Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #106
wxwax OP
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,765
I caught the second race and it had the same problem so many of IndyCar's street races do. Before the race the drivers apparently pick a corner and decide they'll spend the entire race wrecking there. Crash after crash after crash in Turn 3. It's bad for the race and it's bad for IndyCar's image.

That said, it was another highly competitive affair. It's great that no team is dominant. And I'm delighted that Will Power didn't win. Every week he rises higher on my enemies list.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:06 PM   #107
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post

That said, it was another highly competitive affair. It's great that no team is dominant. And I'm delighted that Will Power didn't win. Every week he rises higher on my enemies list.
I always fast forward past his interviews, I can't stand looking at him. He has the eyes of a bird: it looks empty behind them.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 PM   #108
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I caught the second race and it had the same problem so many of IndyCar's street races do. Before the race the drivers apparently pick a corner and decide they'll spend the entire race wrecking there. Crash after crash after crash in Turn 3. It's bad for the race and it's bad for IndyCar's image.

i watched the second indycar race and was a bit disappointed with the level of performance.

and then i watched the f1 race on tivo, and the massa thing had me wondering if any formula could successfully get around turn one without a shower of carbon fiber.

it was a competitive race in toronto, but for god's sake put a grind on that patch of concrete or something.

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #109
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 13,122
Sato finished a race!
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #110
green hell
yawning or snarling

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock View Post
Sato finished a race!

best finish of the season!

sadly, this reduces the opportunity to see aj swear on national television before knocking the living shit out of someone.

needless dickery
Old 07-21-2014, 10:10 PM   #111
RedRocket

Quote:
Sato finished a race!
Well, really it was only half of a race.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #112
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 13,122
A very entertaining race today. It proved that qualifying last doesn't dictate that you won't win the race. Dixon started last, and finished first. Superior driving skills and superior strategy can overcome.

He parked his car just after crossing the finish line as he was advised he was in for a long walk if he tried to run another lap.
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #113
green hell
yawning or snarling

Quote:
A very entertaining race today. It proved that qualifying last doesn't dictate that you won't win the race. Dixon started last, and finished first. Superior driving skills and superior strategy can overcome.

He parked his car just after crossing the finish line as he was advised he was in for a long walk if he tried to run another lap.

outside of that first melee it was a great race. that mess with kanaan, andretti & newgarden i'd chalk up to a racing incident, but i replayed it several times and was never quite sure what happened. the guys who picked through that did a hell of a job too.

i thought newgarden's team screwed up by bringing him in so quickly after dixon made his final pit. seemed like he should have spent more time building a gap. and they really screwed up by having that air line halfway across the pit box. his lap times were phenomenal prior to his pit.

ganassi did a great job leaving dixon out during that yellow. i really didn't think his tires would hold out for that last stint, but he just kept pulling away.

that was such a great race even my wife was watching.

needless dickery
Old 08-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #114
Rapid One
The name says it all

Oddometer: 269
I like Kanaan but he was just way too agressive on the start. Racing incident? Yes but impatience was the cause.
Rapid One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #115
RedRocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid One View Post
I like Kanaan but he was just way too agressive on the start. Racing incident? Yes but impatience was the cause.
At the start of a race I think it's fair enough to consider 2 drivers are going to be side by side for the first couple of turns, he didn't leave any room for Tony.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:32 AM   #116
Rapid One
The name says it all

Oddometer: 269
It would have been difficult for Newgarden to see he was there and I doubt he would have been expecting that banzai move to the inside on the first turn of the first lap.
I've run many, many races at Mid-Ohio and that is a risky place to pass anytime much less on the first lap.
Rapid One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #117
wxwax OP
Excited Member

Quote:

I like Dixon so I don't begrudge him the win.

But holy cow, what rotten luck for Newgarden and Sarah Fisher. Someone leaves an air hose across the front of his pit box and ruins what was almost certainly going to be his first win.

He made a couple of great passes to, in essence, take the lead.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #118
wxwax OP
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
At the start of a race I think it's fair enough to consider 2 drivers are going to be side by side for the first couple of turns, he didn't leave any room for Tony.
That's how I saw it too.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 08-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #119
green hell
yawning or snarling

power has made a damn fine run from last to first, even if he dropped back off the podium after that. amazing how quickly the field spread back out after the yellow, too. the russian kid's wreck was horrible; just lucky the floor of the car was against the catch fence.

here's to a great finish.

needless dickery
Old 08-31-2014, 03:13 PM   #120
wxwax OP
Excited Member

Pretty crazy for the season to climax with a race which ends well after midnight in the East. Kills their TV viewership.

Once I saw the kid in the wheelchair, I had to put aside my dislike for Will Power. I did not want to see that young man crushed.

Lots of different winners this season, which is nice to see. And I can't begrudge Will Power his first title. He's been the fastest driver for a few years and only bad luck and bone-headed moves deprived him of one earlier.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan