ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2014, 09:00 AM   #31
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,592
Define "driver."

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #32
causef0rconcern
Rift Explorer

Oddometer: 219
Is Portland like Seattle, where the drivers are dangerously passive?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:18 AM   #33
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by causef0rconcern View Post
Is Portland like Seattle, where the drivers are dangerously passive?
The drivers are competent, but often the person holding the wheel is just another passenger.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 04-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #34
Jazz62 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by causef0rconcern View Post
dangerously passive?
This ^ but to be this passive you can't also be so oblivious, right? So is it like an intentional disconnect (equals maliciousness, not passivity) from your surroundings? Must be absolutely hellish to be on a bike and have to try to make this work and stay alive.
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:23 AM   #35
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz62 View Post
A little help...

The drivers?
The drivers?

More accomodating, more passive aggressive, and left lane parking that you will be used to.

Flash your brights or use your horn because someone is a moron or unsafe, and be prepared to taste the PC rage of a passive aggressive 40 year old with a neck tattoo in skinny jeans driving a Prius.

The left lane appears to be thought of as a through traffic lane, not the fast lane.

Drivers will randomly and without warning move from the left lane, across three lanes of traffic to take the exit at the exact moment they need to exit regardless of what's behind them.

But they will stay in the left lane going 5 under because they have to make a left turn in 5 miles.

Slam on the brakes at highway speeds to let someone merge onto the freeway at 45 mph? Yup.

How about when you do not slam on your brakes or accomodate them as they try to merge onto the highway at 45 mph? You are the asshole, even when the rest of the country understands the concept of merging.

First rain of the fall and you'd think it had snowed 6" as people drive 35 on the highways.

It's insane.

DireWolf screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 09:39 AM
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #36
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
Must be absolutely hellish to be on a bike and have to try to make this work and stay alive.
Nah, just assume everyone in trying to deliberately run over you, and ride accordingly.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 04-16-2014, 09:28 AM   #37
causef0rconcern
Rift Explorer

Oddometer: 219
So Seattle and Portland have some things in common...
Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #38
Jazz62 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
The drivers?

More accomodating, more passive aggressive, and left lane parking that you will be used to.

Flash your brights or use your horn because someone is a moron or unsafe, and be prepared to taste the PC rage of a passive aggressive 40 year old with a neck tattoo in skinny jeans driving a Prius.

The left lane appears to be thought of as a through traffic lane, not the fast lane.

Drivers will randomly and without warning move from the left lane, across three lanes of traffic to take the exit at the exact moment they need to exit regardless of what's behind them.

But they will stay in the left lane going 5 under because they have to make a left turn in 5 miles.

Slam on the brakes at highway speeds to let someone merge onto the freeway at 45 mph? Yup.

How about when you do not slam on your brakes or accomodate them as they try to merge onto the highway at 45 mph? You are the asshole, even when the rest of the country understands the concept of merging.

First rain of the fall and you'd think it had snowed 6" as people drive 35 on the highways
OMFG - you nailed it. I've only been here since 3pm yesterday and I've seen every one of your examples above. I'm a pretty fair-minded and non-judgmental person but it's to hard to avoid drawing the parallels about how this manifests itself into the overall vibe and culture of a city.

And as fate would have it, Mrs Jazz's interview with Portland Public Schools went very well, they loved her. They were even dumb enough to tell her that they really want/need more teachers of "color", she's of Pakistani decent but American as apple pie. Isn't it against the law to say that sort of thing?

Jazz62 screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 09:59 AM
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:13 AM   #39
EmptiMind
Stoopid Youngin'

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
OMFG - you nailed it. I've only been here since 3pm yesterday and I've seen every one of your examples above. I'm a pretty fair-minded and non-judgmental person but it's to hard to avoid drawing the parallels about how this manifests itself into the overall vibe and culture of a city.

And as fate would have it, Mrs Jazz's interview with Portland Public Schools went very well, they loved her. They were even dumb enough to tell her that they really want/need more teachers of "color", she's of Pakistani decent but American as apple pie. Isn't it against the law to say that sort of thing?
Not sure about legality, but I'm part Chinese, American as they get, but I still use and abuse my minority privilege.

Driving is something you get used to way quicker than you should. Only took me about a month to figure out the stupidity that is the Portland traffic. They really need an extra lane through downtown. The passive aggressive friendly nature of the drivers really is something else. People wave as they cut you off.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
Old 04-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #40
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,301
Quote:

Ignore/get used to the driving, and the rest of it is great.

You two will love it.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #41
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
...she's of Pakistani decent but American as apple pie.
If you get down Salem way, look up Dakar-Dave. He is of Pakistani decent, but as British as a crumpet.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 04-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #42
beemerron
machine washable

Oddometer: 2,549
http://www.oregonlive.com/education/...incart_m-rpt-1

After six years of anemic hiring, Oregon school districts will extend job offers to an estimated 2,000 teachers this year a turnaround that has energized those doing the hiring as well as those securing jobs.
"It's a lot of work, but this is a great year for us," said Keith Hathorne, a human resources manager helping Oregon's largest district, Portland Public Schools, hire nearly 400 teachers this spring

Good timing, for sure.
Hey, I'm working down here. - Ed Norton
beemerron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:01 PM   #43
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,209
I have a theory about Portland drivers: so many people move here from all over the country that the mash-up of different driving styles causes total chaos and anarchy. I bike commute and have come to stop signs and put down a foot only to get waived through the intersection as a driver is rolling through the stop. Fuck you, I'm not pulling out in front of your moving car.

I was born and raised in Portland and have lived all over the city. I'm neither cool enough or pretty enough to live anywhere on the west side. When I was settling on a place to buy, I decided biking to work was a priority so I checked everything out from a 5-mile radius of downtown (where my office is). Ended up in Sellwood within 100 years of the Springwater (which ends in Boring and not Sandy).

As others have said, the rental market is pretty tight but lots of apartments are being thrown up in inner NE around Williams and Alberta which is a pretty cool, pedestrian neighborhood (aside from the skinny jeans crowd).

As a native Portlander, I have a long-standing aversion to anything Gresham or Beaverton-related.

Someone asked about living in south Portland and commuting to Salem: if you like living in your car, knock yourself out. I-5 during rush hour either way can be a parking lot.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:11 PM   #44
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
I have a theory about Portland drivers: so many people move here from all over the country that the mash-up of different driving styles causes total chaos and anarchy.
Amen, I've saying that for years, after driving in Portland for the last 35+ years I've seen the change................over half the drivers here are NOT from
around these parts.

Quote:
I was born and raised in Portland and have lived all over the city. I'm neither cool enough or pretty enough to live anywhere on the west side. When I was settling on a place to buy,
As a native Portlander, I have a long-standing aversion to anything Gresham or Beaverton-related.
Same here, raised in the Woodstock area and lived in either Milwaukie or SE most my life until relocating in Oregon City. I like it here, small town feel and still close to the city.

Quote:
Someone asked about living in south Portland and commuting to Salem: if you like living in your car, knock yourself out. I-5 during rush hour either way can be a parking lot.
I don't normally commute to Salem from here but, I have for meetings and such, and from OC it's quite painless if you take 99E to Aurora to I-5. Now if one was stuck taking 205 to I-5, yeah that would suck.

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #45
Dewey316
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post
Amen, I've saying that for years, after driving in Portland for the last 35+ years I've seen the change................over half the drivers here are NOT from
around these parts.
Absolutely, our little city has changed a lot. The game is always to see how many out of state plates you see with an I-heart-Oregon sticker. They get that sticker on their prius long before they bother to register it in our state.
Dewey316 is offline   Reply With Quote