Oddometer: 720
Me jealous.
That is all.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:24 AM   #227
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 387
Hi Mike and Leanne,

Thanks very much for posting more wonderful pictures, glad you are enjoying Switzerland ... looks beautiful. Not long now before Italy and then ... Greece and Albania! I'm really looking forward to meeting up with you first thing Friday 11th July. Have you got the ferry ticket for the crossing to Igoumenitsa? If not, it might be an idea to book the ticket online as soon as possible ... the Italy-Greece ferries are getting overbooked at the moment.

If there are any other "spare parts" needed for KT, let me know and I can get them from the KTM dealer in Corfu and bring them with me on 11th.

Best regards,
Rob
Old 06-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #228
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
Hi Mike and Leanne,

Thanks very much for posting more wonderful pictures, glad you are enjoying Switzerland ... looks beautiful. Not long now before Italy and then ... Greece and Albania! I'm really looking forward to meeting up with you first thing Friday 11th July. Have you got the ferry ticket for the crossing to Igoumenitsa? If not, it might be an idea to book the ticket online as soon as possible ... the Italy-Greece ferries are getting overbooked at the moment.

If there are any other "spare parts" needed for KT, let me know and I can get them from the KTM dealer in Corfu and bring them with me on 11th.

Best regards,
Rob
Hi there Rob, the ferry is all booked and hopefully no more KTM parts will be needed.

Looking forward to the next part of the adventure :-)

Will skype you before them

Kiwi Michelangelo (the Italian version)
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:00 AM   #229
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Ciao from Bolzano Italy

We have had a great day. Before I start there are two questions that I have to ask!

First what do you call someone who comes from this town?

And second, does this indicate there is a toilet in the tunnel?

It was our last day in Switzerland and we headed to Italy. Some nice roads and scenery.

Heading out of Switzerland we rode over two mountain passes; the Julierpass at 2284 metres and Passo del Bernina at 2330 metres, then we crossed the border to Italy with no stop required (it was their lunchtime)

The highlight today was the Passo Dello Stelvio (or to us uneducated Kiwis - Stelvio Pass). This is the highest paved road in the Alps and there are 75 hair pin turns (no I didn't count them, on each side they are numbered with number one being at the top). Pictures!

Heading up past one of the numbered hairpins

There were some quite narrow tunnels / avalanche shelters

Looking back

Check out the tunnels

At the top, I tried to use my Kiwi charm and charisma on this woman cyclist, but (as usual..) I was ignored lol

Looking down the way we are heading

Tomorrow we head to Venice, we have three nights there. Where we are now is a delightful little hotel surrounded by vineyards and the cold beer is going down very easily!
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.
H Jackson Brown
Old 06-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #230
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
Me jealous.
That is all.
Brent you are still a man of few words :-)

Hope you are both well.

Mike
Old 06-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #231
iny46
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Hi Mike and Leanne

Awesome pics
You are having good luck with the weather 👏
Venice is so nice, I visited it two years ago. Take a ride
With the water bus vaporetto and watch the pocket pickers.

My ankle is healing good I think I can be part of a tour in the Dolomites
In 8 days.

The small roads in the Alps were build in World War 1

When are u coming to Germany?

Have a save ride.

Rgds Andreas

http://www.mittelerde-mit-dem-motorrad.de
iny46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:23 AM   #232
cold comfort
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Fantastic pics and updates. Crouched in front of the fire,taping sections of maps together, reading your blog (and others) and dreaming of following in your tyre tracks this time next year. Hope the weather is also kind then too!
cold comfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:41 AM   #233
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 387
Mike, a whole day and no more pics? Betcha you've been riding up and down the Stelvio pass and lost track of time
Old 06-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #234
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZorba View Post
Mike, a whole day and no more pics? Betcha you've been riding up and down the Stelvio pass and lost track of time
Dinner in Venice is taking priority lol

Mike
Old 06-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #235
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Bolzano to Venice

First I was a bit quick with my "Ciao from Bolzano" yesterday, Bolzano is in the German speaking part of Italy, something that I did not know existed.
Anyway today's update is brought to you by the letter V (apologies to Sesame Street).

