User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
rpilottx OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Mongolia?

Am trying to gather some information on Mongolia. Is it possible for a gringo to buy a bike in country and tour? Prices? How much would shipping a bike from the US be?

What is rental rates in country? Points of contact?

Thanks, Rich
rpilottx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #2
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 649
Hi Rich,

You might find the answers you seek here. http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/northern-asia/

If not there will be someone there who knows them. I know somebody who did buy there and tour, but I think she had to register the bike in a local's name.

I was there last year and only small Chinese bikes and a few Russian bikes seemed to be available, a fascinating country with lots of wide, open spaces, I hope you like camping.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:33 AM   #3
Thirsty Horse
Adventurer & Writer

Oddometer: 10
Mongolia

Hi,

Mongolia offers very limited opportunities. You could buy an Izh planetta or a Chinese bike. Western/Japanese bikes are extremely thin on the ground but I have seen a few for sale. You'd then need to get it registered in your name - not impossible, but you could use some help.

Mongolian driving license is not essential, but I really lost my cool with the police when they tried to confiscate my jeep on the grounds that I could not drive it on an international license. (I lost my cool because the gov. had privatized the license printing and the company who printed them had suffered a mechanical failure with the printer. So at the time no one in Mongolia had been issued a license for the last 6 months, and I'd had my application in for the last 6 months. Cut to the chase - "I had to call my wife"! and eventually the whole thing got sorted out and I drove away happily.) I think this last part tells you a lot that you need to know.

Insurance is not a problem, nor is it expensive. Especially if you know where to go.

My advise is to contact the guys at "www.thirsty-horse.com" They are very friendly and will help you with everything you need, including all formalities and documentation. They will also hire you a bike if they have one available. But don't believe everything you read on their website, as there is some wishful thinking in their stock list - at least for now. Alternatively, you might want to organize something with them. They are very amenable to suggestions and they are real bikers.

They would be very happy to hear from you in any case.

Shipping a bike from the US is very, very expensive for the shipping. I.e. about US$1,500 by air, and not much less by sea, and then it could take 6 months to arrive. You could ship it to Hong Kong for less than half of that. If you import it you will have to pay 15.5% import tax on the cost of the bike + transport. Obviously resale prices also reflect this. So you might get lucky selling it there. The best thing to do is just to ride it in and don't register it. That's no problem legally, but you can't ride through China - because its not permitted without a Chinese DL, which requires residency, and if you go through Russia from the East - along the road of bones and past the Vladivostock mafia . . . Hmm, needs thought.

I hope this helps and good luck.
Thirsty Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #4
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,410
I am planning to be in Mongolia in August. I have been in touch with a company called Cheke Tours wich rents bikes like the Shineray Mustang for around 14 Euro/day.

You can buy a bike there. There are markets and also an "unofficial" KTM dealer in Ulaanbatar. I have heard that registering without an address can be a bear. I have also heard that you have 21 days to get it registered, so basically you have 3 weeks to play.

Read this thread as it has a lot of the info you seek.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818258

Please PM me if you have questions.

Jeff G.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,410
Well, I went and did it. I had an awesome time and learned a lot about myself and Mongolia. I've done a ride report and it can be found HERE:

Or here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=980181

Feel free to contact me if you have questions. I am happy to answer them.

Cheers,

Jeff G. aka Tahoe

To see the world, things dangerous to come to, to see behind walls, draw closer, to find each other, and to feel. That is the purpose of life.
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote