Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #286
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Or buy a Triumph and not have any problems at all.
The problem with a Tiger is that a good friend of ours has one and it is a really nice bike. If we bought one I couldn't then have him on about Triumph and oil leaks (isn't that right Kelvin? Lol)

young1 screwed with this post 07-07-2014 at 01:27 PM
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #287
MrKiwi
Ageing Enthusiast

Oddometer: 520
Just caught up with this thread, enjoying the reporting, cheers from a chilly Lower hutt...
Old 07-08-2014, 08:25 AM   #288
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Rome

We spent the day looking around the Vatican City mainly.

First a big announcement. I am pretty sure that when we took this selfie in St Peter's square that I saw a white robed arm give me a thumbs up from the Popes office. Is he a KTM fan? (Like my new cap?)

I also made use of the fountain of "holy water" in the square as I thought that with its extra properties it might restore some hair (nothing happening yet..)

Good to see that the Vatican are also hiding some of their treasures behind scaffolding during the busy touristy season!

Swiss Guards looking splendid in their uniforms

Leanne did the tour of the Vatican museum and Sistine Chapel and took in all of the art work. How is the ceiling, imagine how your back would feel after painting that!

Tonight we are meeting up with an Italian ADV rider (hobbes67). Tomorrow is packing (Leanne first has to buy a bag) and I will pick KT up.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.H Jackson Brown
Europe trip 2014 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971014
Old 07-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #289
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post

Leanne did the tour of the Vatican museum and Sistine Chapel and took in all of the art work.
Did they let you in wearing shorts? I got turned away by the Swiss Guard with a "No shorts". I pointed out a woman going in wearing shorts but got another "no shorts". Bloody sexist lot!
Old 07-08-2014, 01:04 PM   #290
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Did they let you in wearing shorts? I got turned away by the Swiss Guard with a "No shorts". I pointed out a woman going in wearing shorts but got another "no shorts". Bloody sexist lot!
I didn't do the tour as I did it a few years ago. It is good though that they maintain some standards (or could it have been your knees!)

Mike
Old 07-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #291
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

We had a couple of drinks tonight with hobbes67. Thank you Gianluca, we both enjoyed meeting you. Hope to see you in New Zealand sometime :-)

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.H Jackson Brown
Old 07-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #292
hobbes67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
[QUOTE=young1;24571008]We had a couple of drinks tonight with hobbes67. Thank you Gianluca, we both enjoyed meeting you. Hope to see you in New Zealand sometime :-)

Mike,
my pleasure meeting you and Leanne. hopefully we will meet again sometimes at the other end of the world! :)
Safe travel!
Gianluca
hobbes67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:27 AM   #293
BISHO
n00b

Oddometer: 1
[QUOTE=young1;24562196]The problem with a Tiger is that a good friend of ours has one and it is a really nice bike. If we bought one I couldn't then have him on about Triumph and oil leaks (isn't that right Kelvin? Lol)[/

I would rather have a Triumph that bleeds a little than a KTM with an internal haemorrhage. Haha

Also is the photo of the lady with the bags not Leanne after a days shopping
BISHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:35 AM   #294
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=BISHO;24575539]
Quote:
The problem with a Tiger is that a good friend of ours has one and it is a really nice bike. If we bought one I couldn't then have him on about Triumph and oil leaks (isn't that right Kelvin? Lol)[/

I would rather have a Triumph that bleeds a little than a KTM with an internal haemorrhage. Haha

Also is the photo of the lady with the bags not Leanne after a days shopping
I was waiting for your reply Kelvin :-)

When Leanne sees your comment about her being the bag lady, well alll I can say is WATCH YOUR BACK. LOL

although wait until you see a photo I will post later of her with today's purchase. Off now on a tram / taxi / train / walk trek to pick KT up
Old 07-09-2014, 10:00 AM   #295
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Rome

Well if part one of the trip was riding to Lisbon to collect Leanne, part two was riding with Leanne from Lisbon to Rome over approximately 10,000 kms and that part ends today.

Part three starts very early tomorrow with Leanne being picked up by a taxi at 6.45am for her flight home to New Zealand (via Zurich and Shanghai!) and me riding to Bari to start the four week ride through the Balkans etc back to London.

