Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #16
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyRider View Post
So how long should it take a mechanic with 40 years experience(not me!....I wish!) who has installed a dozen Rekluse on other bikes? I'm assuming we need to replace the gasket? Anything else that is involved?
To echo Erling, 30 minutes tops for install. My first go 'round I did it in 1 hour using only the tools I carry on the bike along with snapping pics as I went.

To those concerned about engine braking? I run the early engagement springs and have had no issues with sudden freewheeling and when the bike is moving the clutch will not freewheel if I try, something I can do easily on my 450EXC.

IMO the most important item to use caution with is the seal around the shifter shaft. Clean any and all of the grime off before removal and use care when placing the cover back on. I have had the cover off 5 times and have as of yet to tear the cover gasket, use care and pay attention as you are pulling the cover up, my gasket was initially stuck to the case just right of the shifter shaft, simply worked it free before I pulled the cover off.

Proper adjustment is crucial, not enough space to explain just how important this is. I will be able to help as I can once folks start getting these in, the instructions are spot on but I have seen enough folks simply bypass the written directions and use the YouTube vids. Do yourself a favor, use the directions provided for install and adjustment... JMHO and certainly not a slam on anyone as I have not watched all of them, my experience with my first install on my YZ a few years ago taught me that just maybe Rekluse knew better.

Once you have it I am certain you will be happy with the Rekluse and will agree that the wait was worth it. Rekluse did not want to release a product that was marginal, between all the test mules and Corys win at the D100 I would say they have accomplished their goal of being bullet proof and ready for release. For the commuters who deal with stop and go on a routine basis? Works like a dream. For those who push the envelope off road? No left arm pump and control is something that must be experienced to believe.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:31 AM   #17
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
As my fellow beta tester Chet reported above, it really can be tuned to each rider's style.
A little background of how this works, in case you are unfamiliar with the inner workings. You take out some of the stock clutch plates ( friction discs, and drive plates) and install the EXP. It consist of two machined outer plates, as I pictured earlier. I between them, you have centrifugal weights, and springs holding the pack together. The springs hold the EXP together. As the EXP is static it has a certain with. As rpm is increased above idle, the weights are forced out wards. They ride on a ramp with the Teflon discs in between. So as they are slung out wards the EXP will expand in with. When doing so, the clutch will mate, and you will begin forward motion. The beauty is that the springs, that the EXP comes with are interchangeable. There are a set of soft, and hard springs along with the kit. There are 6 springs in the EXP and you can run soft......hard...... Or a mixtur of 3 soft, and 3 hard.... For a result of medium. Chet enjoyed soft springs. Cory, and myself used 3 soft and 3 hard, for a total of medium springs. It is really simple, and perhaps no right, or wrong. Simply with softer springs holding together the EXP, the weights moves out wards a little quicker, and with medium they delay not just a little before expanding, but the engagement itself, changes caricature as well. This is where opinions can differ. No right or wrong here again. When I tried the soft springs early on, I thought it was a little mushy of an engagement, sorta like the cvt on a scooter..... Yes..... I have one of those as well..... I also thought that it was not as precise, as with the medium which kept the EXP together for about 100 more rpm, and when engaged at 1650 rpm, it was precise...... Predictable......sudden, but yet very controlled. Another issue I had with soft springs, we're I felt the weights would engage too easy, and I did not feel that there were enough clamping force at idle, and to some extend, even at idle the EXP was not 100% contracted! resulting in unnecessary friction! that eventually could wear the clutch prematurely. The above is my own conclusion, and might not be what you feel is right for you, but I have tested this thing since it saw light, a little over a year ago, and stand by that assessment. The key part to take away from this, is that it is tunable, to each own rider.

Another big thing is that you can control the engagement with what is called free play gain. As you will soon see in my instal video, (videos) as they are unlocked on you tube, after install you check the free play gain by either wrapping a rubber band ( supplied with the kit) or just as I do, applying light pressure with a finger on the clutch lever, while revving the bike, and you will see as the EXP expands the lever will move inward. I run about 5 mm, which creates a little more drag at idle, but ensures that the EXP remains engaged through out downshifts, and other techno down hills. This is adjusted with your cable tension on your clutch cable perch.

This should offer a little technical info on what, it is, and how it does it.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #18
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

No Group buy.

Rekluse will be making a limited production, and a group buy is not feasible. They are considering a pre buy however. If they do, I will ring the bell.

Erling
Old 04-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #19
TYC
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Thanks for the update erling.
TYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:13 AM   #20
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYC View Post
Thanks for the update erling.
Yeppers.....

Erling
Old 04-11-2014, 08:09 PM   #21
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by telejojo View Post
Do they make one for a KLR?
Not sure if you were serious or not...

But yes, Rekluse did make a Z-Start Pro for the KLR. It fit up to the 2011 models. There was a change somewhere in the clutch on 2012+ KLR's where the correct gap can't be achieved. Or at least I couldn't and Rekluse couldn't...

I know 'change' and KLR in the same sentence is a bit of an oxymoron.

Sorry for threadjack.
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:59 AM   #22
RobbieO
Banned

Oddometer: 8,161
None of your photos in post #1 are showing up......

Price yet?
RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #23
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieO View Post
None of your photos in post #1 are showing up......

Price yet?
Sorry, I know, too much traffic and I use all the monthly bandwith at PB. They will reset on the 23'rd of each month. I guess I have had too many projects as of lately. No idea on the price yet. I suspect that we should know more in the next two weeks.

Erling
Old 05-02-2014, 09:39 PM   #24
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pre order your Rekluse.

In the desert southwest we have these crazy spring wins, and it only takes about 35 mph, and the dust fly. Today was a break in the wind, and we rode. Did about 350 miles where 200 was slab, and the rest..... well. about 40-50 river crossings, and techno rock'ing...... Need to edit the video, but in the next 24 hrs, should be avail. On the other side...... Here is what we know....
Rekluse will accept preorders beginning May 26, for the following..... They are ramping up production, and be mid to late June for the products to ship.

RMS-6305A EXP - BMW F650/700/800 Parallel Twin

Model Coverage is as follows:

As soon as I hear back, I will unlock the install videos on my you tube channel......
I will post a link to todays ride here. I tried to show a lot of different terrain, and how the clutch behaved, to hopefully satisfy the curiosity.

Erling
Old 05-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #25
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Teasers...

While I edit the video.... Here are a few pic's from todays ride.....

Erling
Old 05-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #26
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post

Tha man!
Old 05-02-2014, 09:59 PM   #27
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
Tha man!
This is one of the coolest trips in NM. You cross the River 52 times in about 30 miles. This picture is of the exit of the canyon. If anyone are in the neighborhood...... It is called the Monticello Box canyon. The idiot in the picture...... no clue who that is.....

Erling
Old 05-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #28
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Todays Rekluistic Ride.

Another fantastic ride with the Rekluse. This was not particular hard, but with a lot of varied terrain. The few downhills were about 20-30% grade, albeit it did not look so. Listen to the rpm's, and the clutch's behavior.
">

Enjoy.

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 09:03 PM
Old 06-02-2014, 10:49 AM   #29
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Phone lines are open.....Oderes now taken.

So the day finally arrived. Rekluse are now taking orders, as a few members have reported. Orders are being taken. More info coming shortly.

Erling
Old 06-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #30
Hamish71
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
So the day finally arrived. Rekluse are now taking orders, as a few members have reported. Orders are being taken. More info coming shortly.

Im still waiting for that left testicle....