Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
Kuma OP
Who's Ya China!!

Oddometer: 220
Eek (Cold+Rain+Dirt+Dark)*Inexperience=????

Well I guess you have done the math and come up with the right answer... yes this post is equally at home in ride report as it is in face plant. However giving that the ride was completed and I am in one piece with just some bruising I will post here in Ride Report.

I also note that you guys love photos... unfortunately there are not many... and right now I don't have the USB cable to upload the images from the camera.

I should get the images and the rest of the report up in the next few hours.

Where did it all start.... way back in July I went out to Rosehill Racecourse to attend Country Week. This is an annual event when Councils from around rural New South Wales come together to try and get city folk, looking for a "Tree" or "Sea" Change to move to their part of the world.

One small town, Boorowa, were very proactive and professional in their approach. Anyway a couple of weeks later I recieved an invitation to visit their town for their open weekend. Potential movers would be shown around the town, shown real estate, facilities etc.

I thought it would be a good excuse to put some more k's on the GS and so I rang the Boorowa Pub, booked a room for 2 nights. Threw a change of clothes in the bag and rode off on an overcast Friday in Sydney.

I was very confident of 0 rain - hey this is Australia - it doesn't rain here - ever!!

And headed off... almost ATGATT (wearing heavy duty moleskin jeans). Well I zooming down the Great Western Hwy and passed the western suburb of Parramatta and it strange water droplets began to fall from the sky I was confused - I have not experienced this stuff for a long time and it was so little it took me some time to compute what it was.

The rain was light and having zero impact on the ride so I rode on. Up into the Blue Mountains. It continued to spit and continued to get colder... temp. was not going to be a problem... if required I could put liners in the gloves, crank on the heaters and put on a jumper (err sweater).

I hit Blackheath near the top of the Blue Mountains (err big hills) needing fuel and beginning to feel the cold, so I stopped for lunch, fuel and prepared myself for the colder part of the trip. Big Hot Coffee, hot food and time to move on.

Now along the way I had set the GPS to take me the scenic route... where the twisties are... and the more enjoyable quieter roads....

I hit my turn off mark, stopped and considered my options... the rain was a little heavier... but still of no real consequence... the cold was seeping in but again no real problem... hmm the adventurous path or the hwy.

The AdvRider in me took over... lets go the interesting way... and so I rode off into the unknown.

about 50ks down the road the rain began to come down harder... misty patches began to appear... but I pushed on... I don't really recall how far it was before it was raining proper, my legs were cold, wet, numb (dam I wished I had the riding pants on now) and the water was running down my legs into the tops of my boots... I stopped to stretch and the water flooded into my boots... now my feet were soaked... as were my legs... upper body no problem.

It was just after this that my helmet began to have fogging problems... so it was up with the visor.. but the rain was resting on my glasses... (and given that my sight aint that bad I took the glasses off). Now visibility was much better... and I pushed on...

and then I hit Dirt "What the ....." there wasn't meant to be any dirt on this...

Now I know many of you love this shit... but it terrorfies me... so I slowed right down between 20-40km/h and just worked my way along the road carefully.

The first dirt came and went and then the sunset... I was happy to be on the black stuff... but I was turning into an icecube
and I wanted to get to the pub, the log fire, a warm coffee laced with some of the finest Irish Whiskey in the pub.

I continued on... I then came to my next problem... another turn off... which I knew would lead to more dirt... or the sealed stuff - the pro's for the dirt 40kms shorter trip + experience which I desperatly seek....(and there cant be that much dirt and I just negotiated some tough stuff before.. I can do this)
so I cater to the self development/adventure side (should I make it the completely bloody stupid side). And I head down the dirt. Again taking it carefully and slowly. Off to the side for some distance a mob of Roo's bounded beside me... which made me even more cautious... and then it happened...
(Cold+Rain+Dirt+Dark)*Inexperience=High Side+ Muddy Face Plant.

I'm not exactly sure what happpend - I topped a crest and began down the other side... all of a suddent the bike moved off centre.. I lost it and I went flying off the bike....

I came around and couldnt see a thing... nada... zip... the world was black to me...
I thought oh it is just a muddy visor.. but on a series of successive wipes my vision was still black... I began to panic.. Shit Im Blind!!!

Everything else was ok.. toes.. fingers.. no real pain... nothing broken... just blind...
I flipped the visor and vision came flooding back... somehow the mud had coated the inside of the visor...

I went to the bike and with the adrenaline flowing picked it up no probs...

I surveyed the damage... in the night light I could see crash bars were bent, engine protection covers destroyed or broken, left indicator and driving light smashed... but the bike started and everything else seemed ok.. my knees were now beginning to ache.. I mounted up and rode off... very tentatively... to see if the bike was indeed any worse for wear...

I hit the sealed section.. the bike felt good and opened it up a bit... mud was flying of the wheels giving the bike some real credability... (pity about the rider)...

I hit one more patch of dirt (which was by far the worst) this was red clay with the water pooling on top... and the std tyres that came with the GS was not liking this surface at all... I did manage to get through it though and soon found myself, wet, cold and muddy at the Boorowa Hotel.. I checked in.. was shown to my room and headed for the showers....
after a long hot shower I headed back to my room...
where there was no heater... but I was too tired to care...
I hit the sack and fell asleep.. (no irish coffee or dinner for me tonight).
the cold seeped into the room about 3am and from then I froze until dawn...

I'll get the conclusion up and some photos ASAP.

cheers to you all..

Kuma screwed with this post 09-19-2005 at 05:45 PM
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:15 PM   #2
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,429
Crickey kuma - hope all is ok mate - Im trying to figure where the dirt started - easy to say the best way to ride the pigs on dirt is to get on the pegs and accelerate - easy after te fact though it does work - hope the bike is repaired soon.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
Mz660
Rydethere

Oddometer: 333
Hurry Up With Them Pic's!

But great report.
Mz660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
Kuma OP
Who's Ya China!!

Here she is ... ready for the ride

and the wet wet road

I wasn't going to post this shot... but it shows the before

and the after

a dirty GS is a good thing (pity this photo doesn't do it justice)

and the muddy Staintune - does the bike have cred now?

Kuma screwed with this post 10-02-2005 at 10:51 PM
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:25 PM   #5
jfr
yellowwheels

Oddometer: 200
"...does the bike have cred now?"

You both get cred in my book! You never know if the pavement route would have turned out better so don't take any crap for taking the advrider path.

As for "...does the bike have cred now?" I urge you to submit your b4/ after pics to Nachtflug on the "GS's that suck" thread under GSpot. He is quite opinionated and will tell you in his complete flugness whether or not it "sucks". Its a gr8 thread and very funny!

Keep up the practice on the gravel/dirt. It grows on you!
1977 Suzuki GT750 "Water Buffalo" (Sold)
jfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:31 PM   #6
Kuma OP
Who's Ya China!!

Yep.. I posted a pre enhanced GS image on that thread.. Nacht gave 'er the thumbs up....

I guess its time for a revision.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
slowbike smallpenis
Tester of Tooheys Old

Oddometer: 19,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma
Yep.. I posted a pre enhanced GS image on that thread.. Nacht gave 'er the thumbs up....

I guess its time for a revision.
You did well Kuma - cant have been easy plus the bike looks like its an easy repair - best you hook up with some of us old blokes from the BMW NSW Touring Club and do some group rides

BTW - I just noticed, are those the Michie 66's on the bike?
Old 09-19-2005, 10:37 PM   #8
Kuma OP
Who's Ya China!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbike smallpenis
You did well Kuma - cant have been easy plus the bike looks like its an easy repair - best you hook up with some of us old blokes from the BMW NSW Touring Club and do some group rides

BTW - I just noticed, are those the Michie 66's on the bike?
You know - I have to be honest and I don't know what tyres are on it...
They are the bulk std rubber that came with it.

still has plenty of tread on them...

as for repairs - about $5000 worth...
I am waiting to see the quote. (but she is twisted front and back, the beak is all scratched up).
Old 09-20-2005, 06:37 PM   #9
Kuma OP
Who's Ya China!!

Heres the map
Old 09-21-2005, 08:59 PM   #10
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Dirt at night is not a good thing - soft sand and hard clay look the same at night ... but the ridin is totally different.

Aim to finish ridin dirt by 4 pm and don't start till 7 am and you'll be better off.

Nice route. There is a back road beteen Bathurst and Lithgow - bit of dirt - windy and twist - little sight line so slow going but much better than that tar stuff (the route is a bit south of the tar).
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 10:07 PM   #11
Oly
Deadlines whooshing by

Oddometer: 8,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuma
Everything else was ok.. toes.. fingers.. no real pain... nothing broken... just blind...
I flipped the visor and vision came flooding back... somehow the mud had coated the inside of the visor...

I went to the bike and with the adrenaline flowing picked it up no probs...

cheers to you all..

Great visual (or lack thereof) LMAO.

Glad you made it OK and thanks for sharing.
Oly is offline   Reply With Quote