Anyway today we had to buy Leanne a new suitcase (we couldn't carry, with us, the bag she used to get to Lisbon). We then had to carry it through town, on the tram etc.

We found a Ducati cafe, it was very nice, cross between a cafe, bike showroom (4 bikes) and lots of Ducati merchandise, we weren't ripped off for the food and drink either.

While I went and picked KT up from the workshop Leanne had a very disappointing shopping trip, finding nothing that she liked to buy :-)

The team at Bi & Ti KTM (www.bieti.net) have fixed KT's water pump problems

Leanne has said that the clothes that she has had with her for the last 8 weeks won't be used, once she gets home, for a very long time (trouble travelling light is lack of choice on the clothes front). I will make sure they are at the back of the wardrobe lol
Old 07-09-2014, 10:04 AM   #296
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

KTM anniversary bike

I also found out what this was (remember from a couple of days ago?)

30th anniversary, first time I have seen one.

Old 07-09-2014, 04:23 PM   #297
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 3,397
So Leanne is taking another 36 hour flight back. Will she arrive home yesterday or the day after tomorrow? :) hopefully the time/space discontinuity will help attenuating the shock of going back to 'real life'!

Cheers and kisses from Catarina.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #298
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,867
Quote:
Well if part one of the trip was riding to Lisbon to collect Leanne, part two was riding with Leanne from Lisbon to Rome over approximately 10,000 kms and that part ends today.

Part three starts very early tomorrow with Leanne being picked up by a taxi at 6.45am for her flight home to New Zealand (via Zurich and Shanghai!) and me riding to Bari to start the four week ride through the Balkans etc back to London.

Anyway today we had to buy Leanne a new suitcase (we couldn't carry, with us, the bag she used to get to Lisbon). We then had to carry it through town, on the tram etc.

We found a Ducati cafe, it was very nice, cross between a cafe, bike showroom (4 bikes) and lots of Ducati merchandise, we weren't ripped off for the food and drink either.

While I went and picked KT up from the workshop Leanne had a very disappointing shopping trip, finding nothing that she liked to buy :-)

The team at Bi & Ti KTM (www.bieti.net) have fixed KT's water pump problems

Leanne has said that the clothes that she has had with her for the last 8 weeks won't be used, once she gets home, for a very long time (trouble travelling light is lack of choice on the clothes front). I will make sure they are at the back of the wardrobe lol
Hi Leanne, been loving your trip and all the pics. I'm sure when you get home you'll be diving into your wardrobe and wearing everything you haven't worn since you left. It'll just be like shopping in your wardrobe lol. Oh and we meant to mention that when you bought the glass ornament I can say from experience that rocks are a lot less breakable, or maybe the much smaller rocks (gems to be precise).
Have a safe fight (flights) home and we'll look forward to seeing you.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:13 AM   #299
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Rome to Bari

A strange day today, after having Leanne with me since Lisbon it felt strange to be riding by myself. I sort of felt like Gilligan without the Captain there to rescue me!

Although hobbes67 had suggested a route through the central mountains, the weather that way did not look good so I rode via a stop at Monte Cassino commonwealth war cemetery (in the background you can see the building that the fighting was over)

I put on a grave of a member of the New Zealand Air Force the poppy that I have carried since our ANZAC (remembrance) day

And also visited the Cassino

The weather gods must have felt my sadness today and helped to cheer me up by giving me a wonderful strong tail wind as I crossed from the west to east coast.

Definitely not a turn off the autostrada for me here!

I am currently in Bari, ferry leaves at 8.00pm and arrives in Greece at 6.30 am, hope for a smooth sailing!

young1 screwed with this post 07-10-2014 at 12:59 PM
Old 07-10-2014, 07:17 AM   #300
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M View Post
So Leanne is taking another 36 hour flight back. Will she arrive home yesterday or the day after tomorrow? :) hopefully the time/space discontinuity will help attenuating the shock of going back to 'real life'!

Cheers and kisses from Catarina.
Nice to hear from you Carlos, hope you are looking at maps of New Zealand!

Leanne arrives in New Plymouth 9.30 am on Saturday. Has a six hour stop over in Shanghai :-(

Luckily though she managed to fit her helmet into the suitcase so doesn't have to carry it.