Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
n1tr0 OP
Dual Sport rider

Oddometer: 112
Advice on modding the heated grips - 2014 R1200GSW

Hi All,
Got a new 2014 GSW on order and expecting it to arrive in a few weeks. Dealer wouldn't let me order everything a-la-carte, so I've got it coming with the standard package and the included heated grips. I like the idea of heated grips since I ride all year round, but the stock grips really suck. Has anyone peeled theirs apart and installed other grips over the heating element ? Would love to see some pictures before I start to muck up the most expensive bike I've ever bought.
Thanks.

Also curious about the handlebars. I've got an extra (new) Pro-Taper high-rise fat-bar that I never got around to installing on my last dirt-bike. Is there anything special about the stock BMW bar that would prevent me from installing it ?
n1tr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
OzOldrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1tr0 View Post
Hi All,
Got a new 2014 GSW on order and expecting it to arrive in a few weeks. Dealer wouldn't let me order everything a-la-carte, so I've got it coming with the standard package and the included heated grips. I like the idea of heated grips since I ride all year round, but the stock grips really suck. Has anyone peeled theirs apart and installed other grips over the heating element ? Would love to see some pictures before I start to muck up the most expensive bike I've ever bought.
Thanks.

Also curious about the handlebars. I've got an extra (new) Pro-Taper high-rise fat-bar that I never got around to installing on my last dirt-bike. Is there anything special about the stock BMW bar that would prevent me from installing it ?
Try a set of Grip Puppies, just slip the old grips.

2013 GS1200LC R1200RT for sale
KLR650 gone WR250 gone, plus many more gone.
OzOldrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:54 AM   #3
avalher
Life is Good.

Oddometer: 101
Did the heated grip configuration change from 2013 GSW? On my '13 GSW the grips get HOT.

Enviado desde mi MB886 mediante Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #4
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by n1tr0 View Post
.... I like the idea of heated grips since I ride all year round, but the stock grips really suck. Has anyone peeled theirs apart and installed other grips over the heating element ?....
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalher View Post
Did the heated grip configuration change from 2013 GSW? On my '13 GSW the grips get HOT.

I believe n1tr0 is referring to the rubber grips themselves, not the heating aspect. But I agree mine get plenty hot too.

The easiest and safest mod would do what sullholb suggested; slip the thin foam grip covers over the grips, Grab-on makes them. I used them on my last GS, just used hair spray and slid them right over. Makes the grips softer and slightly larger.
I can't say that the new bikes are the same but I wouldn't know why not? Some years ago, on a BMW R1100RS, I very carefully cut the worn out rubber grips off. I used a razor to cut almost through the rubber then pulled it apart the rest of way. Attached to the bars underneath was the element film with fine wires embedded.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #5
avalher
Life is Good.

Oddometer: 101
[QUOTE=milo;23885096]I believe n1tr0 is referring to the rubber grips themselves, not the heating aspect. But I agree mine get plenty hot too.

Yes!
Old 04-08-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
CharlieFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Do the grip puppies diminish the effectiveness of the heated grips at warming your hands?
CharlieFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
asphaltsurfer1
CatManDoo

Oddometer: 123
I picked up the idea renting a bike in Hawaii of all places- bicycle grip wrap around existing grips. It's easy to replace and transfers heat protecting original grips from damage
asphaltsurfer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:28 AM   #8
Lensgrinder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieFox View Post
Do the grip puppies diminish the effectiveness of the heated grips at warming your hands?
No, They may take a little longer to get to temp but once they do they are great.

I like the heat they give off,
it seems more equalized throughout the grip(not so many hot spots).
Lensgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #9
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325
If you think the stock grips are hot, you've probably never had good heated grips before. BMW apparently decided that GSw/GSAw owners no longer ride when its below 40 degrees F. I'm surprised they didn't put pure water in the radiators to discourage us from ever taking the bikes out when its near freezing. Count me among the hugely disappointed, I expected more on such an expensive moto.

And before anyone asks, yes, I've read the speculation about the software leaving the grips in 1/2 power mode if they're already on when you start the bike. I've tried turning them on later instead, didn't make any difference, high power is still inadequate for <40F temps.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
milo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodtja View Post
...BMW apparently decided that GSw/GSAw owners no longer ride when its below 40 degrees F. Count me among the hugely disappointed, I expected more on such an expensive moto.
I've read other posts saying the same thing. I'll just say the grips work fine on my bike. They get plenty warm (almost hot) and I click them on then again to run the single setting, I've not left them on full.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 862
I used to wrap my GS grips using tennis racquet grip tape....works great...adds a bit of non-slip cushion, extra girth, and you can still feel the heat. They are also cheap & easy to replace and come in many colors.

GSDonovan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:38 AM   #12
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,140
Hear, hear!

Hear, hear!! HOT is a relative term; compared w/my previous two rides the '13 GSW grips do not get HOT. WARM, yes. But as inmate atwoodtja says, below 40 F they are insufficient.

Concerning the grips themselves, I would like to change to Pro Grip 714s, but since the heating elements are apparently in the grips themselves (contrary to my dealership SM's statement, and pretty dumb IMHO) the grips cannot be swapped out.

I've thought of junking the whole setup and wiring in a set of Dual-Star "plastic wrap" elements (hopefully nearly equal resistivity) but not for a while. Or maybe keep the Dual-Star heating controls.

--Doc

PS. They feel much hotter when wearing lightweight gloves. With "winter" gloves, they don't feel that warm. Maybe that's your guys' mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwoodtja View Post
If you think the stock grips are hot, you've probably never had good heated grips before. BMW apparently decided that GSw/GSAw owners no longer ride when its below 40 degrees F. I'm surprised they didn't put pure water in the radiators to discourage us from ever taking the bikes out when its near freezing. Count me among the hugely disappointed, I expected more on such an expensive moto.

And before anyone asks, yes, I've read the speculation about the software leaving the grips in 1/2 power mode if they're already on when you start the bike. I've tried turning them on later instead, didn't make any difference, high power is still inadequate for <40F temps.
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #13
RichBMW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,845
Mine are warm enough (not hot). On my other bike, during the winter, I used heated gloves, and they were hotter than any heated grips I've ever used.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #14
Smoke Eater 3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
My grips are plenty hot. I ride all winter in Maine and pretty much leave them on low. Leave your skirt at home and just ride. The whining on this forum about this kind of stuff is embarrassing. Perhaps a BMW car would be better for some of the people here. I had a 2002 tii back in the day that I wish I had never sold.

BTW A little hockey tape on your grips works well too.
Smoke Eater 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,628
I have done the grips of a couple of the newer 1200's they use a heating element pad under the grips.

It is very easy to damage said pad or the wiring on the throttle side if you get ham fisted removing the grips themselves.

In both cases the grips are molded into the tubes the heater element is fused to so removal is a chore.

If you take your time and have help, couple good razor blades and steady hand it can be done.

You will need TWO sets of grips for your replacement as your going to have to install the throttle side grips from each set onto the bars over the heating elements.

Grip puppies are easier if you dont want to go through the hassle and if you screw it up the replacement cost for new ones is steep.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote