ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 09:59 AM   #16
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,940
Upon some reflection, it occurs to me that althugh the 665 is a nice unit, it has been around long enough that I suspect (pure supposition, no inside knowledge) that the 665 will soon be discontinued and at some point after that will become unsupported, which means no free or cheap refurb replacements if yours fails.

On the other hand, a new unit like the Zumo 590 will be supported for a good while longer. I very much like the tire pressure monitoring feature; if you don't have that on your bike already, IMHO it is worth your consideration. The screen is larger, too, which is nice. Of course, it doesn't get XM, so you would have to add a receiver for that, I suppose, or pair up with your phone for music if you didn't want to use internally stored song files?
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #17
DarkFlames OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Good input Emoto.

I don't like the cost of the 590, but I guess it is not that big a jump from the 665. I have to wonder why Garmin does not support their units for longer periods of time. I understand that technology evolves, but at the same time, one would expect to use a unit for a few years when paying north of $500.

Is Garmin only interested in our money?
DarkFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #18
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,940
Thanks, but don't get me wrong, I am not meaning to imply that there is anything wrong with a 665, they seem like a very nice unit. There are some 665 threads around where people discuss the ins and outs of them.

Yeah, sometimes it does seem like they just want our cash, but I don't really know or understand their cost structure anyway, and I have personally found their support to be pretty good.

There is also the 390LM for consideration. I see you're in Canada, so here: http://www.gpscity.ca/motorcycle-gps

I have always had excellent results in dealing with GPS City, and if you PM them here, they may be able to come up with some kind of package deal for you, since you are an ADV member. They've always been good to me and their service has been excellent.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #19
DarkFlames OP
Adventurer

The trigger has been pulled

Well let's hope it's a good move: I have a zumo 665LM coming in the mail from GPS City.

Thanks to Emoto, I got a good deal. The advertised price at GPS City was not that great but I contacted them and got a sweet discount. I hope the unit lives up to the very courteous and prompt service I received from GPS City.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:51 AM   #20
Devil Dog
Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer: 9,186
So what are your thoughts on it now that you've had it a while?
I have one on the way, and should be here today or monday. Any advice or tips?

Fuck Jesse V
In his ass
With a chainsaw
Devil Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #21
DarkFlames OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dog View Post
So what are your thoughts on it now that you've had it a while?
I have one on the way, and should be here today or monday. Any advice or tips?
Well, I have mixed feelings about it. Note that I have only been testing it for a few weeks. I recently used it for navigation in the car. It did its job, but I was amazed how slow it is when you type in an address (lag time between keystrokes).

On the bike, a little brighter display may be good but it should be okay. I am still trying to find a good spot for the GXM antenna. So far, attached on top of my tailpack with velcro does not provide good reception. Using the magnet on the side of the tank (although not recommended by Garmin ) seems to perform best. I think I need to provide enough cable slack to mount on either side of the tank to get the best possible view of the southern skies. The sound quality and volume of XM sucks when paired with the scala G4. I am investigating how that can be improved.

Let us know your thoughts when you get to play with yours!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #22
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
I HATE my 665 LM

I got my ZUMO 665 LM last summer (august).. THis spring I updated it, the software became corrupted when connected to Garmin express on my Win PC. It was a brick.. my issue with Garmin became hate.. when they required that I PAY to send my dead unit back to them and their replacement was a refurbished unit instead of a new one (like I had).. Mine was still under warranty.. Now the new one turns off without warning about every 15 minutes or so.. I was on the phone with Garmin customer support this week.. He told me to re-boot the unit, but that this probably would not resolve the problem so I Would have to pay again for yet another refurbished unit.. I am disgusted with the thing.. it is way too expensive for something with this many issues.. and for customer service to make me pay to send my unit back in inconceivable and a refurbished unit? what is that about.. mine was new..and under warranty.. I Just discovered that the refurbished unit had a 90 day warranty and my original new one had a 1 year warranty so I also had my warranty reduced by Garmin.. I see others praising their customer service.. that's great.. but my experience has been very poor and for the cost.. I should have purchased a Tom Tom Rider..less than half the cost.. http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-RIDER-M..._cd_ql_qh_dp_t
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #23
oldandgray
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Pissed My 665 is loosing its voice

Went for a ride today 61 degrees outside and my 665 had lost its voice (direction audio and XM). Came home put it on the car mount and again no voice. Put it in its case and stuck it in the freezer waited a hour or so took it out of the case put it in the car mount and it had it's voice back, been listining to the XM 50s on 5 for tha past two hours. I have a 12 volt power supply setup in my office so I can power up my audio toys. Dam now I have a interminint thermal issue with my 665 and I need the audio since I don't pay to much attention to the GPS screen when I am riding / driving I only listen for the turning instructions from my sweet british gal.
oldandgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:55 AM   #24
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

I wish I knew thety the Zumo 665 has so many wierd issues before Ipaid $800 for it.. that just adds to my frustration.. I amgoing back to Garmin customer serrvice today.. and will appeal the refurbished uniot that turns off every 10 minutes.. They want me to pay forsending it back to them ($14).. They actually said.. that if I don't I'll have to live with it.. with the amount I have invested the $14 is relativley little but that's just wrong.. they replaced my new unit with a refurbished unit that doesn't work.. they are arrogant and feel completley empowered to do whatever they want to do.. I complained on another rider forum.. OMG.. there were so many defenders of Garmin you would have thought that I was bad mouthing the American way and Mothers Day.. all at once.. I simply want folks to know what they are getting into when they buy a Garmin.. if something is wrong.. with the new unit they treat you like garbage..
Old 06-29-2014, 12:39 PM   #25
DarkFlames OP
Adventurer

Pissed Still testing but tempted to call it a POS

I have been fiddling with the unit for quite a few rides. Trying to make the iphone 5 and G4 setup work. The main issues at the moment are sound quality and volume (XM) and pretty incredible lag between keystroke on the zumo and corresponding beep in my helmet.

I can already anticipate cardo blaming garmin and vice versa. None of these devices are particularly inexpensive so it's a shame they cannot work as advertised/intended.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:58 AM   #26
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlames View Post
I have been fiddling with the unit for quite a few rides. Trying to make the iphone 5 and G4 setup work. The main issues at the moment are sound quality and volume (XM) and pretty incredible lag between keystroke on the zumo and corresponding beep in my helmet.

I can already anticipate cardo blaming garmin and vice versa. None of these devices are particularly inexpensive so it's a shame they cannot work as advertised/intended.
And another reasonable person becomes enraged that for $800 it should work without issues.. I cannot believe that a company would have something like that on the market with so many issues.. ohhh. They have a new unit.. just replaced the 665.. fixes a lot of issues .. supposedly.. I'll avoid Garmin products in the future.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:17 PM   #27
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 9,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noth View Post
I wish I knew thety the Zumo 665 has so many wierd issues before Ipaid $800 for it.. that just adds to my frustration.. I amgoing back to Garmin customer serrvice today.. and will appeal the refurbished uniot that turns off every 10 minutes.. They want me to pay forsending it back to them ($14).. They actually said.. that if I don't I'll have to live with it.. with the amount I have invested the $14 is relativley little but that's just wrong.. they replaced my new unit with a refurbished unit that doesn't work.. they are arrogant and feel completley empowered to do whatever they want to do.. I complained on another rider forum.. OMG.. there were so many defenders of Garmin you would have thought that I was bad mouthing the American way and Mothers Day.. all at once.. I simply want folks to know what they are getting into when they buy a Garmin.. if something is wrong.. with the new unit they treat you like garbage..
I think it's hard for a lot of people to admit they spent good money on a POS and feel the need to defend that purchase regardless. Me, I have no problems admitting that I bought a lot of Garmin shit products. I also am happy to say that I've moved on and am quite happy with my current set up, a Galaxy S5 and apps like OSMand and LocusPro. Sure, there's a learning curve and Android has it's issues, but it's also in relative infancy compared to Garmin and already eclipses them in many ways. One of the funniest sayings a lot of Garmin diehards like to use, sure Garmin sucks, but it's the best thing out there. Well, that ain't true anymore.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:32 PM   #28
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,578
Just a heads up. I have a Garmin 2730 that is no longer supported by Garmin. I wanted to update the maps and they said "no joy"....But they offered to sell me any new Garmin I wanted with a 40% discount. The 665LM comes down well under $500 with the XM antenna and motorcycle mount.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I am happy to assist with this issue. Yes, you can apply the 40% discount to any unit from our website. Please do call us to place this order, as

our email system is not secure.

Please mention this email offer when you call.

With Best Regards,

Bertha

Customer Care - Automotive Team

Garmin International

913-397-8200

800-800-1020

913-440-8280 (fax) Att: Bertha 6150

www.garmin.com
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:50 PM   #29
Stalky Tracker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
Just a heads up. I have a Garmin 2730 that is no longer supported by Garmin. I wanted to update the maps and they said "no joy"....But they offered to sell me any new Garmin I wanted with a 40% discount. The 665LM comes down well under $500 with the XM antenna and motorcycle mount.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

I am happy to assist with this issue. Yes, you can apply the 40% discount to any unit from our website. Please do call us to place this order, as

our email system is not secure.

Please mention this email offer when you call.

With Best Regards,

Bertha

Customer Care - Automotive Team

Garmin International

913-397-8200

800-800-1020

913-440-8280 (fax) Att: Bertha 6150

www.garmin.com
Interesting. I too have 2730. Not sure what the current version is but I updated my maps last year to City Navigator North America NT 2014.2 and they work fine. The entire set does not fit but Basecamp installs whatever I need for wherever I am headed, about half the US.

Though for a 40% discount I wish it hadn't worked.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #30
Noth
Gnarly Adventurer

Now my refurbished 665 (sent to me as replacement for my brand new 665) has a spontaneous power down issue.. I did a master reset and it still happens.. so guess what.. I get to spend yet another $14 to send it back .. what garbage.. worst thing I have ever purchased for anything.. I predict that Garmin will be out of business in 10 years. treating customers like that.. spread the word !!