User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #211
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Sample Train Stuff

I only have a few, but I keep looking. Taken from my thread posted back in May 2012, here is the Nampa, Idaho Train Depot. Believe the Canyon County Historical Society runs a museum out of it now. Shame I've not been inside.

I try to find old photo's of the depot's so you can see the new to old

Not as much train stuff out here as back east, but some still remain.

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:22 PM   #212
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
I went to college in Boston and really did explore NE for a while. I have now celebrated my 31 year of living in the South but must say, the pictures and write ups shown really make me want to go back to NE for a tour.

Thanks for the whole thread - very nice.
We hope you make it back for a tour, Drummer. In the meantime, we'll try to keep the pics coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
I only have a few, but I keep looking. Taken from my thread posted back in May 2012, here is the Nampa, Idaho Train Depot. Believe the Canyon County Historical Society runs a museum out of it now. Shame I've not been inside.

I try to find old photo's of the depot's so you can see the new to old

Not as much train stuff out here as back east, but some still remain.
We do love those old stations and that one's a real gem. Thanks for taking the time to post the pics!

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #213
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

What does a lowly Vermont lawyer do after he packs up everything, goes west to the gold rush, gets a pot full of money and then gets homesick? Answer: He goes back to Vermont and build a nice house - this nice house.

More to follow on this when I finish the work I skipped out on today and then get pictures uploaded.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:20 AM   #214
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

In Bennington, The Moose Watch You.

While on my way to explore and get some pictures of the Park McCullough house, there was this.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:09 PM   #215
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

The Park McCullough House

Some weeks back, we made a trip to Bennington, VT to view the area where the Battle of Bennington took place. Although the memorial is in Bennington, the actual battle took place just over the border in NY. Along the way, we stopped in North Bennington to visit the Park McCullough house. Unfortunately, it was closed that day.

Because the house may well be one of the best-preserved Victorian mansions in New England. I went back last Friday, knowing it would be open (Fridays only now). If you like Victorian homes, architecture and furnishings, you will want to see this place.

The house was built by Trenor Park in 1864 to 1865 for the princely sum of $75,000. He made his fortune in the gold rush through the practice of (claims) law and a variety of enterprises, not the least of which was managing properties for John Fremont. Riding up to the house, you can easily visualize folks arriving at the house to be greeted at the side carriage entrance. The lady in charge Friday was kind enough to let me pose the bike in front of the house before parking it out in back.

Below is a view of the rear of the house, where you will find gardens and carriage house.

Below is a good view of the carriage house and stables, where the horses and carriages were kept and maintained.

Today the carriage house is mostly empty and appeared to be used for catered functions.

Also on the property is the children's playhouse, shown below. I don't really know much about it yet; however, I can visualize how my own children would have played in something like this if they had had one.

You get a good view of the main house from the playhouse.

Below is a good view of the porch on the carriage entrance side of the house. I spent a while sitting out here and chatting with the volunteer ladies attending to the house. I learned that Trenor Park was almost never home and that his in-laws had an apartment in the mansion where they would come to stay with Mrs. Park. Back in those days, a lady was never left unattended, even though there were 8 or 9 servants in the servant's apartment.

When you enter the house from the carriage entrance, as guests would, the doors leading from the vestibule into the hall are something to see. As shown below, to say they are large may be somewhat of an understatement, as evidenced by this couple coming out of the house.

Below is what guests would have seen as they entered the hall from the carriage entrance vestibule. Note the clock in the fireplace mantel, something I can't remember seeing anywhere in this country. Please note that photographs inside the house are strictly verboten but I was given special permission when I told them I would not use flash, only take a few and be posting them on a world-wide adventure rider's web site.

Below is a vew of the main hall with the front entrance behind me.

Below is the front, ladies parlor that lies just to your left if you came in from the front, rather than carriage, entrance. These front rooms have huge pocket doors that would appear to weigh a ton. (slight exaggeration).

Just across the hall from the parlor above is Trenor Park's office (not shown), which connects to the billiard room, shown below. That a man's office should connect to a billiard room, if you have one, seems about right.

Below is an up close view of the main stairway, which receives light from a stained-glass skylight way above it.

Going up the first flight of stairs gives you a good view of the main hall below.

Upstairs are the many bedrooms, boudoirs, pissoirs, ante rooms and stairs to the third floor and cupola on top. After touring the house, I went downstairs, sat on the front porch and took in the view.

Exiting the porch to the left, I went through the side gardens to the rear of the house to get back on the motorcycle.

Near where the motorcycle was parked, I took this final picture of this splendid house. I was reminded that people built these homes back when there was no income tax, creating work for a variety of skilled craftsmen, whose skills are now mostly lost.

Lynne and I plan to go back soon as I missed seeing a lot the first time through due to a tight time schedule.

popscycle screwed with this post 07-14-2014 at 01:37 PM
Old 07-13-2014, 03:15 AM   #216
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,606
Loving this thread!

You boys wanna come tour NZ?

Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 04:21 AM   #217
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggie View Post
Loving this thread!

You boys wanna come tour NZ?

Shane
NZ would certainly be at the very top of our list, Shane, but we have such limited time to ride that we can't even do a proper job of touring New England. We are most happy that you're enjoying the thread.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #218
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

A Barn Find: Adventure Gold

For those of you who like to find and see interesting old things, we struck gold yesterday with an awesome barn find - and it really was in an unused dairy barn.

Through a circuitous set of circumstances and chance encounters on the road, we were privileged to get to view this 1852 Smith pumper.

There aren't many of these left in near-original condition and I would think they're rather valuable. The nameplate says it was made by one James Smith of New York.

We found references to only two other Smith pumpers, one in Babylon NY and the other in New Jersey, both of which do not appear to be in near-original condition as this one seems to be.

We must abide by our promise not to reveal any other information about this find other than to say it all started with a chance strech-the-legs stop at the Quabbin Reservoir boat launch and brief chat with the ranger in charge who knew someone who was related to someone in a place we were planning to visit. When we visited that place, that someone received a chance text message that led to a discussion about fire engines that eventually led to the barn.

From fishing gate to rare old pumper in only a hundred plus miles and a dozen or so circuitous steps and chance events.

APPEAL: If anyone has any knowledge of or references to pumper builder James P. Smith, please let us know.

popscycle screwed with this post 07-13-2014 at 01:49 PM
Old 07-14-2014, 06:45 AM   #219
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

A Happy Road

Some days back, we had set off to check out the road where noted writer, poet and Librarian of Congress Archibald MacLeish lived. We had heard that it was a good little road and I wanted to see what kind of house Macleish lived in during his retirement. There was a ratty, winding asphalt ride up to his house. The road wasn't a happy one as its only redeeming quality was sufficient irregularities to warrant switching the suspension setting to SOFT. We reached the house, which is shown below with Rider Two giving me a bored WTF look for my leading him up here.

Just past the house, though, was a sign that said "Not A Through Road" and the road turned to dirt/gravel, prompting me to ask"You happy now?" through the BT comm.

The road definitely got better as we left the asphalt but wasn't anything that would make a cruiser rider want to turn back; however, another mile on it got more interesting as things got higher, wetter and steeper with looser gravel. It was a happy road and it does go through if you have the right vehicle.

Somewhere between ratty asphalt roads and technical mountain goat trails are those wonderful roads that make you happy. This was one of those.

The happiest roads, however, are those where you can get off into the woods and find interesting things.

popscycle screwed with this post 07-14-2014 at 07:17 AM
Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #220
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
I'm speechless...in a good way. The places and things you are sharing is unbelievalbly awesome.

Excellent I must say!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 12:05 PM   #221
KMichael
Go Explore

Oddometer: 45
Multiple Choice

Guess which one of these is the oldest:
A) Popscycle -- who clearly loves the camera;
B) Whatley Fire Truck -- a 1960's pumper; or
C) Army Deuce and a Half -- a 1950's M35?

If you answered "A", you're correct. I swear his GS has turned back the clock a couple of decades. Ride on Popscycle, Ride on.
Old 07-14-2014, 04:15 PM   #222
Emperor Norton
Kilroy was here

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post

Through a circuitous set of circumstances and chance encounters on the road, we were privileged to get to view this 1852 Smith pumper.

queue Indiana Jones 'It belongs in a museum".
Old 07-14-2014, 05:16 PM   #223
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
I'm speechless...in a good way. The places and things you are sharing is unbelievalbly awesome.

Excellent I must say!
Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. I had no idea these kinds of bikes and riding could be so much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDuck View Post
queue Indiana Jones 'It belongs in a museum".
Probably, Joe, however there are natives who gather around it on days of high ceremony who would have our hides if we suggested that. It was by virtue of a village chief getting extremely pissed at someone in another state seeking information that we learned of its existence in the first place. We then had to both grovel and threaten to bribe the chief's wife to no end before we were taken to the place of hiding. Rider two will verify this is all true, as he was there groveling before the ancient artifact.

Rumors of angry, biting guard cows in this temple of bovine ilk and cow pies are slightly exaggerated. Barn dogs are another matter.

popscycle screwed with this post 07-14-2014 at 06:56 PM
Old 07-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #224
sarelp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
I really love this thread, you guys are doing an awesome job. Did you ever consider an Iron Butt National parks tour, you would like it a lot !! Are you guys going to the MOA rally ?

Thanks for shearing !!
Old 07-15-2014, 03:05 AM   #225
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
NZ would certainly be at the very top of our list, Shane, but we have such limited time to ride that we can't even do a proper job of touring New England. We are most happy that you're enjoying the thread.
Welcome any time!!

Back to

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote