Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 02:09 PM   #361
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim pedley View Post
Been fantastic reading all your reports and give me lots of ideas of places to visit . Il be leaving the UK in 6 hours and hope to meet up with you in Hungary enjoy your stay in zagrebe

Nice one Jim.

I sent you a PM, I am one day ahead of schedule, looking to ride past the lake on Saturday 26.7.14, will you be there then?

Mike
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #362
RobZorba
RobZorba

Oddometer: 394
Hi Mike,

Thanks a lot for the ongoing reports and great pics. I'm really jealous I did not see Dubrovnik with you. It looks a fantastic place with good vibes. I hope to go there next year and also see Tirana and Split en route.

Best regards,
Rob
Old 07-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #363
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Split to Zagreb (still Crostia)

I have to be careful what I say about Croatia as this is one country that Leanne wanted to visit but time was against that. As I said I should be careful BUT if Jennifer Anniston (she is an actress mum) was a country, she would be Croatia. This country is beautiful.

Today I followed a route out of Split and kept to the coast through Sibenik to Zadar, I then used a whole tank of petrol on the motorway before turning off and riding through some of the small villages.

Not the best of photos but this gives you an idea of the scenery from the road

Beautiful water

Morning red bull stop

Lunch stop in Zedar

Boring motorway service station (after a quick 240 kms or so)

Do you think the residents know?

This was a great road to ride, lots of rises and drops where it wouldn't take much to get some air.

Tomorrow another day off the bike to see what Zagreb has to offer
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.H Jackson Brown
Europe trip 2014 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971014
Old 07-25-2014, 01:01 AM   #364
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Trip plan update

I have changed my plan for the route back to London to give me more time to enjoy these amazing countries and to reduce the kilometres that I need to ride.

The updated route is on page one of this report.

Kiwi Mike
Old 07-25-2014, 01:42 AM   #365
Jim pedley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post
Nice one Jim.

I sent you a PM, I am one day ahead of schedule, looking to ride past the lake on Saturday 26.7.14, will you be there then?

Mike
Hi mike well I've got bacon and heading in to Germany now but still got 700 hundred miles to go so il probably stay in Austria to night then get into hungary first thing Saturday il update you more this evening !
Jim pedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:02 AM   #366
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi mike well I've got bacon and heading in to Germany now but still got 700 hundred miles to go so il probably stay in Austria to night then get into hungary first thing Saturday il update you more this evening !
Sounds good Jim, keep me updated. I am booked into Budapest for Saturday night

Safe travels

Kiwi Mike
Old 07-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #367
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Zagreb

I have worked out what I like about Zagreb, it is not full of tourists, sure "we" are here but the city has its own life with the locals going about their business. Also for a Kiwi whose dollar is not worth much when converted, the prices etc are very reasonable.

Also what is nice in Crostia (verses Rome, Florence and Nice) is there aren't the people selling bags / handbags etc with all their wares spread out on sheets on the ground in the way of everyone (okay I am picky and yes they have to make a living).

Today I have explored the city. I used the hop on / hop off bus and then walked a few kilometres before having a meal in one of the squares.

First here is where I am staying. It is owned by an ADVrider inmate, Frgich, and is an awesome place to stay. If you are heading this way give this place a serious look (website is http://www.lobagola.com), it has only been open for a month, and has secure storage for bikes.

Here is something unusual, that you do need to be especially aware of if riding a bike along the tram routes. The van in the background has stopped to deliver to shops. As the tram lines are on each side of the road he has to park in the MIDDLE of the road to avoid blocking the tram. It would be easy on a bike to pull out to pass a tram and run straight up rear of a parked vehicle.

They are restoring the cathedral, here is a new piece next to the old one, it sure shows the effort of weather and pollution.

I won't bore you with lots of photos of old buildings and parks, Zagreb sure has some beautiful parks. A picture for my mother though, who is a very keen gardener. This is from the Botanical Gardens and yes all the plants have labels giving their names (as you can guess my mum gets annoyed when plants aren't labelled!

And one of the beautiful flower beds.

What was cool is that there were turtles in the ponds!

Finally this guy played opposite where I had dinner. He wasn't the best but he did try hard. He played one of my favourite songs when I am away from home / loved ones; Pink Floyds "Wish You Were Here". I did record a piece of it to email to Leanne. But heh, just in case he if is a biker and is reading this, thank you!

Tomorrow off to Budapest in Hungary with an important stop on the way to pick up Bacon who wants to travel home with me. Hopefully more on that tomorrow.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.H Jackson Brown
Europe trip 2014 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971014
Old 07-25-2014, 02:14 PM   #368
Jim pedley
Gnarly Adventurer

Hi mike I'm still on route with bacon ! Been a slow day riding today I've camped up in Austria going Leave at 7am so should be in keszthey by 12.30 pm there is a McDonald's in keszthey of you want to meet there ? It's on the main road leading out .think its the A 719 ? Hope that fits in with your plans and time scale .
Thanks jim
Old 07-25-2014, 02:25 PM   #369
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi mike I'm still on route with bacon ! Been a slow day riding today I've camped up in Austria going Leave at 7am so should be in keszthey by 12.30 pm there is a McDonald's in keszthey of you want to meet there ? It's on the main road leading out .think its the A 719 ? Hope that fits in with your plans and time scale .
Thanks jim
Yes see you there :-)

Gourmet food, yummy lol

Mike
Old 07-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #370
johnny77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Welcome to Hungary Michael and Leanne!

I hope you'll enjoy the ride in my country!! Best wishes!
johnny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #371
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny77 View Post
Welcome to Hungary Michael and Leanne!

I hope you'll enjoy the ride in my country!! Best wishes!
Unfortunately it is just Michael now :-(

And as you will have seen from my trip plan on page 1 of this blog I am really only passing through on this trip.

Thank you though for the welcome Johnny

Kiwi Mike
Old 07-25-2014, 02:54 PM   #372
johnny77
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post
Unfortunately it is just Michael now :-(
Sorry Mike, I've just started reading your blog. I though you are riding together but I recognized that you are only riding now. Have a pleasant journey!

If you have any problem I offer this guys:

http://www.ktm-ocsa.hu/index.php?page=4
johnny77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:43 AM   #373
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny77 View Post

If you have any problem I offer this guys:

http://www.ktm-ocsa.hu/index.php?page=4
Thank you Johnny
Old 07-26-2014, 03:31 AM   #374
Jim pedley
Gnarly Adventurer

Going be 2 hours mike sorry
Old 07-26-2014, 12:33 PM   #375
Jim pedley
Gnarly Adventurer

Great to meet up with you mike and thanks for waiting ! Hope you had a safe journey to Budapest look after bacon and looking forward to reading the final weeks of your journey cheers again Jim !!!