Old 04-08-2014, 05:08 PM   #46
BKFoster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroceryRun View Post
Do you think the broken throttle body cable pulley has anything to do with the
rough idle problem you've been having ?
I didn't know anyone had read that thread.

I don't think so. I had just serviced the bike that week and had ridden around town quite a bit. It was running fine.

I mentioned the AF-XIED in my first post. I put those on the prior week also after pulling off my Power Commander. While I liked the PC for the most part, I was desperate to fix that idle problem and thought (with some help) that the O2 sensors needed to be back in the loop (heh-heh). Plus I have had reservations about the PC for some time. I took a ride over Tioga Pass last summer and the damn thing wouldn't run for crap....way too rich. So I had been looking to do something different.

Well when I took off the PC one of the connections to an injector was pretty foul with corrosion. Really odd because every other connection looked pristine. Anyway I am hoping that was the cause of the intermittent-idle issue. But I wont know until it wont idle again (?).

BKFoster screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 05:24 PM
BKFoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:21 PM   #47
BKFoster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
DOH - 205ed if a prior post.

Oh well I made the picture so it is staying up.

Based on the picture of how they mount and since you are considering replacing the throttle bodies how about this idea.

You epoxy them back into place, then drill 4 small holes through the plastic and the metal for some very short fine thread screws and nuts. Or what ever you can get in there, roll pins might also work.

This will mechanically fasten them to the bodies in addition to the epoxy.

All it will cost is a little time on your part, and if that doesn't work you can still get the new throttle bodies.

I am probably going to try to do something with them. My hope would be to repair them with parts from Bing.

If those parts are Unobtainium I will attempt to fashion a repair. You guys have some good ideas on how to go about it.

BKFoster screwed with this post 04-08-2014 at 06:33 PM
Old 04-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #48
wrysingfeenix
Dust off those ashes

Oddometer: 624
Thumb NOW you're talkin'...good on you

Some things are more important than some other things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKFoster View Post
I agree with the thinking of holding my tongue. The fact is I don't know that he broke them. I didn't see him twisting the grip, I just know is was working well a few hours before and the next time I got on it (the following morning) it was bad.

Adding to the mix, my brother-in-law is active Navy and is Permanent Change of Station next week. The boy and his mom will follow Dad in a few months. If I say anything now it will make a tough family dynamic tougher. He will be missing his dad and I will just be a dick.

If I do anything with the boy it will just involve tools (of which his father owns none), a minor repair or project, and some general tips on torque and the evils of the over-abundance of same. doG knows I could've used that lesson in my day. I am never going to mention this to him or his pa, much to my wife's relief.

Much of my angst has waned and it is entirely possible the boy had nothing to do with this.
---'80 Honda CB750 Cafe Project
---'09 Vespa GT200 Granturismo
wrysingfeenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:13 AM   #49
spoon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
A wise course.
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #50
BKFoster OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Fun Fact

It might be old news to you all, but today I discovered the TB shaft rides on tiny needle bearings.

Good thing this happened to me now. They are pretty dry and look like they could have failed at any time.

I'm gonna go get some throttle body bearing grease and lube 'em up.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:44 PM   #51
GS Addict
Pepperfool

Oddometer: 3,347
Very interesting, the oilheads have bushings which wear.
Thanks for posting.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #52
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 14,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
Very interesting, the oilheads have bushings which wear.
Thanks for posting.
Bearings more better than bushings in this application.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #53
roadrage
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 994
Wonder if the bearing is retrofitable to bushing TBs. Then again, I'm not sure I think Bearings are better than bushings for this.
roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:50 AM   #54
billdonna
Ex Coelis

Oddometer: 883
Quote:
I agree with the thinking of holding my tongue. The fact is I don't know that he broke them. I didn't see him twisting the grip, I just know is was working well a few hours before and the next time I got on it (the following morning) it was bad.

Adding to the mix, my brother-in-law is active Navy and is Permanent Change of Station next week. The boy and his mom will follow Dad in a few months. If I say anything now it will make a tough family dynamic tougher. He will be missing his dad and I will just be a dick.

If I do anything with the boy it will just involve tools (of which his father owns none), a minor repair or project, and some general tips on torque and the evils of the over-abundance of same. doG knows I could've used that lesson in my day. I am never going to mention this to him or his pa, much to my wife's relief.

Much of my angst has waned and it is entirely possible the boy had nothing to do with this.
It is never wrong to take the high road. Well done sir
Old 04-10-2014, 08:36 AM   #55
Lensgrinder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:

Your idea about helping him learn some skills is a good one.

I would try to turn it into something of a life lesson on perception,
start off by telling him you don't think he had anything to do with it breaking, but it would be easy to perceive that, and that any time he uses or handles something that belongs to someone else there is that risk.

It may help him to be a little more aware of the situation and save him some grief in the future.

You will be someone he feels he can come to in times of trouble and he's already going through a rough time having to move for his dad's job.
good luck.
Lensgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote