User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
jes126 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Tall windshield for 1190

I'm 6'4" tall and need a taller windshield for my new 1190. I've narrowed it down to Parabellum and California Scientific. Does anyone have either of these on their 1190? The Parabellum looks like a traditional windshield - kind of bland. It is a little cheaper and has a nice trim edge where it arches over the headlight, whereas the Calif.Scientific has a more modern shape, mimicking the stock KTM windshield's shape, yet is considerably wider. I'm really just looking for the least amount of wind noise and buffeting. Anyone have a taller screen on their 1190 yet?
jes126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #2
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
Quote:
Originally Posted by jes126 View Post
I'm 6'4" tall and need a taller windshield for my new 1190. I've narrowed it down to Parabellum and California Scientific. Does anyone have either of these on their 1190? The Parabellum looks like a traditional windshield - kind of bland. It is a little cheaper and has a nice trim edge where it arches over the headlight, whereas the Calif.Scientific has a more modern shape, mimicking the stock KTM windshield's shape, yet is considerably wider. I'm really just looking for the least amount of wind noise and buffeting. Anyone have a taller screen on their 1190 yet?

Read here...
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=967111&page=3
Old 04-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by jes126 View Post
I just sent the Calsci in size large back. The problem with most of these products is the angle of the screen is perpendicular to the airstream and that wind ends up turbulent on the rider's side of the screen at about ear level. Very annoying to say the least. I believe you will do better cutting the screen down to the point that your head is in clean air flow but then your head/body is more exposed to elements. Good luck.
PAPA
SJTRA
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:01 PM   #4
jes126 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the link to the windshield info.
If Madstad is developing one for our 1190, I think I'll wait for theirs. I have a Madstad system for my 08 Wee-Strom and my 08 KLR650 and feel that they are without a doubt the best system available. Their height and angle adjustability give you limitless options for getting complete wind protection. I'm not sure what they'll do with the 1190 since it is already adjustable, although limited compared to their system.
Also, thanks for the evaluation on the calsci. If Madstad doesn't come through, maybe I'll try the Parabellum.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,596
Givi also has one for the 1190. Looks similar to the Madstad set-up so it can be done.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:48 AM   #6
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Thumb Aeroflow

Check with Aeroflow, they do some very good stuff, bought 3 already2 for BMW and one for my 990 and the work a charm
Old 04-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #7
chief_lee_visceral
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattis View Post
Check with Aeroflow, they do some very good stuff, bought 3 already2 for BMW and one for my 990 and the work a charm

Aeroflow is looking for an 1190 they can use for mock up. They are in the LA area (Atwood) someone give them a call because I like options.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #8
jes126 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all your replies.
I talked to Madstad on Friday and they first said it would be a couple of months before they release their product, but later he admitted that they need an 1190 to do their engineering. They said the local dealers don't have any they can loan them, so we won't see a Madstad system until they can get their hands on an 1190. I told them that if they were closer I'd give them mine, but they are in Florida and I'm in Pennsysvania. Anyone in Florida willing to loan them their 1190? Maybe a free or greatly discounted deal could be made. Anyway, after reading an article in Motorcycle Consumer Magazine I've decided to try a MRA X-Creen Variable Spoiler, available through Twisted Throttle. On Twisted Throttle's site they have an excellent youtube video on this shield. The magazine loves the product, so if I can get it shipped and installed this week I'll try it on a several hundred mile trip we have planned for next weekend. I'll give a review asap.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #9
jimmex
Rider

I just ordered the 10" /4" version of this spoiler thingy.
PAPA
SJTRA
Old 04-21-2014, 03:32 PM   #10
ktmwes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
The Cal Sci medium is the one to get for now..... you can tune it somewhat by using different length spacers. for me a 1/4 shorter top and 1/4 longer bottom angled the shield just right for me. There is no doubt that more can be done with the aerodynamics and the appearance of the shield but I'm happy enough until that happens

14 KTM 1190 Adventure
10 Kawasaki 650 Versys
ktmwes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #11
dewaynehasty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
puig touring screen

So I received my puig touring screen from revzilla today. Cost was around $110 which is a nice price. First impression was "this thing is tall!"

I put the screen in the lower position but I'm still looking through the screen. I have 1 3/4 bar risers but the bars still didn't hit the screen on full lock.

I haven't done a test ride yet. When I do I'll come back for an update.

I'm thinking I might have to cut some of the top off of this screen....we shall see.

Update: I rode with it for 2 hours now. With the shield up or down the air flow goes nicely over the helmet. I'm 6'2 with 33" inseam. The only problem is half the time I'm looking through the shield. Since it is tinted it is really annoying. I'd recommend getting the clear shield.

dewaynehasty screwed with this post 04-24-2014 at 07:48 PM
dewaynehasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,225
This is what I did with my 950's CalSci.
Still running it thataway.....
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:16 PM   #13
jimmex
Rider

MRA Windscreen

Just installed and tested the 10" wide MRA spoiler thingy and it actually works. I'm somewhat incredulous. The thing is infinitely adjustable and on Std windscreen offers quiet relatively smooth airflow with the screen in both low and high positions. The engineering of this little thing is very impressive as well. Someone put a lot of thought and ingenuity into its mounting hardware so that it is adjustable and dead solid when you tighten the adjustment levers. Goodbye ringing ears.
PAPA
SJTRA
Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 PM   #14
scudrunner82
human whoopy cushion

Oddometer: 1,710
pics!

350, 450, 848, 900, 1190r

"Adventure is worthwhile in itself" -Amelia Earheart
scudrunner82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:42 AM   #15
georgian cliff
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Just got my Puig from Revzilla and installed it today - fit perfectly with the mounting kit provided for the bottom two bolts. Took it out in the rain and am very pleased with a sight line just over the top of windshield for normal riding (lowest setting) and had no wobble at 140 km per hour and rain. A great step up for long distance riding over the standard. So far - so good.
georgian cliff is offline   Reply With Quote