User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #31
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Oddometer: 579
Wind & Noise

guysalami: In short, yes. The Voodoo is no Barn Door like the stock screens. It's swept back so air flow straightens and speeds-up as it passes over. The smooth fast air flows around a helmet like a fast moving stream rather than tumbling around it like a jacuzzi.

First a couple notes that are critical to evaluating the Voodoo: I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam, I sit up-right in the saddle. 42" chest (No Schwarzenegger here ), about 24" bicep-to-bicep when riding. Helmet is a Reevu (street, not dual sport type) and I do wear earplugs.

I've found the Voodoo it is very effective up to about 65mph with the screen at full height. There is noticeably less wind noise cruising a legal fwy speeds. As speed increases the calm air pocket behind the fairing gets smaller, and the air flow passing over the shield becomes more turbulent with the turbulence occurring closer to the shield. Air from the sides at this point starts to squeeze in, narrowing the air pocket and exposing more shoulder to the wind.

I lowered the screen by about 25% and the air flow over the top stays smooth well up into the 90pmh range. The air flow feels very smooth when it reaches my helmet, and it feel like it flows nicely around. When I raise my hand from the tank up past the top of my helmet the air flow coming off the fairing starts getting turbulent just about the top of my visor. Interestingly, when I reach behind my head, the air is calm for about a foot behind my helmet. I'm hypothesizing, but it might be a laminar flow effect with the helmet straightening the air flow just as it starts getting choppy.

I'm sure I'm over-thinking this, but whatever's going on, it's is a big improvement over stock. And again, it's a lot quieter even at 90mph.

I went out last night after dark to get a feel for the lighting and It's no less than "Wow". The HID makes a great low beam and the Baja Designs Squadron is phenomenal: I can't imagine riding without this much light ever again. Unless you're planning on full-out desert night racing, aux lighting just doesn't seem necessary.

I realize I'm still in the "Honeymoon" phase of ownership, but I'll be playing around with screen heights more in the coming weeks and I'll be sure post my impressions here.

I do love the built-in "Demon Halo"

HeatXfer screwed with this post 05-04-2014 at 05:06 PM
HeatXfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:59 PM   #32
guysalami
<put custom title here>

Oddometer: 34
Great write up! much appreciated.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:42 PM   #33
CaRefugee
Toy Collector

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
guysalami: In short, yes. The Voodoo is no Barn Door like the stock screens. It's swept back so air flow straightens and speeds-up as it passes over. The smooth fast air flows around a helmet like a fast moving stream rather than tumbling around it like a jacuzzi.

First a couple notes that are critical to evaluating the Voodoo: I'm 6'4" with a 36" inseam, I sit up-right in the saddle. 42" chest (No Schwarzenegger here ), about 24" bicep-to-bicep when riding. Helmet is a Reevu (street, not dual sport type) and I do wear earplugs.

I've found the Voodoo it is very effective up to about 65mph with the screen at full height. There is noticeably less wind noise cruising a legal fwy speeds. As speed increases the calm air pocket behind the fairing gets smaller, and the air flow passing over the shield becomes more turbulent with the turbulence occurring closer to the shield. Air from the sides at this point starts to squeeze in, narrowing the air pocket and exposing more shoulder to the wind.

I lowered the screen by about 25% and the air flow over the top stays smooth well up into the 90pmh range. The air flow feels very smooth when it reaches my helmet, and it feel like it flows nicely around. When I raise my hand from the tank up past the top of my helmet the air flow coming off the fairing starts getting turbulent just about the top of my visor. Interestingly, when I reach behind my head, the air is calm for about a foot behind my helmet. I'm hypothesizing, but it might be a laminar flow effect with the helmet straightening the air flow just as it starts getting choppy.

I'm sure I'm over-thinking this, but whatever's going on, it's is a big improvement over stock. And again, it's a lot quieter even at 90mph.

I went out last night after dark to get a feel for the lighting and It's no less than "Wow". The HID makes a great low beam and the Baja Designs Squadron is phenomenal: I can't imagine riding without this much light ever again. Unless you're planning on full-out desert night racing, aux lighting just doesn't seem necessary.

I realize I'm still in the "Honeymoon" phase of ownership, but I'll be playing around with screen heights more in the coming weeks and I'll be sure post my impressions here.

I do love the built-in "Demon Halo"
Great write up! You just propelled the Voodoo to the top of my must-have list.

I'm guessing at your height you are sitting on a tall saddle too? Us short guys (6' 1") would probably be that much more protected.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #34
DualSport855
what he said

Oddometer: 90
I just installed this unit on my 07 990. I am very happy with the setup

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.

Riding in Alberta, BC, NWT and Yukon is most amazing.
DualSport855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #35
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRefugee View Post
Great write up! You just propelled the Voodoo to the top of my must-have list.

I'm guessing at your height you are sitting on a tall saddle too? Us short guys (6' 1") would probably be that much more protected.

I've actually got an OEM low gel seat (came with the bike); I've been putting-off getting a tall Seat Concepts, but I've been using an AirHawk lately that puts me up to about the stock seat height.

But you've got me thinking; I've missed a critical dimension: Top of screen to top of helmet. I'm going to have to measure that!
Old 05-23-2014, 06:03 AM   #36
liftedlimo
PNW Stump Jumper

Oddometer: 65
So is this projector a high/low beam?
'05 BMWDakar(sold)
liftedlimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:12 AM   #37
HeatXfer
Bad knees

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedlimo View Post
So is this projector a high/low beam?
Low beam with the Squadron as high beam
Old 05-23-2014, 06:17 AM   #38
liftedlimo
PNW Stump Jumper

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
Low beam with the Squadron as high beam
I wonder why the did this. You can get extremely high quality high low beam projectors that are the same size. I would of loved this setup before I did my custom projector setup and adjustable fairing. Very cool guys!
'05 BMWDakar(sold)
liftedlimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #39
iJabberwocky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
I can't wait to get mine

I have ridden with Neptune and he was following me one evening. I have Rigid Dually D2's and had those one. He was behind me and flipped his brights, they were so bright there was a perfect shadow of myself in front of me and the worst thing to ride in. I was sold. Can't wait to put them on my 990.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #40
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,651
Thumb

I'm stoked to be putting the new Lynx with the Voodoo lighting set up on my exc 530 later this summer!

Have put over 69,000 miles on slightly modded KLR since 2010 using Ian's fairings! Awesome light and great wind protection... not to mention nice dash space to hang my gps, heat troller, 12v plug, voltage/temp, key switch etc...

Having been impressed with the lighting of my current Lynx this new deal really has me looking forward to some night rides.

And as anyone who has dealt with Ian knows...Excellent service too!

Peace,
Jim

Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:55 AM   #41
CaRefugee
Toy Collector

Oddometer: 25
Still happy?

Alright, you guys have had the Voodoo on for awhile now, how are you liking it? Has it solved all of your buffeting issues? How about those strong cross winds that seem to make the ride so loud? Do you find yourself with the screen up most of the time and then just dropping it when you hit the dirt? When the screen is up, are you looking through it? I ask because I wonder if it would be better to have the tinted or the clear? Bottom line - without a doubt it appears to transform the lighting, but has it also put the wind issues behind you?

I made the mistake of giving control of our finances to my wife. Before, I may have been able to hide a big purchase like this in the "details" but no more. Every time I ride for a long ride with the stock windscreen on the KTM, this becomes more of a necessity (along with an aftermarket seat). I'm considering selling one of my bicycles to get this windscreen but want to be certain it is going to solve the buffeting issues first.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:12 AM   #42
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 254
Question Tinted screen

Informative & well-written. Has anyone gotten the tinted shield? If so please post pics. These all seem to be the clears, right?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #43
Ian B
Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by DualSport855 View Post
I just installed this unit on my 07 990. I am very happy with the setup

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Here's the tinted screen
Old 06-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #44
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 254
Thumb

thanks Ian B
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:19 PM   #45
Ryno041
Do it! You won't...

Oddometer: 44
hand guard turning clearance

do the hand guards clear the windscreen at full lock? Unlike the stock one that gives you a horrible turning radius.
2007 WR450F
1987 TT350
Ryno041 is offline   Reply With Quote