are great states to buy since so many professionals watch "A Long Way Around" buy a bike scare the crap out of themselves one time and sell it. Good luck with your purchase.

pceire32 screwed with this post 04-06-2014 at 03:29 AM
pceire32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:14 AM   #8
schwie OP
Wanna B Adventurer

Well said Pceire32, well said, thank you.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #9
Marine By Choice
Sergeant 0311

Oddometer: 187
Wink

If either is what you are looking to buy, are equipped as you desire, and you can afford one, then, by all means, go for it. To wait for a "better deal", then be sorry for not buying one of these, has been done by too many filled with remorse too many times.

Buy one and you can immediately be riding. To wait you are still a pedestrian!
Marine By Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
SPX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwie View Post
I checked out a fully, I mean fully loaded R12GSA with 7k miles! I mean gps, ESA, all 3 BMW cans, fog and LED lights, sergeant seat and stock, 2 sets of tires, skid plates, etc. The bike is black with red beak which the same color goes through the middle of the tank.Absolutely a beautiful bike but heres the catch, 16.6K price. I was considering holding off for a cam head but this hex head seems mighty tempting. Am I nuts and what would be a reasonable price because a dealer would like have this bike jacked up pretty high. Does 15.5k seem like a far deal? I believe the only thing I would consider to add is add'l engine guards then be done. Is this a good deal or shall I hold off?

Thanks for you input guys
The bike is worth what you're willing to pay, which sounds like $15.5k. Make them and offer and see if they take it. Let us know what they say!
SPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:27 AM   #11
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
If it's 2 sets of wheels, not tires and at least one set is wire wheels, those are good for over $1k right here on the flea market if you wanted to recoup some of your costs.

Bike seems a bit high but not if it has 2 sets of wheels and you can get it for 15k.
Does it have an extended warranty too?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:40 AM   #12
GP1200
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Way too much for a Hexhead. Remember, every seller thinks their item is the best and worth more than others. The owner should sell the wheels himself and he needs to ask a lot less for the bike. If you are patient, I can guarantee the bike will sit for a long time and he'll be happy to get $ 12K for it.
People who buy used stuff always want an amazing deal, it's a weird mentality but it's reality. You can have two bikes, one brand new, and one 6 months old and 10 miles on it, that guy will lose his shirt and yet the bikes are in virtually the same condition. On the flip side, people somehow feel safer buying the new one and paying thousands of dollars more.

On another note, I myself feel less is more when it comes to buying BMW's . The more loaded it is, the more likely it's going to piss you off with a ridiculous bill in the future. I absolutely don't need ABS, ASC,ESA, TPM, .....PMS.....LOL
GP1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
jslyter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by pceire32 View Post
I think they are both high priced. I am riding a 2010 R1200GS that had 17000 miles on it when I bought it April 2013 and I paid $12500 agreed no bags ( I had a set of Varios) but ESA ABS and upgraded lights. I was looking at a 2011 GS at Venture BMW in Moorpark CA yesterday with 17500 miles for $14500 and that was a dealer. It has ABS ESA. ASC.TPM, Vario bags. bmwventura.com
GSA's with Adv. bags are going to run you a fair amount more than comparable GS's with Vario's. That said, if you want the best possible deal, you are just going to have to sit back and see what comes up in your area and see what the market will bear. The "etc" you use when you list options can make a big difference. I was looking for a GSA for a long time, and when I saw the list of options on the one I pulled the trigger on, I knew I was getting a deal I could be happy with. I actually went online and added up the cost of all the extra's. I knew it was going to be a lot, but was still a bit shocked when the extra's came to about 9K (retail). The nice thing about going used is that all those extra's are only pennies on the $ vs new.

Check out our Flea Market, there are some GSA's there. You can see how the one you are looking at compares (year, mileage, condition, options, and price wise). Don't forget the convenience of having one in your area that you can look at before making an offer and just riding home has value too.
jslyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #14
pceire32
Irish

Oddometer: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by jslyter View Post
GSA's with Adv. bags are going to run you a fair amount more than comparable GS's with Vario's. That said, if you want the best possible deal, you are just going to have to sit back and see what comes up in your area and see what the market will bear. The "etc" you use when you list options can make a big difference. I was looking for a GSA for a long time, and when I saw the list of options on the one I pulled the trigger on, I knew I was getting a deal I could be happy with. I actually went online and added up the cost of all the extra's. I knew it was going to be a lot, but was still a bit shocked when the extra's came to about 9K (retail). The nice thing about going used is that all those extra's are only pennies on the $ vs new.

Check out our Flea Market, there are some GSA's there. You can see how the one you are looking at compares (year, mileage, condition, options, and price wise). Don't forget the convenience of having one in your area that you can look at before making an offer and just riding home has value too.
The OP talked about 2 bikes a 2009 ADV & 2010 GS (read the thread) my comparison was obviously on the GS in question not the ADV. He understood that. I sick by my original statement "I feel they are both over priced. " $16500 for a 2009? "But buy if you heart tells you too."
That is my opinion, you of course are allowed too yours and I won't criticize you for it or compare apples to oranges.
pceire32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #15
Danger4u2
'04KX500isDanger4u2

Oddometer: 609
Keep looking. I found this on Craigslist, it was a trade in at a Honda dealership.
I found many bikes at a good price and mileage this winter but to much snow to
do a fly in and ride home. 2011 GSA 31,400 miles for $13,000 out the door. Few scrapes here and there.
Bent windshield bracket, broken plastic things at the adjustment point $11 dollars.
I bought a new front tire, dealership install a new rear tire to help sell the bike.
There are WAY more bikes for sale than there are people to buy them.
You have be very willing to say NO. It's your money keep looking for a sweet deal.
I did and I think I got very good value for my money.
Use this search engine. http://www.searchtempest.com/