Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 09:52 AM   #31
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKFoster View Post
Yeah, I think he broke them. I won't mention to his dad because his dad didn't want him to sit on the bike but I said it was okay. I might tell the boy about the perils of forcing anything mechanical but I'm not going to make a big deal of it. I learned a lesson.
I think you made a mistake and should take yourself out behind the woodshed and give yourself a good talking to about letting a kid sit on your multi-thousand dollar motorcycle just because you want to be a good guy.

You're the one who made the mistake. Don't scold the boy....you'll only make an enemy or sever a friendship. Buy him an ice cream and tell him, "Sorry, no more sitting on my motorcycle. It is not safe".

def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:33 PM   #32
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
With that said, there's somebody in Vendors who does 1150 throttle-body rebuild kits, even though the TBs aren't designed to be serviceable. Maybe he might be able to help?
I bought throttle plates and shafts from Bing, and serviced the TBs on my 1150. The brass had worn, and the shafts were rattling. Afterwards, good as new. Not so hard, and you just need to take care when resetting the TPS, and balancing the stop screws. JohnJen has touched on this "secret stuff" and his notes can be found scattered through the GSpot.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #33
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,864
One day, they're gonna make the pistons out of plastic.

BMWs are becoming cheaply-made motorcycles. There are just some pieces on a motorcycle, car, motor vehicle that should not be made out of plastic.

I wonder it Dan Cata can help out.

Dan, are you watching this? Any ideas?
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:43 PM   #34
lewisjr1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Ouch! POS plastic parts. BMW's cost cutting coulda stranded you far from home. Too bad they don't make a replacement out of metal, yet.
lewisjr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #35
GroceryRun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Email reply from Fatherland :

[QUOTE]
Quote:

I just got off the phone with Bing in KS. They don't know anything about the Bing 77 / 47 /101 & 102 throttle bodies. He said they only have parts for the 75 series and back. My parts are too new. He said he would have to call the Fatherland to see what would be an appropriate parts list. I never even got to tell him what I needed.

I thanked him for his time.

I emailed Bing Germany, Fatherland, on your behalf, ( hope this is acceptable with you ) and hyperlinked this thread.
Bing Germany, replied :

Dear Groceryrun:

The number of the cable pully for Typ 77 is 158-473-08 and you can order this parts in USA at: Bing Carburetor [bing@bingcarburetor.com] or phone: Direct Line: 620-767-7846.
best regards
C. Prell
BING Power Systems GmbH
Service-Team
GroceryRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #36
BKFoster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
[QUOTE=GroceryRun;23885511]
Quote:

( hope this is acceptable with you )
I find this perfectly acceptable. I appreciate your efforts.

I called Bing USA again and spoke with a gentleman. He looked up the part number supplied and said his system was showing some in stock but the is no bin for that part number.

He asked that I call back when the technician is back from lunch. I'll keep you posted.
BKFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #37
Pongo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Looking at the picture it does seem that there are new brakes across from each other and the old crack with grime in it perpendicular to them, as you noted. The kid may well have saved you a great deal of trouble by doing this in your garage.
Its like my apendix rupturing on Friday, total bummer, but good karma for me that it wasn't on a road trip or on a long canoe trip.
Pongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:50 PM   #38
BKFoster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKFoster View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryRun View Post

I find this perfectly acceptable. I appreciate your efforts.
I called Bing USA again and spoke with a gentleman. He looked up the part number supplied and said his system was showing some in stock but the is no bin for that part number.

He asked that I call back when the technician is back from lunch. I'll keep you posted.
Well, I called Bing again and after a bit of back and forth he said he had one on the parts but would have to order the other side. He took my number and said he would let me know when it came in. Pretty non-committal and if I did not have a replacement set of TBs already in the post I would be less than optimistic about riding anytime soon.

I asked if he could tell me how these are fixed to the shaft and he had no idea. He said they have never seen this type of throttle body. Are they really that reliable that they have never been repaired in what 7 years or so that they have been fixed to r1200s?

Anyway it looks like they are pressed on to me. I guess I need to go strip one down and see what makes it tick.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #39
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Just a comment from the peanut gallery - you really have no way of knowing some asshole messed with your bike while it was parked outside, who may have twisted the throttle so strongly that the force introduced stress cracks on the cheap plastic cable cams. I've had to chase miscreants away from my GS a few times.

I agree with others who have expressed that the kid did you a favor in breaking them, he saved you the bother of having them break while out on a ride.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:50 PM   #40
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,594
DOH - 205ed if a prior post.

Oh well I made the picture so it is staying up.

Based on the picture of how they mount and since you are considering replacing the throttle bodies how about this idea.

You epoxy them back into place, then drill 4 small holes through the plastic and the metal for some very short fine thread screws and nuts. Or what ever you can get in there, roll pins might also work.

This will mechanically fasten them to the bodies in addition to the epoxy.

All it will cost is a little time on your part, and if that doesn't work you can still get the new throttle bodies.

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #41
roadrage
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
I would clean the crap out of the parts, maybe even gently scuff up the surfaces, then splooge a high grade epoxy into the slot of the broken piece, prior to slipping into place. Maybe even epoxy a piece of safety wire around the perimeter to help retain the shape. Good epoxy should keep it there without further problem. You could also get some fiber mesh and embed it in epoxy smeared on the visible surface to build further integrity.

I would be wary of drilling holes in the plastic and putting a screw in there. The plastic is already brittle from heat and age, adding a screw could potentially crack the plastic in a new place.

Really really stupid of BMW to make this part out of plastic. I bet the replacement part is an assembly with shaft.
roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #42
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrage View Post
Really really stupid of BMW to make this part out of plastic. I bet the replacement part is an assembly with shaft.
Is it a BMW part, or a Bing part that BMW specified?
Old 04-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #43
GroceryRun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Do you think the broken throttle body cable pulley has anything to do with the
rough idle problem you've been having ?
GroceryRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:46 PM   #44
roadrage
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Is it a BMW part, or a Bing part that BMW specified?
Ok, good point there... but who else uses these Bing TBs? Possibly BMW spec'd?
roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:51 PM   #45
BKFoster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Just a comment from the peanut gallery - you really have no way of knowing some asshole messed with your bike while it was parked outside, who may have twisted the throttle so strongly that the force introduced stress cracks on the cheap plastic cable cams. I've had to chase miscreants away from my GS a few times.

I agree with others who have expressed that the kid did you a favor in breaking them, he saved you the bother of having them break while out on a ride.
I agree with the thinking of holding my tongue. The fact is I don't know that he broke them. I didn't see him twisting the grip, I just know is was working well a few hours before and the next time I got on it (the following morning) it was bad.

Adding to the mix, my brother-in-law is active Navy and is Permanent Change of Station next week. The boy and his mom will follow Dad in a few months. If I say anything now it will make a tough family dynamic tougher. He will be missing his dad and I will just be a dick.

If I do anything with the boy it will just involve tools (of which his father owns none), a minor repair or project, and some general tips on torque and the evils of the over-abundance of same. doG knows I could've used that lesson in my day. I am never going to mention this to him or his pa, much to my wife's relief.

Much of my angst has waned and it is entirely possible the boy had nothing to do with this.

BKFoster screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 05:22 PM