Oddometer: 5,894
nice trip .. thanks for sharing
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:54 AM   #182
TimoTheFrench
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Welcome to France

Nice trip and pics. Will you visit "l'île CORSE" ?

Ride safe

Tim
Old 06-14-2014, 02:05 AM   #183
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimoTheFrench View Post
Welcome to France

Nice trip and pics. Will you visit "l'île CORSE" ?

Ride safe

Tim
Hi Tim. (Excuse my French - which is better than my Spanish lol) I presume you mean Corsica?

Unfortunately no, as they say "so little time and so much to see". We are already talking about where we will go when we visit again.

Kiwi Mike
young1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:25 AM   #184
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

The home of denim and we haven't seen any yet

Today's piece of knowledge, the name denim came from the city in which it was first made (and where we are now) Nimes.

We had a walk around Collioure after breakfast before loading KT and heading East. Today has really been a day to get closer to Nice so not much to comment on.

For you Kiwi bikers out there most of the ride was like riding the Himatangi straights in a good Westerly, the sort of day you continually lean into the wind. Leanne had to do the waves to bikers going the other way while I tried to keep KT going straight. Wow what a terrible problem to have, here we are in France living our dreams complaining!

Luckily the wind made it feel cooler, although I saw coming through Montpellier that the temperature was "only" 35.

Only one photo from today. We were trying to find lunch so followed the road into the small village of Saint Guiraud unfortunately we couldn't find anywhere that sold food, or find any sign of life. This village is in the middle of hectares and hectares of vineyards.

However there was a nice war memorial in the town centre

And so she looks her best when we hit Nice, a wash was in order (first I had to find someone who could translate the instructions) to remove 6 weeks of grime

Tomorrow we head to Nice, we have three nights there. Hopefully KT can get a new oil filter and oil there.

And a thank you to "Hammerfist7" who pointed out that the quote in my signature block has been incorrectly attributed to Mark Twain (originally by the New Yorker). I have now changed who it is attributed to.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.H Jackson Brown
Europe trip 2014 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971014

young1 screwed with this post 06-14-2014 at 12:35 PM
Old 06-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #185
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post
Sorry to hear your news Andreas we hope you heal quickly and that it does not inconvenience you too much.

However you can look on the bright side though, you now have more time to look at "orange" bikes for sale!

Hoping to catch up with you when I visit Germany.

Kind regards

Michael & Leanne
Andreas as you will remember Leanne is flying home when we get to Rome. Take a look at our trip plan on page one of this report, how close do we get to your town when we are travelling between Nice and Venice (don't worry about dates as we are three days behind at the moment)?
Old 06-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #186
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Good to see the good Kiwi "Safety First" work ethics there Mike. Remember folks, you should always!!! wear head protection when washing your scooter
Micawberism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #187
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micawberism View Post
Good to see the good Kiwi "Safety First" work ethics there Mike. Remember folks, you should always!!! wear head protection when washing your scooter
As YOU know Colin, you can never be too careful lol
Old 06-15-2014, 10:19 AM   #188
Olirider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
As YOU know Colin, you can never be too careful lol
Especially in a dangerous country full of hungry Frenchmen loving to eat kiwis....

Olirider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:33 AM   #189
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Nimes to Nice

We had a look in Nimes before we headed off. They have this wonderful Roman Amphitheatre in the middle of town that has been remodelled as a bull ring.

The weather looked a bit dodgy so we put the rain liners back into our jackets before leaving. Lucky we did as a thunderstorm caught up with us so we sheltered under a motorway over bridge (along with another group of riders - you can see a Harley pulling in). By the way the rain here does the same as back home, once you have made the decision to get wet weather leggings out and put them on.... the rain stops (I presume that happens in all countries?)

First stop was the Pont de Gard. The French sure know how to do these tourist things with shops, displays, walkways etc etc. They also know how to charge (that blew our "attractions" budget for a couple of days). Nice spot though. (Leanne took this, can you spot me - the sun is shining off my head on the far right of the bridge ha ha)

The rain really set in about 100 kms from Nice (Phil will you stop doing the rain dance!) due to limited visibility it was ugly riding, basically follow the lights of the car in front and watch the mirrors. Due to the weather we didn't stop anywhere else and took the toll road to Cannes and then along the coast to Nice.

Funny story to end with. We got to the toll booth, cost was Euro 14 (NZ$21) and I accidentally went in the toll card payment lane and not the cash lane. By the time I realised four cars were waiting behind us. So I pushed the bike up to the barrier and signalled for the driver behind to advance and pay, lucky his car was narrow as we rode out under the barrier alongside him!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.H Jackson Brown

young1 screwed with this post 06-15-2014 at 01:40 PM
Old 06-15-2014, 02:12 PM   #190
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olirider View Post
Especially in a dangerous country full of hungry Frenchmen loving to eat kiwis....

Tre Bien Monsieur!
Old 06-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #191
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
From Nice to Italy , I suggest you this itinerary
Exit Nice on D19 direction Lantosque , at St. Jean la Riviere turn left on D32 for Utelle ->La Tour , Tournefort and D2205 to St. Saveur and St. Etienne Tinee , the Col de la Bonette; at Guegnier turn right on D900 until La Condamine-Chatelard, here turn left to take the gravel road of Col de Parpaillon , with its scenic tunnel. Descent to Sr. Andrè d'Embrun -> Guillestre -> Col d'Izoard -> Cervieres - Here could be an option to turn right in the gravel road to Fond des Cervieres where there is a mountain hut (food and lodging) http://www.alpes-guide.com/sources/s....asp?cle=19667
Next day
Briançon (worth the visit) - Montgenevre, -> Italie Sestrieres, Assietta road (gravel) to Meana di Susa
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:59 PM   #192
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
From Nice to Italy , I suggest you this itinerary
Exit Nice on D19 direction Lantosque , at St. Jean la Riviere turn left on D32 for Utelle ->La Tour , Tournefort and D2205 to St. Saveur and St. Etienne Tinee , the Col de la Bonette; at Guegnier turn right on D900 until La Condamine-Chatelard, here turn left to take the gravel road of Col de Parpaillon , with its scenic tunnel. Descent to Sr. Andrè d'Embrun -> Guillestre -> Col d'Izoard -> Cervieres - Here could be an option to turn right in the gravel road to Fond des Cervieres where there is a mountain hut (food and lodging) http://www.alpes-guide.com/sources/s....asp?cle=19667
Next day
Briançon (worth the visit) - Montgenevre, -> Italie Sestrieres, Assietta road (gravel) to Meana di Susa
Thank you GiorgioXT. I had a separate thread a while ago where I asked for help with the route selection;

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=967405
Old 06-16-2014, 03:11 AM   #193
Beks
n00000000000b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:

.... when my employer could not match the 8 weeks leave that Leanne had approved. So I have I resigned ...
You are my hero...
Now let me go back to page 1 and continue reading...
b.
Beks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:33 AM   #194
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,606
Mike and Leanne

Have just caught up on all your report!

Just bloody marvelous!!!!!!

Really really enjoying it!!! Will be showing ShaggieWife..........

Looking fwd to more!

Best wishes

Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #195
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Nice

The day started with a trip to the KTM dealer hoping to get an oil and filter change. I waited for 20 minutes for them to open before the local cafe guy told me that they were closed on Mondays. Hmmm

Anyway I went back to our apartment and had some happy juice to get over it. I waited for any "hit" but nothing happened, think I will stay with the Red Bull.

But how cool is this, KT takes an elevator to get to the car park (notice Colin that I have full safety gear on this time lol)

We took the, very nice windy, back roads to Grasse an area well known (to some) for it's perfumeries. Lucky there was no weight limit on this bridge.

Leanne was keen to tour one of the perfumeries where the whole business of making things smell nice was explained. It was amazing the number of different scents that can be used to make perfume, this is half of them (unfortunately I could not find the scent of hot "Castrol R" they must have sold out).

Leanne didn't buy anything in the shop, I think her sense of smell has been destroyed due to me only having room for two pairs of riding socks and two riding shirts (you may have noticed that when I am riding it is either blue or red shirt day!

Then we explored Nice. We walked along the promenade (along the coast) to the main town and a beautiful park. The highlights here were, obviously, this statue (sorry team the front side wouldn't pass the ADV censors)

And two amazing fountains. The first produced a really fine mist, ideal for cooling down

While the second had approx 80 jets that played to various heights and sequences. Kids (and Leanne) loved it

We checked the port to see if we could recognise any of our friends luxury yachts (Marcel you must have already left, ha ha)

I know we will see far more and larger boats in Monaco, but one thing that blew us away when we rode past the airport yesterday was the number of executive jets lined up. It was hard to ride and count but there were at least 50! Unfortunately no where to take a picture.

The day finished with a Bacardi and coke (do you think Leanne suits a moustache?)

And for the Kiwis back home, what do you think the PC "police" would say about this restaurants name?

Tomorrow KT will get a service, that is confirmed, yay! We will head to Monaco on the train (unless the KTM dealer has a spare 1190R looking for a day out).

young1 screwed with this post 06-16-2014 at 02:12 PM