User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
wilson234 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Jetting R1100R or any BMW

I'm new to the BMW, but not to motorcycles. I'm trying to get rid of some popping on decel and overall running lean on my R1100R 1995. Its got a BMP or Baxter Metal Products exhaust, which is either a full system or half, but completetly removes the big BMW stock exhaust. Anyone know if this Company is still in business, I had a number but now its discontinued.... The prior owner give me two things, which he mentioned should get rid of the lean condition. One: A small white plastic square relay looking item that says BMW on it. I believe you swap this out with an existing one and it opens another fuel mapping. WHERE AND WHICH ONE, there's a few in the fuse box section.

The second item looks like a seperate chip, it's got its own plastic covering and has female receptical to accept a plug, and a clip to mount on an inch circular tubing, which I would assume would be somewhere on the subframe. I HAVE NO CLUE WHERE THIS GOES, and my local bmw dealer does not either. I will attach a picture if no one knows and it would help figure this out.

Overall, I guess, what do BMW bikes require to rejet? I'm used to Powercommanders...................

THANKS.........
wilson234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 08:24 AM   #2
bluesman77
bluesman77

Oddometer: 1
I got rid of my backfiring...............

I ran into a similar situation with my 2001 R1100RL whne I installed a Two Brothers Racing slip-on. I tried a myriad of things, but never got the backfiring to go away until I removed the CCP (catalytic code plug) and increased the TPS voltage to .400 volt and turned the large brass by-pass screws out about a ¼ turn.

You can find good instructions for adjusting the TPS here:

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/zero528.shtml

steps 3 thru 5

http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/R11Manual/Oilhead_Maintenance_2-25-02.pdf

page 66 step 4

It sounds complicated initially, but if you have a digital multimeter and some telephone wire to use as a jumper – it’s very easy. The screws that hold the adjustment are a Torx, as I recall, and not really an Allen head.

Hope this helps!

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson234
I'm new to the BMW, but not to motorcycles. I'm trying to get rid of some popping on decel and overall running lean on my R1100R 1995. Its got a BMP or Baxter Metal Products exhaust, which is either a full system or half, but completetly removes the big BMW stock exhaust. Anyone know if this Company is still in business, I had a number but now its discontinued.... The prior owner give me two things, which he mentioned should get rid of the lean condition. One: A small white plastic square relay looking item that says BMW on it. I believe you swap this out with an existing one and it opens another fuel mapping. WHERE AND WHICH ONE, there's a few in the fuse box section.

The second item looks like a seperate chip, it's got its own plastic covering and has female receptical to accept a plug, and a clip to mount on an inch circular tubing, which I would assume would be somewhere on the subframe. I HAVE NO CLUE WHERE THIS GOES, and my local bmw dealer does not either. I will attach a picture if no one knows and it would help figure this out.

Overall, I guess, what do BMW bikes require to rejet? I'm used to Powercommanders...................

THANKS.........
bluesman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:42 AM   #3
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,370
Quote:

THANKS.........
You hit it already with the jumpers (CCP, Cat Code Plug). Different colors cause the computer to give different mapping profiles. Some advocate the removal of the CCP plug(jumpers) and say it runs less lean. It does, but now the system is in a default loop, so mileage suffers, and emmisions increase.

Others say a Techlusion will solve the problem.

I advocate a very carefull valve adjust and TB sync to solve the majority of the problem. Some slight "afterfire" is normal, and not a problem.

Obviously, with a fuel injected bike, you cannot actually "rejet" it.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,047
Quote:
This device is called an idle CO potentiometer. It is used in a non-catalyst equipped system to replace the function of the oxygen sensor, by tuning in a starting point for the "mixture." You need to plug this device into the wiring harness (I think at the location where the fuel tank breather solenoid plugs in....there's a tab sticking off the frame under the left or right side panel), then use a gas analyzer to tune the idle mixture to 1.5-2.0%.

You may need to go richer. My wife's Ducati specified idle CO settings of SIX percent!!

Jon
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 02:23 PM   #5
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz
This device is called an idle CO potentiometer. It is used in a non-catalyst equipped system to replace the function of the oxygen sensor, by tuning in a starting point for the "mixture." You need to plug this device into the wiring harness (I think at the location where the fuel tank breather solenoid plugs in....there's a tab sticking off the frame under the left or right side panel), then use a gas analyzer to tune the idle mixture to 1.5-2.0%.

