ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #16
vintagevp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Touratech Windscreen extender

I added the touratech windscreen extender and combined with no noise ear plugs it made a big difference in buffeting and buzz. I have the standard screen and the XD 4 and I was getting huge buzz. I have never experienced this on any other bike and it was making an otherwise great bike marginal over 70MPH. I am about 80% there but now I could see doing 300 mile days on pavement now. Arizona summers require a lot of slab miles to get to cool weather at least now I will be able to see when I get there.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:07 PM   #17
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,524

MRA spoiler.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:01 AM   #18
JoeShoreline
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Just installed and tested the 10" wide MRA spoiler thingy and it actually works. I'm somewhat incredulous. The thing is infinitely adjustable and on Std windscreen offers quiet relatively smooth airflow with the screen in both low and high positions. The engineering of this little thing is very impressive as well. Someone put a lot of thought and ingenuity into its mounting hardware so that it is adjustable and dead solid when you tighten the adjustment levers. Goodbye ringing ears.

Can you post a pic of that screen?
JoeShoreline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:00 AM   #19
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 883
Jimmex,

What screen do you have the MRA attached to?

What I'm thinking is buying the OEM standard screen since it's a tad bigger than the R version and then putting the MRA on top of that.

Has anyone tried this yet?
Old 05-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #20
jimmex
Guero con moto

OEM screen.
PAPA
SJTR
Old 05-11-2014, 07:30 AM   #21
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
OEM screen.
Thanks, how are you liking it?
Old 05-11-2014, 09:01 AM   #22
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,715
I have had the standard screen which was ok except on the freeway, way to much noise then the touring screen which is better but still to much noise on the freeway, then the CalSci which was the best on the freeway but still not great. Now i am trying out the standard screen with a Puig spoiler, which so far up to about 70 is very nice but have not been on the freeway yet. I just bought the Puig touring screen so will give it a test as soon as it gets here.
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:48 AM   #23
jimmex
Guero con moto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
Thanks, how are you liking it?
I like it although its not going to transform the fairing. It adjustable on two axises so you can fiddle with it according riding conditions. The adjustments levers are very easy to use while underway. I give it 4 of 5 stars.
PAPA
SJTR
Old 05-11-2014, 02:35 PM   #24
OhBoy
Got Out

Oddometer: 1,085
Apparently MRA makes a variety of screen extenders, see here.

Stock screen is about 13 inches wide. The two most mentioned MRA screens are 10 and 15 inches wide. The 15 may be too wide, right shape with the downward flare at the ends. It is 6" tall. The 10 is the wrong shape, oval.

The OEM large screen is only 2" taller than the stock on our Std Adventures.
To stop buffeting you may need more than 2". I made a 4" extender and it works great. Though, it looks a bit rough, it is strong. (It held up to a 130mph headwind the other day)

Ear plugs cause me ear pain, buffeting causes me ear pain, my extension stopped the pain. .

For me, 4" above the stock screen is needed. Am keeping my screen OEM but, am willing to add an extension. Do not want off brand screen.
I've seen the 15 mounted two ways. One with arms which hold it up, out or down. The other seems attached at a single hinge. To get the 4 inch reveal I might need to mount with the arms extended up.

Too much thought for a Sunday afternoon. May just buy some clear lexan and redo my current design.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #25
dewaynehasty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewaynehasty View Post
So I received my puig touring screen from revzilla today. Cost was around $110 which is a nice price. First impression was "this thing is tall!"

I put the screen in the lower position but I'm still looking through the screen. I have 1 3/4 bar risers but the bars still didn't hit the screen on full lock.

I haven't done a test ride yet. When I do I'll come back for an update.

I'm thinking I might have to cut some of the top off of this screen....we shall see.

Update: I rode with it for 2 hours now. With the shield up or down the air flow goes nicely over the helmet. I'm 6'2 with 33" inseam. The only problem is half the time I'm looking through the shield. Since it is tinted it is really annoying. I'd recommend getting the clear shield.

Yeah...well...cutting it didn't go so well. I guess I'm ordering a new one now. This time I'll get the clear model. I think I'll tint the bottom half of it though for looks.
dewaynehasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #26
jimmex
Guero con moto

Pics of hatchet job...
PAPA
SJTR
Old 05-12-2014, 09:19 PM   #27
Doug Matson
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,715
Great I just ordered a Puig and I am 5'9", didn't think it was that high! The clear one was not available on Revzilla. I did try the Puig bolt on spoiler with the standard screen and up to 70 the helmet was in very nice air
93' XR 200
72' SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
70' CB 350
65' CB 160
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #28
Ossie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Just ordered the Madstad! They are ready. I orderd the 20" tall clear screen, comes with their brackets.

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.12603/.f

Check out their info
Ossie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #29
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossie View Post
Just ordered the Madstad! They are ready. I orderd the 20" tall clear screen, comes with their brackets.

http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.12603/.f

Check out their info
Make that order #2. I ordered the 18" light gray. I talked to Mark (owner) and he seems to be a stand up guy. I'm also using his bracket on my Victory with the OEM sheild. Once I tuned it in and found that sweet spot it made a night and day difference with buffeting the shield originally produced.

One thing Mark pointed out is that you can turn his shield 180 degrees around for riding off road. This way it will be out of your face and it will be easy to do since the shield is fasten by thumb screws. It will also make for a great headlight protector for those rocks that can kick up from your buddies riding offroad.

CHRIS_D screwed with this post 05-15-2014 at 01:13 PM
CHRIS_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:03 AM   #30
USPSATrevor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Madstad

Hey guys,

I just got back from a 500 mile trip with my 18" Madstad installed.

I love it!

I had one for my Tiger 800 that was great, but this one works even better. I was able to get my hands on one of the pre-production versions. I hear the only change is going to be raising up the mounting holes on the windshield (lowering the shield) about 1.75". That should be just about perfect.

I said it with the Tiger, and I'll say it for this one too - this is the best money I've spent on a farkle by far.

I'm leaving again tomorrow for another trip. This time about 1600 miles. I haven't taken it off road yet, but I think it is going to work great flipped and working as a headlight shield. Woohooo!

USPSATrevor screwed with this post 05-19-2014 at 12:33 AM
USPSATrevor is offline   Reply With Quote