Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2014, 04:07 PM   #106
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Sorry no bike or touristy photos today, as Leanne needed to recover from her long flight we stayed in Alenquer, a town about 30 kms from Lisbon, where Carlos and Catarina live. We walked around the hills and the little town before meeting Catarina for lunch at 2.00pm.

We had a delightful lunch with her that started with fine food and Portugese wine.

As the afternoon developed more wine was drunk before I decided that we should try the port

Somehow from there a pack of cards was produced and we ended up playing cards with the owner of the bar and one of the locals. In hindsight maybe we should have stopped around 6.00pm when the Muscatel came out!

A top day meeting locals, trying local wine and port etc.

Tomorrow we will go to Lisbon.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.
H Jackson Brown
young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:38 AM   #107
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post
getting to the good stuff Mike!

Are you staying with the couple we met at your place or are they still travelling?
You met Jose and Pilar at our place, a Spanish couple who returned home to Spain approx 4 weeks ago.

In Lisbon we are with Carlos and Catarina, a link to Carlos' motorcycle business is http://www.motoxplorers.com

They are an awesome couple :-)
Old 05-19-2014, 12:40 PM   #108
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

We rode into Lisbon this morning and left KT outside Motoxplorers shop and grabbed a taxi further into town.

There is a wonderful tram circuit that winds its way up and down quite steep hills and around tight corners. A feature of the city, long may it remain. Tram 28 is well known by the tourists due to the torturous route it takes. We walked part of the route to beat the crowds and got the tram at the top. When we got to the end of the line we were hopelessly lost...

Here is one of the trams near the city centre

Lisbon will shortly host the champions (?) league final and there is lots happening around the city to promote it. Here is Leanne in the Praca do Comercio, the sea is right behind me. You can see the blue advertising etc behind her

We then experienced busy motorway traffic for the 30km ride back to our base
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds. Explore. Dream. Discover.
H Jackson Brown
Old 05-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #109
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Today we explored the town of Sintra. A beautiful little town on the outskirts of Lisbon. The town has many royal retreats, castles and old buildings.

The highlight for us was the Moorish castle that is sits high above the town, it dates from the 8th to 9th centuries. It was a nice walk up there from the town.

This is the view of Sintra from the castle

Leanne high up

We have changed our plan slightly, we will now stay in Lisbon one extra day and then go direct to Seville on Thursday. Also we will now have Saturday night in Tarifa and get the early morning ferry to Morocco on Sunday and then have our first night in Fez.
H Jackson Brown
Old 05-21-2014, 02:42 AM   #110
Micawberism
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Ahh the life style of the unemployed
When I grow up I want to be you
Micawberism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:21 AM   #111
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micawberism View Post
Ahh the life style of the unemployed
When I grow up I want to be you
You grow up Colin? Never :-)
Old 05-21-2014, 02:51 PM   #112
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

The Adventure is about to continue

Tomorrow we will leave Portugal with a touch of sadness. We have seen some beautiful sites etc but what will forever be in our memory is the friendliness of the Portugese people. Outstanding!

While we will be saying goodbye we both know that we will be back one day.

We particularly want to thank Carlos and Catarina for their amazing hospitality and generosity. We have also been lucky to meet Carlos' business partners in their moto xplorers business, a top group of people. If any of you are planning a trip and need a bike, a tour organised etc I thoroughly recommend them (their website is http://www.motoxplorers.com )

Today has been my birthday and we went to one of the local cafés for tea and met more of the locals. As you can see we were introduced to snails (yes mum I did try one!)

So back on the bike tomorrow with a big day to Seville, here is hoping we can get Leanne's gear stashed away.
H Jackson Brown

young1 screwed with this post 05-21-2014 at 03:09 PM
Old 05-22-2014, 01:37 AM   #113
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,837
Thank you very much for the nice words, Mike! We are sorry we couldn't find some more time to show you a bit more of Portugal. It was very special knowing you guys. I am sure of two things: you're going to love Morocco and we'll meet again!

Mike and Leanne saying goodbye to the furred friends:

Final check of the luggage (they are quite light, considering they're two up with full camping gear, hey?!):

And they're ready!

Sun is shining, temp is right and Africa is waiting. Off they go!

Be safe!

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #114
nunoajc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Have a Nice trip. Im glad you enjoy our country.
Ride safe
nunoajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #115
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Greetings from Seville

Thank you Carlos for posting the pictures (when I packed the bags etc this morning I have a feeling that, not that I will admit this to Leanne, I have more stuff than her...)

Nunoajc, thank you also for keeping a distant "eye" on us.

Before I give a brief summary of today's ride, one thing that I found strange in Portugal was the sensor lights in the bathrooms / toilets. They seem to be set to go off if there is no movement for approx 10 seconds. How, when you are standing at a urinal, do you keep moving to keep the lights on?

Carlos suggested an excellent route for us that for most of the day kept us away from toll roads and motorways. The highlight was the town of Serpa where we stopped for lunch. This is the view coming into the town

It is lucky that the panniers aren't any wider otherwise we may not have fitted through the gate of the old town

We also saw fields full of Sunflowers, beautiful.

Our last night in Portugal involved some fine port, our first night in Seville has included Sangria :-)

Tomorrow KT will stay parked and we will explore Seville and hopefully take in some Flamenco dancing tomorrow night (I wonder if I can encourage Leanne to try it!)
H Jackson Brown
Old 05-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #116
MKJ
Married w/ Children

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikMotoMan View Post
The company founded in 1963 by McLaren is best known as a Formula One constructor but has also competed and won in the Indianapolis 500 and Canadian-American Challenge Cup (Can-Am). The team is the second oldest active team (after Ferrari) and one of the most successful teams in Formula One, having won 182 races, 12 drivers' championships and 8 constructors' championships.

The team won its first Grand Prix at the 1968 Belgian Grand Prix but their greatest initial success was in Can-Am, where they dominated from 1967 to 1971. Further American triumph followed, with Indianapolis 500 wins in McLaren cars for Mark Donohue in 1972 and Johnny Rutherford in 1974 and 1976.

Bruce McLaren died (aged 32) when his Can-Am car crashed on the Lavant Straight just before Woodcote corner at Goodwood Circuit in England on 2 June 1970. He had been testing his new M8D when the rear bodywork came adrift at speed. The loss of aerodynamic downforce destabilized the car, which spun, left the track and hit a bunker used as a flag station.

Motorsport author Eoin Young has noted that Bruce McLaren had "virtually penned his own epitaph" in his 1964 book From the Cockpit.

Referring to the death of team mate Timmy Mayer, McLaren had written:

The news that he had died instantly was a terrible shock to all of us, but who is to say that he had not seen more, done more and learned more in his few years than many people do in a lifetime? To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone.

After Bruce McLaren died, Tim Mayer's brother, Teddy Mayer took over and led the team to their first Formula One constructors' championship in 1974, with Emerson Fittipaldi and James Hunt winning the drivers' championship in 1974 and 1976 respectively. Anyone who has followed F1 is aware of what a powerhouse Mclaren subsequently became - Sadly, McLaren himself wasn't able to witness the success of his talents and labor.

More famous than Hilary? hmmmmmm.................
MKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #117
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKJ View Post
More famous than Hilary? hmmmmmm.................
You are right there is no comparison (Sir Edmund Hillary along with Sherpa Tenzing were the first to climb Mt Everest). Hillary then went on to do so much more, other expeditions (including to the South Pole) and a lifetime of work helping the Sherpa people.

young1 screwed with this post 05-23-2014 at 09:29 AM
Old 05-23-2014, 01:36 PM   #118
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

We like Seville

Thus is a beautiful city with the parks, river, monuments, fountains and churches. On top of that every second shop appears tp be a tapas bar (very hard to walk past!). I bet that when the Spanish have something to celebrate (like the last football World Cup) that this place would really go off. It would be great to experience that.

Today we did the hop on / hop off tourist bus thing, most enjoyable. Life is obviously more than motorbikes, bars and gorgeous women (Spain has them all) there is also the culture, we took some in at the art museum. Here is my resident art expert......

(Can any of you name that work from the 16th century?)

In the centre of the city is the enormous Seville Cathedral, construction started in 1402 and was completed over 100 years later (see I do listen mum!). It is so big that photos (well mine at least) don't do it justice.

Leanne got "caught" today by a woman wanting to give her a piece of Rosemary and bless her etc, I of course pretended not to understand and kept walking. After Leanne was blessed there was of course a discussion about money ha ha

Tomorrow we head to Tarifa, first stop will be to buy our ferry tickets to Morocco, EXCITING!
H Jackson Brown
Old 05-23-2014, 05:54 PM   #119
Ajoy0000
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Laugh Loving your trip

We hope to follow in your footsteps next summer, are you playing by ear for lodging or have you reserved spots in Venice and Rome?
Keep living the dream!!
Ajoy0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:36 PM   #120
young1 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajoy0000 View Post
We hope to follow in your footsteps next summer, are you playing by ear for lodging or have you reserved spots in Venice and Rome?
Keep living the dream!!
We are using www.airbnb.com, so far all the places I have stayed have been good. It is much nicer staying with locals verses a hotel. We are booking a couple of days out, although for Rome we have already booked as we know we have to be there on a certain date (for Leanne to fly home) and wanted somewhere special because of that.