ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2014, 07:47 AM   #1
Tee2 OP
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,218
Phoenix Valley inmate question.

I might have a job transfer to Phoenix. I'll be visiting in May to check out the area to see where we would like to live.

So my question is where would you live in the valley?

My job has me traveling to hospitals in the valley and Tucson a few times a week.

Don't think hospital high paying job. It's not. $250k top for a house and would like to be well below that. Even a fixer upper.

Idea house would have the garage twice the size of the house. Kids are grown so schools don't factor in.

Probably the main when it comes to riding is my wife and I ride 2-up a lot on a 990 Adv. She hates the interstate and we have to take side roads. So I would like to live some where we could head out and get to some good riding and not take 2 hours to just to get there. She is okay on the interstate far out away from the city.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Just like any city, you've got pockets of undesirable areas mixed in all over the place. As soon as I recommend not living in a certain area because it sucks, somebody else will write in that they live there and love it. I live in the north central area and like it because I can escape the city pretty quickly to the north. Homes in my area were typically built in the mid 70's, between $100K-200K, typical 1/4 acre sized city lots (unless you get one on a cul de sac), 2,000 SF.
If you will be travelling to Tucson quite a bit, you'd probably want to look south or east (Mesa, Chandler). From those areas, you can pretty readily escape out past Apache Junction or up the 87 towards Payson for some good riding. There is also good riding out the north side of town but that puts you on the opposite side of town from Tucson. Rush hour around here starts ramping up from 3-3:30 and clears out by 6-6:30. Most surface streets during non rush hour move pretty good at 45-55mph except of course in the more congested areas.

DurtKlod screwed with this post 04-23-2014 at 10:37 AM
DurtKlod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #3
sonoran
subsonic

Oddometer: 21,518
No problem finding a house for <$250 in most parts of the valley.

North Scottsdale and Paradise Valley being the exceptions.

The further out you go from the center the less expensive housing gets.

Look around, lots to see.

the sun does not have no prisoners
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,949
I was transferred there from San Jose in 1984. Both me and my wife had never been there before. We lived there for three years and enjoyed everything Arizona has to offer. And let me add, it has a lot more to offer than any place else I have lived.

25 year later, three more transfers, wife and I split. But we both liked AZ so much that we each have homes there today! She lives in Cave Creek and I live in N. Scottsdale. I like that I can ride out of Dodge quickly and avoid congestion and busy roads. She likes her golf and road cycling.

There are lots of places to live in the valley that meet your criteria. I like Mesa and the Apache Junction areas. I like Tempe too. It is more urban, but a great location. Northwest valley is mostly pretty new, so I am not sure of the prices, but it is nice.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee2 View Post
I might have a job transfer to Phoenix. I'll be visiting in May to check out the area to see where we would like to live.

So my question is where would you live in the valley?

My job has me traveling to hospitals in the valley and Tucson a few times a week.

Don't think hospital high paying job. It's not. $250k top for a house and would like to be well below that. Even a fixer upper.

Idea house would have the garage twice the size of the house. Kids are grown so schools don't factor in.

Probably the main when it comes to riding is my wife and I ride 2-up a lot on a 990 Adv. She hates the interstate and we have to take side roads. So I would like to live some where we could head out and get to some good riding and not take 2 hours to just to get there. She is okay on the interstate far out away from the city.
I'll add a couple of things.

Anyone who hates interstates, will really hate PHX area interstates.

For reasons I don't understand, even large relatively expensive houses, frequently have small 2 car garages.

lamotovita screwed with this post 04-23-2014 at 05:32 PM
lamotovita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
Tee2 OP
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

I should mention we will have four cars/van. And enough crap to to fill a three car garage. Would like to have a oversize lot that would have room for a workshop/garage and all the vehicles.

We will be staying in Tempe with an uncle. I'm sure my wife will like that better than say out in Wittmann.

PHX can't be worse that Chicago's, can they?

Old 04-23-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
AlwaysGrowin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I would agree to stay on the south or southeast side of town.... Gilbert, Queen Creek, Chandler, San Tan Valley all have good highway access to both Phoenix and 2 options down to Tucson. Our highways are very wide and travel at 75/80 pretty regularly. Both East/Southeast and North sides of the city offer cooler temps at higher elevation within 2-3 hours ride. If you ride to work our HOV lanes will help get you there on time.
Most our side streets run 45mph and the majority of the city is based on a very simple N/S/E/W pattern. Starting at the center of the city (Central or Main I believe) - "Avenus" start at 1st Avenue and count up from Central heading West - while "Streets" start from Central and count up heading East...this will help when searching addresses on new homes. Higher the number the further from central of the city.
For 200-250 you'll find the space you're looking for I'm sure of it. Welcome to dry heat
AlwaysGrowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #8
sw3dl1
DR Don

Oddometer: 474
Take a look in Scottsdale, AZ 85254
1987 Honda XL600r
sw3dl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 06:06 AM   #9
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
I'll add a couple of things.

Anyone who hates interstates, will really hate PHX area interstates.

For reasons I don't understand, even large relatively expensive houses, frequently have small 2 car garages.
Come on Jeff, the Phoenix interstate system beats the hell out of Seattle and yes it is FAR better than Chicago, LA, San Diego, San Fran, even Portland. Then you have Tucson where to get 25 miles across town takes an hour...because the city leaders don't want no stinking interstate system.
HoosierTrailmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #10
Roknrich
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
I should mention we will have four cars/van. And enough crap to to fill a three car garage. Would like to have a oversize lot that would have room for a workshop/garage and all the vehicles.
Use the term "horse property" for searching properties with land...most subdivisions have HOA's and smaller lots. If you're going to be heading to Tuscon more than once a week, southeast side for sure...try Queen Creek, South Chandler, South Gilbert..the Chandler and Gilbert horse properties will be more $$$, you can also try San Tan Valley and Maricopa if you don't mind being on the out out skirts of the valley.

PS - visit before summer, but move in August, nothing better than unloading a moving truck in August.
Roknrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #11
Tee2 OP
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roknrich View Post
Use the term "horse property" for searching properties with land...most subdivisions have HOA's and smaller lots. If you're going to be heading to Tuscon more than once a week, southeast side for sure...try Queen Creek, South Chandler, South Gilbert..the Chandler and Gilbert horse properties will be more $$$, you can also try San Tan Valley and Maricopa if you don't mind being on the out out skirts of the valley.

PS - visit before summer, but move in August, nothing better than unloading a moving truck in August.
My boss asked me if I would be able to move in August today. This is moving faster that I thought.

Sounds like Tuscon might only be a few times a month. I have a realtor (inmate's wife) that I have been talking with. Some nice deals in Buckeye and Wittmann but that might be a little to far out.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #12
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierTrailmaster View Post
Come on Jeff, the Phoenix interstate system beats the hell out of Seattle and yes it is FAR better than Chicago, LA, San Diego, San Fran, even Portland. Then you have Tucson where to get 25 miles across town takes an hour...because the city leaders don't want no stinking interstate system.
anyone that bitches about the interstate system here needs to go back to the DC/Virginia area. Now, that is a fucked up congested mess.......
Old 04-25-2014, 08:50 AM   #13
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,949
As a veteran of 5 corporate relocations I stumbled on a few lessons about residential real estate. Don't go too far out to save price. Whatever you buy you will eventually want to sell. Try and find a property that is in the most desirable area you can afford because those areas always have buyers. The really nice thing about greater Phoenix is that there are lots of real nice areas that offer easy living. Dont go somewhere where there are few or no bids...

Pretty exciting times for you. It won't take long to get used to the summer heat. You'll always wear light cotton and find other ways to avoid high a/c all the time. You'll learn to love those warm evenings with soft air.

Quote:
My boss asked me if I would be able to move in August today. This is moving faster that I thought.

Sounds like Tuscon might only be a few times a month. I have a realtor (inmate's wife) that I have been talking with. Some nice deals in Buckeye and Wittmann but that might be a little to far out.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #14
Dillon@ZenMoto
falls down too much

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw3dl1 View Post
Take a look in Scottsdale, AZ 85254

+1

plus you would be close to one of the best 990adv shops in the valley
Old 04-26-2014, 08:23 PM   #15
Gillies
Monkey Boy

Oddometer: 705
I've been in the Valley since 84. The OPs got four cars, a van, and bikes. He's expressed a desire for land and, apparently, space to be who he his. He wants to spend less than 250k and have easy access to Tuscon.

Horse property in Chandler, Gilbert, or Queen Creek? Please. A tract home in Scottsdale, Tempe, or any of the previously mentioned? He and the HOA probably won't like that. That pretty much shoots the hell out of all the right places to live. Buckeye or Maricopa might offer a slightly run down 1,800 square foot ranch house on an acre plus in his price range. Folks in those hoods usually like a bit of country and don't give a fart about what the neighbors think. Or maybe I read the OPs post all wrong.
Gillies is online now   Reply With Quote