User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #1
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Can the R100S be made to fit 6'3" tall rider

I am bitten by the classic airhead bug and "project S" is putting met over the top.
So in pondering this potential project I am wondering how difficult it is to make one of these bikes fit s tall guy.
My r1150gs seemed small and cramped seat to peg wise when I bought it but after a taller seat, lowering the pegs 1.5" and adding bar risers it now fits great.

Can similar adjustments be done on the r100 bikes with good results?

Any tall guys put there riding the r100s or a copy of one ?

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

Inniswhe screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 08:07 AM Reason: Damn swype
Inniswhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,014
Raise the seat, lower the pegs, install bar risers. Work out in the gym in your shoulders and especially your abs and take up yoga. The bike will fit you fine.

Or do none of the above and take much shorter rides. Or just suffer while you look like a spider humping a paperclip.

Same problem I have fitting my 6' 6" self on a /6 with euro bars and stock seat/pegs.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 322
I am reporting from limited experience but I just finished doing one of these builds myself. I am 6' 2" or a little less. I am very comfortable on my R1200GSA. The R100S type is a very different experience. The bars you use will make a big difference too. I am using what Flanders calls sidecar bars. They are a little flatter than some and have less pullback and are slightly wider than the other options. Go to the end of this thread and see pictures of them
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879502

There is considerably more forward lean angle than any bikes I have ridden in a while. This puts extra weight on your wrists, arms, and upper body. Once over about 60mph it seems hardly noticeable. With the bars I am using your hands are in almost direct line with the fork tubes and I am tending to turn in a little early. This is how motorcycles felt when I first started riding 50 years ago. I am loving it so far. I don.t know how well I would like the setup for a long trip but I didn't build it for that purpose anyway (my son will have to deal with that). I had high expectations for the change from an 80RT to a 100S and so far the bike is better than I expected. Even without a power increase, just the handling, braking, and riding experience would have made it worthwhile for me.

You riding preferences and physical limitations if any will really determine if this is the right move for you.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Nice bike chuck, that's a really nice job. I am only an inch or so taller than you so I can probably make it work.
This will be a saturday afternoon 2 hr ride bike so I doubt I need it all day comfortable.
Did you adjust the pegs or seat any from stock?

Old 05-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #5
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,285
I am an real close to 6'6". The way I look at it, making a bike fit me would ruin it so I fit the bike. Raising the seat and especially lowering the foot pegs in order to fit a freak severely limits the bike's potential. Airheads are already made for tall people. Ask anyone who is short.

supershaft screwed with this post 05-04-2013 at 11:51 AM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #6
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am surprised that minor peg and seat adjustments would really have that negative an effect. I know peg lowering can be a real problem depending on the starting height but in my experience gaining 2"in seat to peg distance can transform a bike designed for a shorter man.
Each to his own I guess.
It sounds like there are options anyway

Old 05-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniswhe View Post
I am surprised that minor peg and seat adjustments would really have that negative an effect. I know peg lowering can be a real problem depending on the starting height but in my experience gaining 2"in seat to peg distance can transform a bike designed for a shorter man.
Each to his own I guess.
It sounds like there are options anyway

Minor adjustments? Who is asking about minor adjustments? I thought everyone did that? I certainly do! Higher bars is one thing IMO but 1.5" lower pegs? That isn't a minor adjustment in my book.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #8
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 322
I don't think you will have any issues with the seat to footpeg length or angle. I have the stock footpegs adjusted as low as they will go (actually the only location that made sense to me) and my legs are not cramped or uncomfortable. It is still exactly the same relationship any RT or RS or other cowl seat equiped Airhead ever had. That doesn;t change. It all depends on what you do with the handlebars, and to a lesser extent, the fairing.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
Moonshiner
aka "B-dog"

Oddometer: 183
To the OP, have you sat on a R100S yet so you know what issue you may have? I'm 6'2", with a 34/35 inseam, and I had an "S" for several years. It was an S converted to an RS, but the pegs were standard position for an S, and the bars were more standard style bars with risers on them. Frankly, it felt very "conventional" and comfortable for me. I also own an R100RS, and the ergos are a bit different, but probably even more comfy.

If an R100S doesn't fit you, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't take much.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 751
6'2" (36" inseam) I found the R100S to be fine for touring with the stock "S" bars, seat and peg location. Easily one of my favourite bikes!
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:24 PM   #11
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
I am bitten by the classic airhead bug and "project S" is putting met over the top.
So in pondering this potential project I am wondering how difficult it is to make one of these bikes fit s tall guy.
My r1150gs seemed small and cramped seat to peg wise when I bought it but after a taller seat, lowering the pegs 1.5" and adding bar risers it now fits great.

Can similar adjustments be done on the r100 bikes with good results?

Any tall guys put there riding the r100s or a copy of one ?

Airhawk seat cushio= 2" seat rise, add bar risers (not barbacks, go strait up)...and thin soled boots. You can't do a lot with the pegs, they hit the pipes. If you shave the rubber on the underside (or let it burn away) you can get a notch. Some sort of hiway pegs are nice for long days. I just stick my legs out for a stretch. Prolly break one someday playing that. I also use my passenger pegs and hang my legs by the heel for a change. Strait cut heels help, any shoemaker can do it for you.
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #12
Inniswhe OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks to everyone for their input. I have not yet tried sitting on an r100 series yet as they are rather rare where I live.
I assumed they would feel cramped based on my experience with my r1150gs as stock but by the sounds of the replies it may not be an issue.

Does anyone know what the peg to stock seat height dimension is, I have not been able to find that dimension anywhere.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #13
Plaka
Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for their input. I have not yet tried sitting on an r100 series yet as they are rather rare where I live.
I assumed they would feel cramped based on my experience with my r1150gs as stock but by the sounds of the replies it may not be an issue.

Does anyone know what the peg to stock seat height dimension is, I have not been able to find that dimension anywhere.

The pegs are adjustable.

Sent from my GT-I2400S using Tapatalk 6
Plaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #14
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 671
PROJECT-S Fit

As the PROJECT-S builder/owner I can say with confidence the R100S fits a 6'2" rider (me) like a glove.

I have about 1,000 miles of riding on my R100S to date and find the fitting perfect for me.

PROJECT-S has the standard R90S bars (Flanders C20 / Magura style 478-46300). Initially I was concerned that they would be too short, but after riding her 300 miles one day the bars were not an issue.

Seat to peg location is ideal for me with a 32" leg inseam.

TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
shaner1100gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Check this web site out. http://cycle-ergo.com/
shaner1100gs is online now   Reply With Quote