ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #16
Tee2 OP
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillies View Post
I've been in the Valley since 84. The OPs got four cars, a van, and bikes. He's expressed a desire for land and, apparently, space to be who he his. He wants to spend less than 250k and have easy access to Tuscon.

Horse property in Chandler, Gilbert, or Queen Creek? Please. A tract home in Scottsdale, Tempe, or any of the previously mentioned? He and the HOA probably won't like that. That pretty much shoots the hell out of all the right places to live. Buckeye or Maricopa might offer a slightly run down 1,800 square foot ranch house on an acre plus in his price range. Folks in those hoods usually like a bit of country and don't give a fart about what the neighbors think. Or maybe I read the OPs post all wrong.

Good points, and you did read it mostly right. Forget about access to Tuscon, that is not high on my list. I spent some time today on Zillow I didn't find anything in Scottsdale that would work because of the cars we have. Wife has car, daughter has a small truck, I have a small work van, and we have an Astro van we probably will not bring. AC doesn't work. I would need a three car garage just for my tools, toys, and storage. I have to remember no basements there. I don't need a big lot, and my wife would prefer not having over an acre. She would prefer being closer in a town with subdivisions but no HOA. I did a lot of work for the big national builders and hate tract housing. And we really don't have the planned community's like in Phoenix. We have a small house on a half acre now with a two car garage with a second floor. And plenty of room for the cars.

My wife and I need to figure what we want so we are on the same page.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Tee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #17
vintagevp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Welcome

4th Generation AZ and a real estate developer so I will take a shot. Home buying has slowed so farther into the summer the prices should soften a bit (depends on the zip code). What you are looking for can be found in Cave Creek, North Phoenix between the 51 freeway and Cave Creek Road on the east and west and Shea Blvd and the 101 on the north and south. Deer Valley has a few listing like what you describe. Anthem could have the garage space you are looking for if not the acreage. I saw you mentioned Buckeye which would have the kind of product you mentioned but the commute going west is tough if you are going from Central Phoenix Hospitals. People make fun of Apache Junction but it is close to great riding and it has a lot of acre lots with garage space and it is close to the 60,202 Freeways. Queen Creek and San Tan Valley would also work. At any rate welcome to Phoenix it is an amazing place even in August.
vintagevp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #18
DurtKlod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee2 View Post
$250k tops for a house and would like to be well below that.
Ideal house would have the garage twice the size of the house.
I would like to live some where we could head out and get to some good riding and not take 2 hours to just to get there.
Would like to have a oversize lot that would have room for a workshop/garage and all the vehicles.
My wife would prefer not having over an acre. She would prefer being closer in a town with subdivisions but no HOA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagevp View Post
What you are looking for can be found in...
North Phoenix between the 51 freeway and Cave Creek Road on the east and west and Shea Blvd and the 101 on the north and south.
My wife and I have been toying with a very similar idea so I have been following this thread with interest. I did a search in two of the zip codes (85032 and 85028) that Vintagevp says has all this stuff and I found 0 results. If I drop the "1 acre or more" to just "any", it returns 7 results... all on dinky little standard city sized lots. Is Realtor.com a crap search site?
Old 04-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #19
vintagevp
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
My wife and I have been toying with a very similar idea so I have been following this thread with interest. I did a search in two of the zip codes (85032 and 85028) that Vintagevp says has all this stuff and I found 0 results. If I drop the "1 acre or more" to just "any", it returns 7 results... all on dinky little standard city sized lots. Is Realtor.com a crap search site?
Not necessarily. I was suggesting areas where product like he was looking for can be found.I did not check active listings before I suggested the areas. Many more homes will go on the market in the next month so it was about areas not listings. As far as listings go using his desired size,price etc I could only find 69 listing in the entire MLS which covers an area much bigger than metro Phoenix. I put them into a report if you PM I will send it along.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #20
Tee2 OP
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtKlod View Post
Try Zillow.com But you will find houses listed as over one acre and when you look it's the size of a postage stamp.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #21
Tee2 OP
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Thanks Vin, got the PM. I have been working with a realtor but not serious because I didn't want to waste her time if the job didn't happen. She sends me emails with what I'm looking for. Some are nice and some are dumps.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #22
vintagevp
Adventurer

Some are nice and some are dumps.[/QUOTE]
Exactly...Best of Luck...I ran the search as broadly as possible so you have Wickenberg to Payson and points in between.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:51 AM   #23
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
realtor.com is actually the most accurate search, because it has a direct feed from the mls. it's run by the national association of realtors.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #24
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,398
With all due respect to my friend Seabee, I found redfin.com superior. You can search with all sorts of filters/criteria and their data is near real-time. From their website:

Quote:
We make it our business to have the most accurate data out there, updated every 15 to 30 minutes so you'll never miss out.
Zillow.com data is fairly stale.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:08 PM   #25
Tee2 OP
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney View Post
With all due respect to my friend Seabee, I found redfin.com superior. You can search with all sorts of filters/criteria and their data is near real-time. From their website:

Zillow.com data is fairly stale.

But Zillow has a good iPad app.

I have used Redfin but forgot about it. That app is not bad. Realtor.com has to be the clunkiest website of them all.

I talked to my boss today and he said Tucson a few time a month, and probably for the fist year or so, Flagstaff a few times a month for a few days at a time. I'll believe it when it happens. I did tell him I'll live there and commute to Phoenix.

While looking at the map I came across Ben Avery shooting range. Wow, I think I'm going to like AZ.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:39 PM   #26
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
There's another good outdoor range in the east called rio salado. Plus a bunch of indoor ranges. If you ask really nicely, I can take you on the army ranges in Florence. Combat pistol range, machine gun range where you shoot at trucks and tanks, all kinds of fun!

I was the small arms instructor for my unit, and a range master with the army, and they still let me play out there.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #27
Tee2 OP
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1 View Post
There's another good outdoor range in the east called rio salado. Plus a bunch of indoor ranges. If you ask really nicely, I can take you on the army ranges in Florence. Combat pistol range, machine gun range where you shoot at trucks and tanks, all kinds of fun!

I was the small arms instructor for my unit, and a range master with the army, and they still let me play out there.
That place looks nice too. How cool would it be to watch Rob Leatham shoot. I would like to get back into USPSA. I helped start the USPSA program at the club I shot at up here.

I'll take you up on the army range, that sounds like fun. Let me know what you drink and I'll bring you a bribe from up north. May be you can teach me to shoot long range too, we only had a 100yrd range and I wasn't very good at that.

Can't wait to be out there next week.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:51 PM   #28
TangoBob
PILAS

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee2 View Post
That place looks nice too. How cool would it be to watch Rob Leatham shoot. I would like to get back into USPSA. I helped start the USPSA program at the club I shot at up here.
Rio has the more active USPSA clubs, Ben Avery is stronger in SASS and Hi Power. I would be looking in eastern Mesa based on your interests.

Rob Leatham is a very friendly and approachable guy. So are Nils Jonasson and Angus Hobdell who you'll see at Rio fairly often. Brian Enos has mostly retired from the sport and spends his time riding dual sports and selling reloading gear, but he lives in Tempe.
TangoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #29
Tee2 OP
I SAID! Woo Hoo!

I'm sitting at Sky Harbor waiting on my delayed flight. I am probably more confused now that before I came out. I know Buckeye and Wittmann are out. My wife says AJ is out. We liked NE Mesa, New River, Surprize, Gold Canyon. And a few others. We are going to have to really change what we are looking for by cutting the big lot out, big garage. Maybe just an oversize garage with a shed.

I'm also going to look into building. We saw a few nice lots. I worked in home construction for 20 years and can do most everything. If I could find a GC that would take the house to finished drywall I would take over from there. that way we build what we need. If anyone knows a GC or about building cost PM me.

Flight just delayed another hour because of storms in Chicago. think I'll look for some thing to eat.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:51 PM   #30
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Anthem , New river area

I live in Anthem which can be a gated, golf course community or New River just a mile north has the acre to 5 acre horse property with no HOA etc etc. I love Arizona and I think it has some of the best riding anywhere for all types (except I have to ride 50 miles or so for good twisty's) If you have to be close to Tucson than this area might not work for you but I like being closer to Sedona, Grand Canyon Mongollon Rim by being a bit north of Phoenix proper. Cooler in the summer.. you can be to Flagstaff or Show Low in 2 hours. That's a big issue for me.
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote