User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
NeptuneTriton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Thumb Britannia Composites Voodoo Fairing Review KTM 990 950 Adventure

So, I've been watching several threads with the OSO's and I kept seeing this awesome new fairing under development that looked like everything I've been wanting in a 990/950 fairing, but didn't exist. I love my 990, but I'll admit, the stock headlight sucks and there really is very little wind protection. I was all set to get a taller windshield and throw in an HID kit when I stumbled across these OSO threads:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=933485
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956295

BOOM! Had to have it! Solved the lighting, windshield, and GPS mounting problem all at the same time! So, my kit came on Friday and I installed it on Saturday afternoon. Here are some initial pics...installation photos and tips coming as soon as I can get them uploaded and annotated!

NeptuneTriton screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 09:36 AM
NeptuneTriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
NeptuneTriton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Initial Impressions.....

So, it was a chunk of change to get this...and I'm not a rich guy. I had some questions for Ian and it turns out he's just a few hours North of me! Hence why I ended up with my kit so fast

Anyway, he answered my questions and as soon as it hit his site, I put an order in. He seems like a quality guy and so do the guys from Baja Designs, so I figured why not take a risk and just bite the bullet.

I got the kit in the mail and was a little nervous opening up the box....did I just get screwed? Is this going to be worth the money? What if some of it's nice and some of it's kinda junky? Well, I was VERY HAPPY upon looking at everything. Everything is top notch quality (and I'm picky), from the HID light module to the wiring harness, to the connectors...nothing is cheap crap! The HID is from Hella and Made in Austria, the LED is from Baja Designs, and everything else looks to be sourced from high quality suppliers. Whew!

I got everything assembled and installed (took a good 4-5hrs) on Saturday, then spent 7 hours on slab and trail on Sunday with the kit installed. Everything worked beautifully and it was finally pleasant to pound slab to the trails at 75MPH without wearing earplugs or getting tired from all the wind to the helmet and chest.

NeptuneTriton screwed with this post 04-16-2014 at 09:37 AM
Old 04-17-2014, 12:42 AM   #3
CaRefugee
Toy Collector

Oddometer: 25
Looks awesome! Do you have to get on and off the bike to adjust the windshield?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #4
NeptuneTriton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRefugee View Post
Looks awesome! Do you have to get on and off the bike to adjust the windshield?
Well, technically the answer is "yes"...you should adjust the windshield level from the front of the bike. However, I was able to just reach around the fairing and make adjustments from the riding position whilst stopped. Your mileage may vary depending on arm length (LOL) and stability when straddling the bike.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
Jbone11 11
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 601
Dude Im full of envy! I've been following the development of this fairing kit since its inception. You're right...it is a chunk of change but its looking good so far...real good!

Savin' my pennies for sure!
2003 Honda Hornet 600 (SOLD)
1969 BSA Royal Star - Let the Resurrection Begin!
Jbone11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #6
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptuneTriton View Post
So, my kit came on Friday and I installed it on Saturday afternoon.
Doh!

Quote:
...it turns out he's just a few hours North of me! Hence why I ended up with my kit so fast
Oh, well, OK.

HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:44 AM   #7
NeptuneTriton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Cool2 Installation tips....

Ok, so this isn't meant to replace the installation instructions, but more or less help clarify a few things:

1. Remove stock windshield by removing the 6 torx screws holding it in place.

2. Remove headlight assembly. To do this, you're going to have to remove the two upper fairing bolts on each side of the bike. The upper and lower bolts are slightly different (bases) so don't mix them up when putting them back on.

3. The black plastic "sub fairing" is attached to the headlight assembly itself. To remove it, gently lift on the back lower tabs that the lower bolts went through, then rotate it up and out.

4. Now disconnect the headlight wiring harness from the back of the headlight assembly. You can either disconnect at the white connector, or just pull the three prong connector out from behind the headlight.

5. Next, place the headlight assembly with black sub fairing face down. There are four phillips head screws holding the headlight assembly onto the black sub fairing. Remove screws and separate the headlight from the black sub fairing. Set headlight assembly aside, you will no longer need it. You will be reusing the black plastic sub fairing to mount the new windshield to.

6. My bike has the little upper bulb that runs all the time (Euro city light?), so I just pulled the bulb and taped off the opening to the socket. You won't be needing or using this with the new light. I like all my mods to be completely revisable back to factory, so I didn't want to just cut this out entirely.

7. Remove the two screws on the lower electronics box. Replace with the longer screws provided. They will extend further above and create a place for the lower bracket to mount to:

8. At this time, you can test fit the new lighting assembly. The lower portion goes on the two longer bolts at the bottom and the upper is attached with the two shorter bolts provided:

9. The new headlight unit is powered/connected in two places....one is the original headlight three prong socket. The second is direct to the battery. You will need to decide which side of the bike you want to run the wiring harness to. The directions say the right side, but IMHO working around the exhaust pipes tends to be problematic, so I went to the left side instead. Here is the route I took...straight out the rear of the headlight, behind the plastic head frame cover, down the inside of the frame and then into the battery compartment around the area where the fuel pump wiring is:

10. Once you have that wiring attached, and the upper wiring attached, go ahead and fire up the lights to make sure everything is still good to go. Remember theres a 10 second delay on the main light after power on.

11. Once everything is in place, loosely fit the under fairing and new windshield to see where the lights are lining up with the lighting holes in the fairing. You can move the whole assembly around right or left, in or out until it centers up with the new fairing. Once you have it centered up, slightly tighten the attachment bolts to make sure it doesn't slide around on you.

12. Now would be a good time to adjust your beam throw pattern using the acorn nuts on the outside. A word of advice...do this slowly and carefully since the housing is ceramic.

13. The HID projector low beam is slightly higher on the right hand side and not perfectly horizontal. Don't let this freak you out, there's nothing wrong with the light or your installation, they're designed that way to illuminate the side of the road and signs better

14. Last but not least, go ahead and reinstall the black plastic sub fairing, install the new clear plastic windshield to the black fiberglass new fairing and reassemble everything. Double check you didn't miss any screws or fail to tighten any.

YOU'RE ALL DONE!

NeptuneTriton screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 12:54 AM
Old 04-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #8
NeptuneTriton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

NeptuneTriton screwed with this post 04-18-2014 at 12:53 AM
Old 04-18-2014, 03:24 AM   #9
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:

6. My bike has the little upper bulb that runs all the time (Euro city light?), so I just pulled the bulb and taped off the opening to the socket. You won't be needing or using this with the new light. I like all my mods to be completely revisable back to factory, so I didn't want to just cut this out entirely.
It's safer to put a small section of cable tie into the bulb holder (replicating the base of the wedge bulb) before you tape it up as if the contacts in the rubber bulb holder touch together it will blow a fuse.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:55 PM   #10
NeptuneTriton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuts View Post
It's safer to put a small section of cable tie into the bulb holder (replicating the base of the wedge bulb) before you tape it up as if the contacts in the rubber bulb holder touch together it will blow a fuse.
Great tip, I never thought of that! Easy, inexpensive piece of insurance against a short. I'll definitely redo that step.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:00 AM   #11
1coolbanana
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,378
Very nice
Do you know if there is a version for those of us that drive on the left so that the high side of the spread is on the left and not the right like yours?

Hows the high beam?
Any pics

2012 990 R
2004 950 A..........sadly missed
1coolbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:09 AM   #12
zeropoint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolbanana View Post
Very nice
Do you know if there is a version for those of us that drive on the left so that the high side of the spread is on the left and not the right like yours?

Hows the high beam?
Any pics
.....or if it is easily adjustable for those of us that change sides on our travels ?

also is that gps mount part of the structural integrity of the fairing ? Or can it be removed if you wish to use your existing mount ? thanks...
Old 04-23-2014, 02:22 AM   #13
jameslawson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Is there a link or website to buy these kits?
jameslawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:31 AM   #14
zeropoint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
^^http://www.britanniacomposites.com/i...enu/voodoomenu
Old 04-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #15
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
I've had one of Ian's other fairings on my SE for over 80k now and it's been fantastic. Good light and bulletproof, well other than a crack between the lights I epoxied up a couple years ago after hitting a tree.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote