User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #46
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,313
And he's rolling!

All the best for your travels mate. I look forward to following your progress so keep the updates coming

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #47
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,722
Whoo Hoo, Take care mate, not as easy on the other side of the road is it. Even walking across the road can be tricky.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:59 PM   #48
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
Whoo Hoo, Take care mate, not as easy on the other side of the road is it. Even walking across the road can be tricky.
You are telling me, on the little lanes around here I keep saying keep right, it just seems so unnatural.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.
H Jackson Brown
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:07 PM   #49
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

A military theme

After lunch yesterday there were a couple of bucket list places I wanted to go. On the way out of Calais I thought it quite apt to see a wild poppy growing so close to Flanders.

Next stop Dunkirk where I stood by the memorial, to take this photo

It was very windy yesterday afternoon, not too nice. However I arrived in Bailloul, delightful little town near border with Belgium. This is the bnb I am in, sure beats a modern hotel!

Then I headed to Ypres for the 8pm Menin Gate ceremony, quite moving seeing the thousands of names on the memorial. This is people leaving at the end.

And finally the delightful roads to ride on between here and Belgium.

To Le Havre today with a few detours on the way.

Kiwi Mike
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.
H Jackson Brown
Old 05-08-2014, 01:21 AM   #50
Te Hopo
AKA Deanohit

Oddometer: 818
Damn that last shot looks like such a nice road to ride.

My DRZ400E Thread
Te Hopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:36 AM   #51
Olirider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by young1 View Post

Small town France, stopped to find somewhere for lunch.

Hello,

Welcome to France !
That's funny : As soon as arrived, you managed to find an endangered species : the French Communist Party (PCF).
It's true that northern France used to be its natural settlement...
Olirider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #52
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Have arrived in Le Havre

Up to lunchtime great riding through small villages, bush areas etc. At lunchtime the rain set in so I changed the GPS setting to fastest route and spent time on the motorway.

I did learn some valuable lessons;
Sitting on a bike seat in France with a wet ass feels the same as in NZ.
3 hours in the rain is a good test of waterproofing
Not all of my jacket pockets are waterproof
Wet / soggy toll "tickets" from the toll booth can not be read by the automatic reader at the motorway exit
It is hard to hear a Frenchman through the intercom try and speak English with a helmet and air plugs in.
The fuel light will come on just as you pass an exit for fuel
While paging through the GPS options to find closest fuel, you will miss the turning for the next one!
French women are very understanding when it comes to having wet riding gear hanging around the house

Any way to the photos

I went past quite a few war cemeteries today, this was at Caestre

Morning coffee and toilet stop (across the road where that chap is heading). Like NZ people are far friendlier in small bars, horse gambling type places. I "chatted" to the locals while I had my coffee.

My first toll booth, about to experience the wet toll booth ticket problem...

H Jackson Brown
Old 05-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #53
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,616
Subscribed have a safe and fantastic adventure you guys. Loving the pics already
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:45 AM   #54
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

A separate post for these photos. In 1942 my dad, a Lieutenant in the British Parachute Regiment, took part in a raid on occupied France. The object was to attack a German radar station and steal key parts for the English scientists to examine.

While planning my route to pick Leanne up in Portugal I thought it would be nice to go to the French town, Bruneval, where the raid took place. I found out then that there is a memorial to Operation Biting.

The view walking to the memorial

Here is a poppy that one of our family wore to the New Zealand ANZAC day celebration on 25.4.14, placed alongside my dad's name (the last name)

H Jackson Brown
Old 05-08-2014, 03:40 PM   #55
Olirider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
I just read about Operation Biting on Wiki : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Biting

Congratulations for the bravery of your father.
We, as Frenchmen, owe a lot to this kind of brave men.
Olirider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:24 AM   #56
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,438
Hey Mike good to hear you're travelling. Looking forward to your updates esp Morocco. If Phil can't make it as your emg mechanic there I'm sure I can fill in.

What are you taking your pictures with? Sorry to be critical but with such an awesome trip coming up you should really get a good camera - your warehouse phone isn't doing it justice

Ride safe bro
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:06 PM   #57
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
Hey Mike good to hear you're travelling. Looking forward to your updates esp Morocco. If Phil can't make it as your emg mechanic there I'm sure I can fill in.

What are you taking your pictures with? Sorry to be critical but with such an awesome trip coming up you should really get a good camera - your warehouse phone isn't doing it justice

Ride safe bro
Thanks for the offer Padmei, I will keep it in mind :-)

I have sent you a PM re the camera (are my settings wrong...)
H Jackson Brown
Old 05-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #58
ErikMotoMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Wicked East German 'female' olympian?

Big dude, pink helmet ? Scary! When in Southern Spain look up my friends Hana and Patrick of http://www.motoadventours.com. They'll tell you everything you need to know about Morocco.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964253
ErikMotoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #59
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikMotoMan View Post
Big dude, pink helmet ? Scary! When in Southern Spain look up my friends Hana and Patrick of http://www.motoadventours.com. They'll tell you everything you need to know about Morocco.
Thank you Erik, I was in touch with Hana early on and she is a LinkedIn contact. We are staying with a tent space inmate in Lisbon, by chance he also takes tours to Morocco so we have had, and will get more, advice from him.

And yes that helmet was scary, maybe he was colour blind and his mates were playing tricks!

Thanks again
Kiwi Mike
H Jackson Brown
Old 05-09-2014, 12:57 PM   #60
ErikMotoMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Bruce McLaren -possibly the worlds most famous Kiwi?

The company founded in 1963 by McLaren is best known as a Formula One constructor but has also competed and won in the Indianapolis 500 and Canadian-American Challenge Cup (Can-Am). The team is the second oldest active team (after Ferrari) and one of the most successful teams in Formula One, having won 182 races, 12 drivers' championships and 8 constructors' championships.

The team won its first Grand Prix at the 1968 Belgian Grand Prix but their greatest initial success was in Can-Am, where they dominated from 1967 to 1971. Further American triumph followed, with Indianapolis 500 wins in McLaren cars for Mark Donohue in 1972 and Johnny Rutherford in 1974 and 1976.

Bruce McLaren died (aged 32) when his Can-Am car crashed on the Lavant Straight just before Woodcote corner at Goodwood Circuit in England on 2 June 1970. He had been testing his new M8D when the rear bodywork came adrift at speed. The loss of aerodynamic downforce destabilized the car, which spun, left the track and hit a bunker used as a flag station.

Motorsport author Eoin Young has noted that Bruce McLaren had "virtually penned his own epitaph" in his 1964 book From the Cockpit.

Referring to the death of team mate Timmy Mayer, McLaren had written:

The news that he had died instantly was a terrible shock to all of us, but who is to say that he had not seen more, done more and learned more in his few years than many people do in a lifetime? To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone.

After Bruce McLaren died, Tim Mayer's brother, Teddy Mayer took over and led the team to their first Formula One constructors' championship in 1974, with Emerson Fittipaldi and James Hunt winning the drivers' championship in 1974 and 1976 respectively. Anyone who has followed F1 is aware of what a powerhouse Mclaren subsequently became - Sadly, McLaren himself wasn't able to witness the success of his talents and labor.
Attached Images

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964253
ErikMotoMan is offline   Reply With Quote