Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #76
BMW_BIKER_KEITH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
Thanks Earling... Im still head scratchin a little as to how the bike will react in down-hill descent. Seems "engine braking" is a different feeling and situation with the 'Kluse...

If the bike is going to "roll like a ball" down hill, I'm concerned. Blipping the throttle while down hill in order to enguage the drivetrain sounds counter-intuitive.... But what the hell do I know!
Old 07-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #77
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_BIKER_KEITH View Post
Thanks Earling... Im still head scratchin a little as to how the bike will react in down-hill descent. Seems "engine braking" is a different feeling and situation with the 'Kluse...

If the bike is going to "roll like a ball" down hill, I'm concerned. Blipping the throttle while down hill in order to enguage the drivetrain sounds counter-intuitive.... But what the hell do I know!
It is a valid concern, but one that you will find moot, in all practicality. I was in the same boat, as they asked me to beta for them, I do these steep descents. After trying it a few times, I was convinced that in all practicality, you will not disengage the EXP. How far from El Paso are ya...????

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #78
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 632
Just for clarification, the red springs are a softer spring, which creates an earlier engagement. As to downhill free wheeling? I have never had it with the GS running the red springs, I have tried to induce it as sometimes rolling down gravel roads it would be nice. Clutch in, idle, ease clutch out, and the clutch will still engage. My EXC OTOH? Easy to do and nice when I want it.

Wait till y'all use it on the trail
Old 07-18-2014, 07:37 PM   #79
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,460
Laugh

Luna Park!! cool area!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Old 07-18-2014, 07:42 PM   #80
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
Luna Park!! cool area!
Did ya go through there, last time....??? It is a great close by area for us. Continue up a bit further to Spring time Camp ground.... Anything to get out of the heat.

Erling
Old 07-18-2014, 07:56 PM   #81
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,460
Laugh

Yes Erling...been through there many times... Even slept in the shallow cave in Luna, hiked Spring time and climbed the huge boulders. Also of course Montecello Canyon! This entire area is my kids favorite area of the Southwest. We go every year (with the kids) and I ride it every year with my Adventure Rider buds.
Airport stop...

Quote:
Did ya go through there, last time....??? It is a great close by area for us. Continue up a bit further to Spring time Camp ground.... Anything to get out of the heat.

HighTechCoonass screwed with this post 07-18-2014 at 08:03 PM
HighTechCoonass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #82
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass View Post
Yes Erling...been through there many times... Even slept in the shallow cave in Luna, hiked Spring time and climbed the huge boulders. Also of course Montecello Canyon! This entire area is my kids favorite area of the Southwest. We go every year (with the kids) and I ride it every year with my Adventure Rider buds.
Airport stop...
Ha ha ha... TCS airport. I knew you had ridden the box, but did not know that you rode up through Luna to Spring time. Next time you are in the area.... please let me know. I will ride up and meet. Can show ya a few more secret trails....

Erling
Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 AM   #83
Olvi
Ice Butt

Oddometer: 98
Just installing the toy. I noticed that there are green dots at the friction plates but installation manual doesn't say a word for they meaning. Do they indicate the installation direction somehow i.e. facing away or towards you? Also installation manual indicates some "part numbers" like friction disk #63 but can't find the numbers at the disk or anywhere else. If there is no meaning for these markups, they should be left out - they are confusing.

By the way: OEM steel disks must be installed sharp edge towards the engine (towards the bottom of the clutch basket) - at least according to BMW repair manual.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:24 AM   #84
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olvi View Post
Just installing the toy. I noticed that there are green dots at the friction plates but installation manual doesn't say a word for they meaning. Do they indicate the installation direction somehow i.e. facing away or towards you? Also installation manual indicates some "part numbers" like friction disk #63 but can't find the numbers at the disk or anywhere else. If there is no meaning for these markups, they should be left out - they are confusing.

By the way: OEM steel disks must be installed sharp edge towards the engine (towards the bottom of the clutch basket) - at least according to BMW repair manual.
I have not seen any dots on the thin friction discs before. I will ask. On both the discs, and drive plates, it does not matter which way is in or out. If you want to follow BMW install regarding the sharp edges, then that is fine too. I see no reason to have then in or out. I think the dots are tooling marks, but I will ask.

Erling
Old 07-30-2014, 11:41 PM   #85
Rags13
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
I have both nuts on the top of the clutch cable perch. None on the bottom. I use medium tension, and get engagement at 1650 rpm. Usually you should see a little more drag at idle until the engine reaches full operating temp, then you should have a little less drag.
Rekluse needs to put that in the manual for the F800! I installed it today but thought I screwed something up because I had to take up so much cable play.
Rags13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 02:01 AM   #86
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I agree !
Old 07-31-2014, 06:11 AM   #87
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags13 View Post
Rekluse needs to put that in the manual for the F800! I installed it today but thought I screwed something up because I had to take up so much cable play.
I have suggested that they do for a while, along with a correction to their official install video, as it wrongly tells you to torque the clutch cover in a " star pattern " which is very incorrect,and can result in cover varpage. I guess they have not changed it. Sorry not much more I can do.

Erling
Old 08-01-2014, 05:48 AM   #88
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
star pattern?

I went around the cover clockwise from the shifter. Nip them first go, slight tension second go, rattle gun on the third.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #89
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
star pattern?

I went around the cover clockwise from the shifter. Nip them first go, slight tension second go, rattle gun on the third.
A star pattern is referred to like the way, or sequence you torque the wheel lugs on your car.
BMW has a specific pattern to torque this cover, and I asked that Rekluse put that in, but they did not. Not yet at least.
I use a photo from a fellow inmate here. I believe it is from lost riders clutch thread. I do believe, I pictured it in my video....so ya can pause the video. If you don't use this pattern, Joel Weissman once said that cover could either warp, or/and you can starve the oil to the cylinders through the little hole in the front, so it is important.
I think torque is 12 NM....so easy with the rattle gun, my dear infantryman....

Erling
Old 08-01-2014, 05:55 PM   #90
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,616
But no bolt I ever put in with the rattle gun has come loose on me. It's actually a standard screw gun, not a full size rattle gun.

You'd seriously have to go nuts to warp the cover. Given the close tolerances, the fit, and the very thin gasket, a gradual torquing working around the cover wont kill it.

I used to use all the fancy torque wrenches when I worked commissioning wind turbines, but now I use my torque sensing wrist.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote