Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
RegiBaker OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Smoking Left Cylinder 74 R90/6

Hi Folks,
I developed a problem last fall with the felt exhaust pipe (kick stand side) smoking heavily after the bike sat for any time. What could be the problem? After it warms up the smoking stops. Thanks for the help.

Regi
RegiBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,966
Common complaint. Park on the center stand if you can and if you are parked for any longer length of time.

If you have a worn out engine with worn rings it is worse.

There is one technique that may help. When you park, stop with the bike straight up at first, then lean bike to the right for about 20 or 30 seconds, then you can put bike on side stand. This gets most of the oil over to the right side to start and when it's put on stand the oil just drains into sump. Try it.

Edit; I think I was not clear enough. Somebody wrote me that leaning the bike to the right won't help the smoking problem if the engine is still running. I guess that is so. If it's not plain enough let me state, Turn the engine off and then lean bike to the right. Works for most.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341

disston screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 02:51 PM
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
dvblue_2000
Probationary

Oddometer: 72
My R60/6 did that when it was new, mainly after parking on the side stand. I have an R60/7 now and it does it now and then, but using the center stand and leaning it to the right or keeping it upright for about a minute after shut-down helps. It's embarrassing when it shoots out a big cloud of smoke when I start it, kind of what you'd see from a clown car.

dvblue_2000 screwed with this post 04-21-2014 at 04:43 PM
dvblue_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:53 PM   #4
Overdog
'Burghherfer.....

Oddometer: 229
Sidestand with enough lean angle = smoke. My R90 did it, my Goldwing does it..
Overdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 7,966
BTW, Welcome.

Just noticed new member first post after lurking for almost a year and a half.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:25 AM   #6
RegiBaker OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the replies. That makes me feel better. I had thoughts of valve seals and what have you. Name:  67027_311886648940468_424732689_n[1].jpg
Views: 143
Size:  50.6 KB
RegiBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:34 AM   #7
Kanticoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegiBaker View Post
Thanks for the replies. That makes me feel better. I had thoughts of valve seals and what have you. Attachment 317034

Beautiful bike Regi.

You have worse problems than you first thought if you have bad valve seals in your bike!

Ours don't have them.
Kanticoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #8
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,144
replace your sparkplugs with fresh NGK BP6ES... ride.
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #9
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,001
Mine has done the smoke thing since new when I park it on the sidestand (unless I think to do the lean-it-over-to-the-right trick). It's part of the charm of the old bikes-- I look at it as a Baron von Richthofen thing, like the WWI and WWII used to smoke and belch on engine light-up.

Doesn't seem to increase carbon buildup in the left cylinder, so I've not worried about it...

--Bill
Old 04-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,006
I completely disagree with BH about using the side stand and carbon buildup.

There are a number of BMW enthusiasts that think BMW boxers should not even have side stands on them for them fowling the engine. I am one of them. I have taken apart and overhauled a LOT of airheads. I see carbon buildup on the left cylinder from using the side stand ALL the time. Working at BMW dealerships I have seen a number of boxers taken apart for rebuilds because they had compression tests after the bikes had been on the side stand. Side stands really throw off compression tests. It takes a surprising lot of miles to clear a cylinder up after it has been on the side stand. Most engines never do and have way more carbon build up on the left cylinder. Granted, the models that have the crank breather favoring the right cylinder evens up the mess to a large degree but . . . . And then the later models that have the setup that is SUPPOSE to distribute the crank case fumes to each cylinder don't and highly favor the left cylinder. A lose/lose situation! All because the right cylinder's breather tube rises up about a half inch higher than the left cylinder's breather tube. Shit doesn't go up hill. Most engines suffer more wear on the right cylinder for that cylinder starting dry most all the time. I have measured tons of cylinders that have worn more on the right cylinder for the side stands. One cylinder is started up too wet and the other cylinder is started up too dry. It's not good. The crank case breather setup isn't either but why add insult to injury? By the way, I also highly recommend modifying the crankcase breather setups. Most here do it because they have eliminated the airbox usually for 'looks' and are pretty much forced to do something with the setup. I modified my crankcase breather system with the airbox for performance and engine longevity. The engine runs a lot cleaner without having to try and burn all that crap.

supershaft screwed with this post 04-23-2014 at 04:58 PM
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #11
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,001
Gotcha.