User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
OFOAM OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
24K service

24K service is coming up on my '09 GS. I thought I'd attempt to lube the front shaft splines. I know it's going to be a PITA getting it off. But putting it back may be worse. So some questions.
1) Is the job worth the reward? Since the front spline is clipped it apparently doesn't move like the rear. Am I preventing a possible future problem or just using up Moly lube?
2) If I do pull the shaft (the one on the bike, of course) what problems do I run into on the reinstall?
Also, I want to check the pivot bearing and add some grease. Is there Locktite on the threads requiring heat? Which side does the heat do the most good?

I know there's info on the site but search just gives me a blank screen. Don't know if it's the search function or something with Mozilla. Thus the need to cover what is probably old ground. And yes I have the JVB 24k service DVD. But my wife is using her laptop and my PC doesn't have DVD player so I can't check the DVD for info. Besides, someone may have some experience that I'll find usefull.
Mick
OFOAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,680
Hi Nick,

Since that is not a regular service it is not on the DVD. I do cover it on the Repair II DVD though.

IMHO I wouldn't do it until the 36K. That shaft doesn't move much, as you know, so the risk is low.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:29 PM   #3
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,913
I removed the DS on my '05 at 60K. Getting it off was easy. Getting it back on took a little trial and error. Once I stopped trying to see what I was doing and did the procedure by feel it went pretty quick.

Lube was not the purpose. My splines, both male and female, were just fine as I expected. I wanted to check the U-joint. It was fine, too. I did clean the splines and add some Honda Moly 60 just because.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Lime
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I had to replace the front of the drive shaft oil seal at 38,548 miles. It was about 1/2 day of work for me but not much of a problem to do it. The splines were in great shape so like above I wouldn't mess with it now, but if you do, I'd replace the seal while I had it apart.
Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
OFOAM OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Oil Seal?

Lime, not sure what you mean by the "front of the drive shaft oil seal". What are we talking about here?
Mick
OFOAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFOAM View Post
Lime, not sure what you mean by the "front of the drive shaft oil seal". What are we talking about here?
Mick
Trans output seal.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote