Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #46
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
I can do this. I can do this. I can do this.
Told ya... Nottin to it.

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #47
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,816
Paid for it yesterday and hope it gets here before the weekend.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:25 AM   #48
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Mine is installed as I posted on another thread!
Broke the Gasket! Luckily I purchased a spare just in case!!
Had some trouble adjusting free play as I didn't realise how much pre load you need in the clutch. Hope to test ride and break in I the weekend
Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #49
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZZY-GS View Post
Mine is installed as I posted on another thread!
Broke the Gasket! Luckily I purchased a spare just in case!!
Had some trouble adjusting free play as I didn't realise how much pre load you need in the clutch. Hope to test ride and break in I the weekend
Nice....
Yeppers, It can be a surprise to many, how much you need to tighten the cable, I run about 3-5mm free play gain at the tip. It is ok to have a little drag at idle, as long as you can put it in first gear with just a slight hop, and the rpm might drop about 100. Did you install the medium, or soft engagement springs...???

Erling
Old 07-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #50
Bigmc
work in progress

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Nice....
Yeppers, It can be a surprise to many, how much you need to tighten the cable, I run about 3-5mm free play gain at the tip. It is ok to have a little drag at idle, as long as you can put it in first gear with just a slight hop, and the rpm might drop about 100. Did you install the medium, or soft engagement springs...???
When I installed, i have just enough thread to get the locknut on. Regarding the drag, Erling, have you noticed that after a little use, it tends to drag a little more at idle? Is that just cable stretch? I still have the correct freeplay gain so I'm not inclined to do anything about it.

On the spring weights, I'm using the stock setup and getting engagement at 1800. I know you weren't a proponent of earlier engagement but the PSSOR boys were. Curious to know what others are seeing.
Bigmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:40 PM   #51
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmc View Post
When I installed, i have just enough thread to get the locknut on. Regarding the drag, Erling, have you noticed that after a little use, it tends to drag a little more at idle? Is that just cable stretch? I still have the correct freeplay gain so I'm not inclined to do anything about it.

On the spring weights, I'm using the stock setup and getting engagement at 1800. I know you weren't a proponent of earlier engagement but the PSSOR boys were. Curious to know what others are seeing.
Is there more thread above the cable boss or below? There should be roughly an equal amount of thread showing above and below the boss.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:44 PM   #52
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmc View Post

I have both nuts on the top of the clutch cable perch. None on the bottom. I use medium tension, and get engagement at 1650 rpm. Usually you should see a little more drag at idle until the engine reaches full operating temp, then you should have a little less drag.

Erling
Old 07-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #53
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Nice....

mmm i presumed they were optional extras for fine tuning?????
Are you saying they are not already installed in the EXP? No engagement springs i mean!
I have not finished with adjusting as yet, may need to pull down again by the sound of it!
I must of missed something in the instructions???
Old 07-17-2014, 06:55 PM   #54
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Are you saying they are not already installed in the EXP? No engagement springs i mean!
I have not finished with adjusting as yet, may need to pull down again by the sound of it!
They come with a medium engagement, with the option for either soft, or firm/early. My preference is the early engagement, all red springs in the EXP pack.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #55
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
They have, or should have 6 red, and 6 green springs with the kit. I dont know how they ship. I guess, I am the lone dude preferring the medium engagement. You achieve that by alternating red, and yellow springs ( 3 red, and 3 green in alternating sequence). Identify what you have in there. If you have the soft, with early engagement, you will see the engagement rise about 1-150 rpm, but be more precisely metered. You can only determine what you like after you try it. Either is ok. Just personal preference.

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 07-17-2014 at 08:44 PM
Old 07-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #56
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm sure that it came with 3 green and 3 red spare springs. I will check tonight to make sure. Don't know what is fitted, should have checked. I may just adjust with what is in there and have a ride. If I like it leave it !
Old 07-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #57
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,650
It comes set up for medium engagement.

It took about 20mins to strip and fit new clutch. A bit of stuffing around to get correct play on lever.

Engages about 1600 rpm accelerating, seems to start disengaging at about 2000 when slowing down.

Very strange feeling at first. Flawless clutch engagement from standing starts.

I was idling around out the front at far lower speeds than I'd have thought possible, one handed. Which was all good until I went to full right lock in the gravel and the throttle cable hooked on the steering damper post and blipped the throttle. Then shit nearly got real.

This is a game changer for the bike I think.

I have the cable adjusted so that the lock nut only just fits on, and I'll probably have to swap both nuts to the top side as I have a little too much lever movement after playing around for 45 mins or so.

No big issue. I have a new clutch cable somewhere in the back of my garage. I will fit it up later and see how it goes.

So far, very impressed. I did break my elastic band and shoot myself in the face with it. So...you know....not entirely without risk.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:46 PM   #58
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm sure that it came with 3 green and 3 red spare springs. I will check tonight to make sure. Don't know what is fitted, should have checked. I may just adjust with what is in there and have a ride. If I like it leave it !
If you have 3 green, and 3 red leftover, the rest installed, then you have medium tension. You go all red, for soft, and all green for hard, and a mix of the two for medium

Erling
Old 07-17-2014, 08:50 PM   #59
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

So for clarification.
The clutch is shipped with 6 red, and 6 green springs. If you have the clutch packed from the factory, and have 3 green, and 3 red springs, it is then setup with medium tension. The EXP have 3 green and 3 red installed. If you want to go soft, you then open up the exp, and replace the 3 green with 3 red, for an all red install which equals soft tension. With that you will have about 1-150 rpm earlier, but softer engagement. I call it mushier, more like a scooter CVT.
Either is fine, and totally up to each rider.

Erling
Old 07-17-2014, 08:51 PM   #60
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
It comes set up for medium engagement.

It took about 20mins to strip and fit new clutch. A bit of stuffing around to get correct play on lever.

Engages about 1600 rpm accelerating, seems to start disengaging at about 2000 when slowing down.

Very strange feeling at first. Flawless clutch engagement from standing starts.

I was idling around out the front at far lower speeds than I'd have thought possible, one handed. Which was all good until I went to full right lock in the gravel and the throttle cable hooked on the steering damper post and blipped the throttle. Then shit nearly got real.

This is a game changer for the bike I think.

I have the cable adjusted so that the lock nut only just fits on, and I'll probably have to swap both nuts to the top side as I have a little too much lever movement after playing around for 45 mins or so.

No big issue. I have a new clutch cable somewhere in the back of my garage. I will fit it up later and see how it goes.

So far, very impressed. I did break my elastic band and shoot myself in the face with it. So...you know....not entirely without risk.
It warms my heart to see a post from you with so much love..... I knew ya had it in ya.....

Cheers.

Erling