Our morning tea / stretch the legs stop was at Villa Lagarina

Lunch was in Verona, where being the city famous for Romeo and Juliette, Leanne forget her recent Julie Andrews impression and acted out Juliette;

"Romeo, Romeo where for art though Romeo" (or something like that, Shakespeare wasn't my favourite part of English at school)

Romeo "Stop stuffing around, it is hot so get on the bike (please darling....)"

The third V is of course Venice. A beautiful place if it wasn't for all the tourists (of which we of course are) as you can see here. Keep in mind that this is 6.00pm in the afternoon and on our way in we went past lots of people (plus a cruise ship) leaving.

Even with all the people I wouldn't want to miss seeing this city

And the last V? We have a bottle of Italian red vino here ready to open :-)

Rob I would love to do the Stelvio Pass again. One interesting thing, when we were riding down I followed the example of the rider in front who was riding out to his right, before the hairpin, to look over the wall down to see if any cars were coming up (if not you could take the corner wider). Because the switchbacks are so close together, when I did that zuMO was telling me to do a U turn as he thought I was on the piece of road one over and going the wrong way.

One last thing, today we decided to ride on the Autostrada, we sat mostly on 115km/hr (don't worry mum the speed limit is 130). Aren't these big adventure bikes just awesome! A bit like Jekyll and Hyde. Yesterday we were winding up switchbacks, using first gear in many instances. Today KT sat solidly on the road and had no difficult in top gear roll ons from 115 when I had to get out of the way of a car approaching quickly from behind.

However saying that it would be great to do the passes we have done on a smaller lighter bike with no luggage.

We have two days here to explore Venice and possibly the surrounding area.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.
H Jackson Brown

young1 screwed with this post 08-29-2014 at 03:51 AM
Old 06-26-2014, 12:54 PM   #236
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold comfort View Post
Fantastic pics and updates. Crouched in front of the fire,taping sections of maps together, reading your blog (and others) and dreaming of following in your tyre tracks this time next year. Hope the weather is also kind then too!
Cold Comfort glad we are being of some help :-)

Did you ever see the forum where I asked for help with the route from Nice to Venice? If not here is the link http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=967405

We mainly followed MichaelJ's suggested route (at bottom of page 1).

Do me a favour and have a couple of slices of Vogels toast with lashings(!) of marmite spread over them.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #237
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,352
In Venice don't forget to take the vaporetto (from Fondamente Nuove, and better to take a travelcard , since one way single tickets are 7 each) and go to Burano and Torcello , small islands north of Venice

Burano is small fisherman town , Torcello is where story of Venice started.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #238
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Islands day -Venice, Murano, Burano and Torcello

GiorgioXT we took your advice today, we bought a 24 hour pass (we can use it early tomorrow) and headed to the islands. We took the bus again to Venice, when you see the motorbike park you will understand why

What is funny is sitting on the bus, when we come to an intersection I do what I do on the bike, say Tight Right or Long Left

How is this for a gorgeous boat, must be a limo of the boat world

Leanne was tempted on Murano (the glass blowing Island) and bought a nice necklace and ear rings

And one scenery pic of Burano. All the houses are painted different colours

And the BIG news of today.... I have a confirmed place on the Ducati factory and museum tour on 2.7.14, the day we will be heading to Florence from Riomaggiorie. Strangely they point out that they only have parking for Ducatis!

Tomorrow we will explore Venice.
H Jackson Brown
Old 06-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #239
Jim pedley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Hi Michael me and my daughter will be in Hungary on the 26th July staying in kaszthely southern end of lake balaton. Be good to catch up with you if your around that area then
Jim pedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:40 PM   #240
Beatswalkin
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi guys! We love reading your blog daily. How are you ever going to come back to NZ and back to normality after your amazing trip! Leanne, buying jewellery is very practical as you can wear it home and Mike doesn't need to pack it. Marcel sugggests you check out the rings also! LOL.
Beatswalkin is offline   Reply With Quote