little foot
Scratch and Sniff

Oddometer: 5,178
grasshopper deflector not installed.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:16 AM   #17
Cap0ne
Lex Talionis

Oddometer: 149
The normal, non ADV GS, has the second option (the one without the bars).
So the good news is that the normal GS owners can order and install the adv grill mask if they like it
It would look something like this

And for that Adv, i think it was a mistake from the factory when it was delivered with the non Adv mask.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #18
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Yes, I too noticed today the two variations today - both with LED headlights...thought they were both ADV, but likely CapOne is on to something. I was checking - because I just installed LED aux light in the opening on my Halogen GSW and was at the dealer to get their opinions.
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:38 AM   #19
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
Yes, I too noticed today the two variations today - both with LED headlights...thought they were both ADV, but likely CapOne is on to something. I was checking - because I just installed LED aux light in the opening on my Halogen GSW and was at the dealer to get their opinions.
Which lights did you put there, and how was the install, and how do you like them? I own a GSW with that opening, so am interested.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:20 PM   #20
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,073
The throttle side handguard looks different too, unless it is just the angle of the bars ?
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #21
JoeyHonz OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Yes it was just the angle..... But good eye,
Old 04-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #22
mefly2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Which lights did you put there, and how was the install, and how do you like them? I own a GSW with that opening, so am interested.
I used the Rigid SR-Q with 4 LEDs @ 20 watts / 1568 lumens. I believe that Rigid also makes a 2 or 3 LED which will fit right in there. I opted for the 4 LED to provide more light. However, it requires some cutting and massaging of an under $30 part that spans the opening ... it may actually be some sort of an air dam - not sure but the LED headlights don't appear to have it.

I should have power to it this weekend. Originally I made a "U" bracket that spanned across from one headlight mounting bolt to the other. But, it was just too much hanging on the bolts when I added a TT headlight protector. So I have fabricated a bracket which connects to the cross piece of the TT upper crash bars ... duh, I don't know why it took me so long to come up with that. looking back, it seems such an obvious way to mount the center light,
Touratech: Upper Crash Bars, big foot, pannier rack, ZegaPro panniers;
Fuzeblock, Rigid Dually D2 + yellow covers; Wunderlich bar risers w/ Q-adjust
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:34 AM   #23
Big Derek
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Having now rode my new GSA Water Bus for 1,400mile sI have to say i am bonding with Olive now... The best extra i have on her is the Akra and the fast gear shift:-)

Some riders don't get the gear shift but when you have ha done it was the best £400 i had spent on Olive

see someones truth here...

The Pro Shift Assist was first available as a factory option on the 2014 R1200RT and R1200GS's built after August, 2013 (starting VIN: Z184816). If your bike didn't come with it, you can now retrofit this system.
(NOTE: It will not fit the 2013 R1200GSW.)
Features:
•Permits upshifts and downshifts without using clutch or closing the throttle.

IMPORTANT!
This system must be installed and enabled exclusively by an authorized BMW Motorrad dealer.
Also Required:
Enable code, sold separately, not available online. (BMW part number 13 61 8 545 879)

Details:

A first in production motorcycles, Gear Shift Assistant Pro provides shifts that are both convenient and dynamic. While originally developed for competition, the Gear Shift Assistant Pro now features greater functionality to adapt it to touring use. In virtually all engine speed ranges and under almost any load, it allows upshifts and downshifts without any need for the rider to operate the clutch or change throttle position.
Advantages:
•70-80% of all shifts based on riding condition can be executed without using the clutch.
•Gear changes are still performed as normal by the foot lever. The Gear Shift Assistant Pro only assists the actual gear change operation. The rider remains responsible for actually shifting the gears. This is not an automatic or semi-automatic transmission.
Notes:
•No assist for gearshifts is provided under the following conditions:◦ Shifting with the clutch disengaged
◦Upshifts with the throttle closed (coasting) or when decelerating
◦The shift lever is not in its neutral position before starting a shift
◦The system supports downshifts with an open throttle, but the shift quality is influenced by sudden or jerky throttle-on and throttle-off changes in lower gears
◦Shifts performed without disengaging the clutch in low gears at high engine RPM’s may be accompanied by substantial torque reaction during power transitions. BMW Motorrad recommends that the clutch is used to perform shifts under these operating conditions. Riders should avoid using the Gear Shift Assistant Pro at engine RPM’s approaching the engine’s rev limit.

•To ensure safety, cruise control is automatically deactivated during gear changes with the Gear Shift Assistant Pro.
Big Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:49 AM   #24
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
I used the Rigid SR-Q with 4 LEDs @ 20 watts / 1568 lumens. I believe that Rigid also makes a 2 or 3 LED which will fit right in there. I opted for the 4 LED to provide more light. However, it requires some cutting and massaging of an under $30 part that spans the opening ... it may actually be some sort of an air dam - not sure but the LED headlights don't appear to have it.

I should have power to it this weekend. Originally I made a "U" bracket that spanned across from one headlight mounting bolt to the other. But, it was just too much hanging on the bolts when I added a TT headlight protector. So I have fabricated a bracket which connects to the cross piece of the TT upper crash bars ... duh, I don't know why it took me so long to come up with that. looking back, it seems such an obvious way to mount the center light,
Very interesting. Thanks for the info. I hope you post some pics when you're all done.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:53 AM   #25
Draadwerk
New guy

Oddometer: 9
This might be a silly question, but how does one determine if a GSW is fitted with the fast shifter or not?

Also, how do you know which range of bikes came with it factory fitted?
Draadwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:41 AM   #26
bonox
Tryin Hard

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draadwerk View Post
This might be a silly question, but how does one determine if a GSW is fitted with the fast shifter or not?
there's a big bill/receipt to go with it?

Not sure how this relates to the headlamp grill though.