Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
CaptMako OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
How to Remove Right Perch and Heated Grips

Clymer not helpful on removing perch or heated grips. Anyone have a primer
on removing the perch and the heated grips? Thanks in-advance for all input.
CaptMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #2
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,805
Glad you found Old Skool, Mako. These folks are gonna want to know what model, year, etc.

You will now benefit from a spectrum of advice

Welcome to Old Skool
Old 04-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
CaptMako OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
Glad you found Old Skool, Mako. These folks are gonna want to know what model, year, etc.

You will now benefit from a spectrum of advice

Welcome to Old Skool
Yes sir, Mugwest. Should have added that my bike is a naked 1986 R80.
I do appreciate the help Mugwest and happy to be Old Skool. Cheers.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
Pokie
Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer: 774
Heated grips are nice to ride with on a cold day but not so nice to have to take off.

The wire for the grip runs down the inside of the grip and handle bar. you need to trace the wire and find where it plugs into the system. Each grip has two wires (inside a single loom) one for power and one for ground. When you find where the wires connect to the system, it will terminate with a plug (either white or black).

Being very careful, you will have to remove the wire ends from that plug (usually using something like an ice pick or a really small screw driver). Once the wire ends have been freed from the plug, you can drag the loom back through the handle bar, slip the grip off and also the perch.

To get the wire back through the handle bar, using an air hose and length of string, blow air into the handle bar while feeding in the string. Once the string comes out the hole in the handle bars, stop blowing, attach the wire to the string and pull it through.
Pokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
Beemerguru
Beemerguru...G/S guy

Oddometer: 894
The throttle grip will slide off but the left side has either 1 or 2 screws holding it in place. Roll back the grip far enough to take out the self threading screws..don't lose them.

Perches can be romoved with the cable attached by loosening the 4 13mm nuts under the top triple plate and sliding the handlebar from side to side as you slide the perch off. You should be fine with high handle bars but if you have low bars, you may need to remove the clutch cable at the tranny to get enough room. Also cut all the tie wraps on the handle bar.

PITA really...so why are you doing this? Changing bars or one of the grips not working?
Beemerguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
CaptMako OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguru View Post
The throttle grip will slide off but the left side has either 1 or 2 screws holding it in place. Roll back the grip far enough to take out the self threading screws..don't lose them.

Perches can be romoved with the cable attached by loosening the 4 13mm nuts under the top triple plate and sliding the handlebar from side to side as you slide the perch off. You should be fine with high handle bars but if you have low bars, you may need to remove the clutch cable at the tranny to get enough room. Also cut all the tie wraps on the handle bar.

PITA really...so why are you doing this? Changing bars or one of the grips not working?
Master Cylinder beyond rebuilding unfortunately. Consequently, bought new perch with new m/c installed. I have sorted out everything now except figuring out which heated grip wire is which. Got a tip to tie a thin wire to the heated grip wire to fish it back after new perch is on. Also the wire(s) I guess will have to be cut from the little plastic connection at the trailing end. Not sure how those wires terminate - appear to be the tiny
studs that fit on the wire's bitter end and pop into the connector. Peeling back the grip so far reveals no self-threading screws. Bike is '86 R80 plain.
I can agree this is a real tidious PITA. Any other hints would really be a boon. Thanks Beemerguru.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #7
CaptMako OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokie View Post
Heated grips are nice to ride with on a cold day but not so nice to have to take off.

The wire for the grip runs down the inside of the grip and handle bar. you need to trace the wire and find where it plugs into the system. Each grip has two wires (inside a single loom) one for power and one for ground. When you find where the wires connect to the system, it will terminate with a plug (either white or black).

Being very careful, you will have to remove the wire ends from that plug (usually using something like an ice pick or a really small screw driver). Once the wire ends have been freed from the plug, you can drag the loom back through the handle bar, slip the grip off and also the perch.

To get the wire back through the handle bar, using an air hose and length of string, blow air into the handle bar while feeding in the string. Once the string comes out the hole in the handle bars, stop blowing, attach the wire to the string and pull it through.
Pokie we cross posted. Ice pick sounds good vs. me cutting wires at the connection plug. Of course, now can't pry the connection plug apart.
If I get through this I'll be one happy Airheader. Having poor eyesight doesn't help either.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
Mugwest

Oddometer: 5,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMako View Post
Of course, now can't pry the connection plug apart.
If these are true-blue BMW connectors, yes, they can be tough to separate. In a sense, they're doing their job

On some of these i need to soak in spray lube (WD, PB etc) a while and then attack gently with little jeweler screwdrivers. Get the locking tabs clear and use a little muscle and they eventually come apart
Old 04-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #9
CaptMako OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwest View Post
If these are true-blue BMW connectors, yes, they can be tough to separate. In a sense, they're doing their job

On some of these i need to soak in spray lube (WD, PB etc) a while and then attack gently with little jeweler screwdrivers. Get the locking tabs clear and use a little muscle and they eventually come apart
Mugwest - thank you. Got the connector apart as you described. Pulled the heated grip and see the P/O had somehow cut the outer grip on the bottom and I never noticed it before using the throttle. The same cut through the grip also cut the small guage wires on the heated grip. Crapola. Not sure if I will buy another one or just leave the right side disconnected. Don't need them in Central Florida - well, once in a blue moon I suppose.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
globalt38
Swimmin W/Waterwings

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMako View Post
Mugwest - thank you. Got the connector apart as you described. Pulled the heated grip and see the P/O had somehow cut the outer grip on the bottom and I never noticed it before using the throttle. The same cut through the grip also cut the small guage wires on the heated grip. Crapola. Not sure if I will buy another one or just leave the right side disconnected. Don't need them in Central Florida - well, once in a blue moon I suppose.
Since you've already got the grips off and if you're "feelin froggy" you can try repairing the cut(s?) alla this "helpful" video:

"If you want to be happy for a Day, Drink. If you want to be happy for a Year, Marry. If you want to be happy for a lifetime, Ride a BMW!"
You can have my Airhead when you pry it from my cold dead fingers!
globalt38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #11
CaptMako OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Good video Globalt38. I found why my heated grips never worked. Both sides had the copper wires cut-up badly. I elected not to replace, but to remove. Put the new perch on the right bar and put everything back together. The doggone throttle cables was down right tricky. I think someone said 3 hands is the best way to do it. Well, got everything tucked back in and then saw the dreaded "wedge" sitting on the parts bin from my old perch. Soooooo, I took everything back off. Thennnnn I find the new perch does not require the "wedge"........WHAT.

OK, I bite my lip and put everything back together. Add some new DOT 4
and squeeze out the air. Everything seems good and I'll fire it up tomorrow and take it for a shake-down cruise. Thanks all for the help and tips.

Safe riding to all.