ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2014, 08:27 AM   #46
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,243
I can remember when driving around with california plates was a sure way of having your car vandalized.
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #47
Jazz62 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
On a positive note, last night had one of the best pizzas I've ever had outside of Italy or NY at Apizza Scholls
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #48
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz62 View Post
On a positive note, last night had one of the best pizzas I've ever had outside of Italy or NY at Apizza Scholls
They have a great attitude. Did you have an It's-It?
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:46 PM   #49
Jazz62 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
They have a great attitude. Did you have an It's-It?
Not sure what an It's-It is.

I was put off by all the "rules" on their website (no phone orders, 3 toppings max rule, only 2 can be meat and more etc.) True this place would get laughed out of business in Chicago or NYC for that matter. I think we got lucky as there was no wait for two seats at the bar and the simple margherita was really superb, from the ingredient quality and quantity to the crust.
Jazz62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #50
VEGASGSA
Banned

Oddometer: 6,643
Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
The drivers?

More accomodating, more passive aggressive, and left lane parking that you will be used to.

Flash your brights or use your horn because someone is a moron or unsafe, and be prepared to taste the PC rage of a passive aggressive 40 year old with a neck tattoo in skinny jeans driving a Prius.

The left lane appears to be thought of as a through traffic lane, not the fast lane.

Drivers will randomly and without warning move from the left lane, across three lanes of traffic to take the exit at the exact moment they need to exit regardless of what's behind them.

But they will stay in the left lane going 5 under because they have to make a left turn in 5 miles.

Slam on the brakes at highway speeds to let someone merge onto the freeway at 45 mph? Yup.

How about when you do not slam on your brakes or accomodate them as they try to merge onto the highway at 45 mph? You are the asshole, even when the rest of the country understands the concept of merging.

First rain of the fall and you'd think it had snowed 6" as people drive 35 on the highways.

It's insane.
This...and I'll add...you're enjoying your ride to the Palouse Valley, Seattle for dinner, the tulip fields...and you're bebooping up the interstate, in the left lane...driver in center lane sees you coming, pulls in front of you and brake checks you..because fuck you that's why. I've had this happen three times now, I guess they feel you may be going to fast... asshole move for sure.
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #51
VEGASGSA
Banned

My wife got transferred here two years ago. We came from Vegas...85+ on the interstate, dirt biking out the backdoor...3 months you hate life..

Before that, twenty years in Colorado, where you are two hours from everything..but great people, food, dirt biking..

Before that, Gulf coast of Florida..

We really like it here...any kind of food you want, as lkng as you want Thai or Pizza ...people are pretty decent, great motorcycle roads!!! Dirt biking sux ballz...after you buy the thirty permits you need, you drive an hour to ride, to a small trail system, then an hour back...I just sold my dirt bike.

If this is what you are used too..I'm sure it's great..in Colorado, our small trail system had in excess of 700 mkles of single and double track..there were three like that within three hours..two of them within' an hour..in Vegas..hundreds of miles..hundreds..it was a huge let down for me here.

The traffic is unbelievable...utterly unbelievable..it moves at one third the speed of smell..

The crime would appear to be worse than any place I've lived..I think we lead in Heroin deaths and sex trafficking...homeless crapping and pissing all over..their crap locked to bike racks all over town.

That being said..we enjoy it...but we run up to Seattle alot for the food scene..

If they forecast snow..they preemptively close stuff..schools close if there are flurries..it's funny..in Colorado, they chained up and didn't call it until there was 18" or so...
Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #52
Solarbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
I love Portland. I used to work in the East Side, 3rd and Couch (they pronounce it Kooch)!

Lived in Happy Valley, up on top.

Portland is an awesome place, diverse culture, freakin awesome local beers and the most titty bars I have ever seen.
Solarbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:35 AM   #53
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,402
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
Dirt biking sux ballz...after you buy the thirty permits you need, you drive an hour to ride, to a small trail system, then an hour back...I just sold my dirt bike.

