User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,543
Spit out a bolt.

I went down to the tech day in Denver today, met some nice folks, got my carbs all sync'd up and learned a bit more about airheads. I almost made it all the way home when my bike decided it wanted to start sounding like a cross between a VW bug and a KLR. Is was still running great except for some popping on deceleration, lost no compression, and seems fine except for this noise that from the seat sounds like a big exhaust leak. I pulled over to investigate and found that it spit out the bolt that used to fill this hole. I walked up and down the highway for a bit to try and find the bolt but had no luck...
Limped the bike home carefully the last few miles making certain not to stir up any dust or debris that could get in there. Is this a special bolt of some kind or can I just pick on up at a hardware store and call it good?

neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:32 PM   #2
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
It's an oilhead sump drain bolt. Anti-seize, aluminum crush washer and 22ftlbs and they never come out. Same deal minus the anti-seize when they are plugging a sump! Do not use red loctite. First off, there is no need for it. Secondly, you might want to take it back out.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

I pulled the bolt bolt out of the other side, looks like a drain plug of the same size would fill the void.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #4
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
It's an oilhead sump drain bolt. Anti-seize, aluminum crush washer and 22ftlbs and they never come out. Same deal minus the anti-seize when they are plugging a sump! Do not use red loctite. First off, there is no need for it. Secondly, you might want to take it back out.
Ahh, thanks. I'll see if I get lucky at a Napa store or something...
Old 04-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #5
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk View Post
Ahh, thanks. I'll see if I get lucky at a Napa store or something...
BMW dealerships sell THE best metric fasteners.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:06 PM   #6
ysrebob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
M16 x 1.5mm drain bolt, good auto parts store should have. Matching crush washer is 16x20mm I think.
ysrebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 07:09 PM   #7
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysrebob View Post
M16 x 1.5mm drain bolt, good auto parts store should have. Matching crush washer is 16x20mm I think.
Thanks for the detail. I should be able to find one tomorrow. The closest BMW dealership is 100 miles away from where I live.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #8
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,359
Where's that hole, and can I have one too? I can't even see where I have to drill and tap to fit one.
motu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:25 AM   #9
Warin
Retired

Oddometer: 1,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
Where's that hole, and can I have one too? I can't even see where I have to drill and tap to fit one.
.. It is for 'anti smog' .. some sort of 'clean air' thing... most people spend money removing the fittings ... and then plugging the hole. (it is only in the exhaust tract)

Neepuk- internet + mail order is your friend. Get your self the regular maintenance things + ware items - cables, brake pads and some gaskets for oil replacements oh and of course the oil filter and air filter. You may find them as a 'kit' - can be cheaper that way.
Warin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:25 AM   #10
FrankR80GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
SLS-Connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by neepuk View Post
...when my bike decided it wanted to start sounding like a cross between a VW bug and a KLR. Is was still running great except for some popping on deceleration, lost no compression, and seems fine except for this noise that from the seat sounds like a big exhaust leak. ...

Hi, originally the SLS-system plugs in this hole. SLS is short for Sekundary air (Luft) System, which (feeds back exhaust gases into fresh air) that was rubbish, it feeds fresh air to the exhaust to lower CO and HC emissions. Maybe in the US the GS wasn't equipped with that.

FrankR80GS screwed with this post 04-20-2014 at 04:46 AM
FrankR80GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:37 AM   #11
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
My 81 R100RT spit one of those out years ago but sadly it took the threads with it. Had a machinist make new bolts with heavier threads and loctited them in. Still holding and I see no reason to ever remove them.
Good luck
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:51 AM   #12
CptImagine
NCC-1701-B

Oddometer: 130
I've fixed too many of these things . In my expierence, it seems the rustier ones go away, especially after the bike sat a long time . ie. years of storage . Glue hell out of it, mainly for a seal . The heat there is high enough to burn off any thread locker . Before installing the allen head plug, drill a 1/16" hole into the wrench recess . SS safety wire around the exhaust spigot will keep them in place .
CptImagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:56 AM   #13
FrankR80GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100RT View Post
My 81 R100RT spit one of those ....
Good luck
Well, acc. to BMW http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/de/i...1599&notrack=1 the SLS was introduced 1990. If your 81 already had heads with the SLS bores in, these heads are most likely not stock equipment.
FrankR80GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:14 AM   #14
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankR80GS View Post
Well, acc. to BMW http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/de/i...1599&notrack=1 the SLS was introduced 1990. If your 81 already had heads with the SLS bores in, these heads are most likely not stock equipment.
Sorry but your mistaken. The system was introduced during the 11-79 build dates.
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:57 AM   #15
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankR80GS View Post
Well, acc. to BMW http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/de/i...1599&notrack=1 the SLS was introduced 1990.
I believe what they are saying there is that it was used on all models from that time forward, rather than just the US models. I seem to remember Euro GSes that I have borrowed having SLS.