You may need to go richer. My wife's Ducati specified idle CO settings of SIX percent!!

Jon
A) the idle CO pot has NO effect except at an actual idle.

B) CO readings have to be done WITHOUT a cat, or they are meaningless.

C) running open loop WITH a cat is bad news, you'll foul the cat if you're running rich.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:28 PM   #6
advsurfer
GSAdv_n_Ural Addict

Oddometer: 329
ever since i removed the cat, my bike has some backfire. once in a while, i haven't figured it out yet but, i do something that triggers a louder explosion. i like it. sounds kewl.
advsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:41 PM   #7
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by advsurfer
ever since i removed the cat, my bike has some backfire. once in a while, i haven't figured it out yet but, i do something that triggers a louder explosion. i like it. sounds kewl.
probably an air leak in the exhaust.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:26 PM   #8
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
A) the idle CO pot has NO effect except at an actual idle.

B) CO readings have to be done WITHOUT a cat, or they are meaningless.
Can't say about these.

Quote:
C) running open loop WITH a cat is bad news, you'll foul the cat if you're running rich.
Never heard of a single person fouling a cat with the CCP plug pulled, ever, on many many bikes.

The BMW Catalitic Converter is nearly impossible to foul due to its design. Unlike a car, it is not loaded with pellets, It has a corrigated interior like a cardboard box, and simply wont foul.

It also runs MUCH cooler than a car, and wont hurt the trans with excess heat. Run your bike hard, then put a piece of paper on top of the cat. Nothing will happen. On a car it will burst into flames. Big difference.

Jim
Old 11-15-2005, 09:36 PM   #9
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Never heard of a single person fouling a cat with the CCP plug pulled, ever, on many many bikes.

The BMW Catalitic Converter is nearly impossible to foul due to its design. Unlike a car, it is not loaded with pellets, It has a corrigated interior like a cardboard box, and simply wont foul.
that sounds like the converter that was on my 89 Jetta GLI 16v. was like a honeycomb inside.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:30 PM   #10
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce
that sounds like the converter that was on my 89 Jetta GLI 16v. was like a honeycomb inside.
Probably very similar.

Jim

PS If you want to lose weight on the bike, cut open the converterand remove the catalist. It will save you about 10 pounds, and no one will know.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:46 PM   #11
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,374
The threat to the converter is not fouling exactly, it is melting. Excess fuel will make it run hot enough to melt the catalytic substrate. The GS cat can run plenty hot. On the dyno with copious high speed airflow I saw 750 degrees F with mine. I have heard of the cats getting hot enough to glow if left idling too long.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:52 PM   #12
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescentbrown
The threat to the converter is not fouling exactly, it is melting. Excess fuel will make it run hot enough to melt the catalytic substrate. The GS cat can run plenty hot. On the dyno with copious high speed airflow I saw 750 degrees F with mine. I have heard of the cats getting hot enough to glow if left idling too long.
Never heard of one melting either. Then again, I don't know everything like some others.

Jim
Old 11-15-2005, 11:24 PM   #13
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
Never heard of one melting either. Then again, I don't know everything like some others.

Jim
The guts of the cat can melt. On cars the threat is that the carpeting inside the car can catch on fire. Not much of a threat on a bike but if the substrate collapses, it can restrict the exhaust flow. To tune the bike to run best for emissions results in an approximate deficit in power and economy of about 5 percent. The whole point being to be careful. The folks who admonish you, Jim, do so because of practical experience not apocryphal knowledge.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:19 AM   #14
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescentbrown
The guts of the cat can melt. On cars the threat is that the carpeting inside the car can catch on fire. Not much of a threat on a bike but if the substrate collapses, it can restrict the exhaust flow. To tune the bike to run best for emissions results in an approximate deficit in power and economy of about 5 percent. The whole point being to be careful. The folks who admonish you, Jim, do so because of practical experience not apocryphal knowledge.
So you've actually seen BMW MOTORCYCLE cats melt? I would love to see pictures of that. Have you seen the inside of a BMW motorcycle cat? I don't see how it could melt without a blowtorch, they just don't get over the 2000 degrees necessary to melt them like the cats on a car do.

I am not worried about those that "admonish" me, as most of them haven't a clue what they are talking about.

Jim