If this is what you are used too..I'm sure it's great..in Colorado, our small trail system had in excess of 700 mkles of single and double track..there were three like that within three hours..two of them within' an hour..in Vegas..hundreds of miles..hundreds..it was a huge let down for me here.
While its not the open desert, there are certainly hundreds of miles of trails and off-road riding within 1-2 hours (in nearly every direction) of Portland. Maybe you just didn't ride with the right people? The place you described sounds more like the east coast than has been my experience here.
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:40 AM   #54
VEGASGSA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
While its not the open desert, there are certainly hundreds of miles of trails and off-road riding within 1-2 hours (in nearly every direction) of Portland. Maybe you just didn't ride with the right people? The place you described sounds more like the east coast than has been my experience here.
This is probably very true....and while I DS'd my two stroke..I'm replacing it with a 650 DS....which I think for me, will be more useful..

I rode Tillamook, Browns and Shingle Mill some..I just got way spoiled elsewhere...

Old 04-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #55
oremike
Motorcyclest

Oddometer: 2,349
Passive/ aggressive drivers, yep, the fuck you. My solution is to pass them in such a manor that they set down their foo-foo coffee drink but not so assertively that they pick up their cell phone and call in my bad behavior.

How about the lack of turn signal use? I figure they are just being nice and don't want to inconvenience the electrons or maybe they don't want to wear out the switch.

And my personal favorite, pull up to a stop sign or light and start to text until someone (me) honks and then flip them (me) off for being so rude.

Ride what makes you giggle in your helmet
oremike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:00 AM   #56
PDXLoki
Not Dirty. Yet.

Oddometer: 140
I just ordered a ticket for a showing of Apocalypse Now and it made me think of this thread. You mentioned your interest in jazz, so I made the rather unsubstantiated assumption you enjoy film and/or theater, as well. If you do, I don't think you have to worry that Portland is a step down from Chicago. Hell, maybe it is, I'm certainly not qualified to judge. But Portland does seem to have a vibrant theater scene and it certainly has its share of art-house movie theaters. Good comedy, as well, from what I have been told.

In case you haven't already found them, there are a couple local papers that cover arts. There might be more that I'm not aware of; if anybody knows of some, please post them.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/flex-213-arts-books.html

http://www.portlandmercury.com/

Oh, and what everybody said about the drivers here, yeah. Sadly, it's all true. They are courteously lethal.
PDXLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:23 PM   #57
Sloppy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
I'm surprised at all the Portland driver hate, I thought it was a really nice place to drive after living near the DC metro area for a while. Portland is by far the nicest 'big' city I've driven in and even rush hour was pretty mellow and only lasted maybe 5 miles.
Sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #58
VEGASGSA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
I'm surprised at all the Portland driver hate, I thought it was a really nice place to drive after living near the DC metro area for a while. Portland is by far the nicest 'big' city I've driven in and even rush hour was pretty mellow and only lasted maybe 5 miles.

I worked for a while at the 405/ Yeon blvd intersection..it's what, five miles to the bridge (I-5) to get home to Vancouver..if I drive it on a Sunday..or late night..it's a 10 minute trip..I COMMONLY spent two hours making this trip in rush hour..

It's a HELLUVA lot farther than five miles too...it's ALL THE WAY thru town..from well south of "the curves" to the Wa line..interestingly, once even the Oregon drivers get halfway over the bridge, they can suddenly accelerate to 40..maybe even 45 miles per hour..sure as hell can't on the Oregon side though..
Old 04-20-2014, 03:01 PM   #59
PDXLoki
Not Dirty. Yet.

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy View Post
Portland is by far the nicest 'big' city I've driven in...
You are right, the drivers her are very nice. Actually, that's putting it mildly. They're neighborly, courteous, even adorable.

But they are also absurdly incapable.

PDXLoki screwed with this post 04-20-2014 at 05:59 PM
PDXLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:56 PM   #60
VEGASGSA
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXLoki View Post
You are right, the drivers her are very nice. Actually, that's putting it mildly. They're neighborly, courteous, even adorable.

But they are also absurdly incapable.