Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #301
beemerjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Get a klr--you NEVER have to wash them, and talk about slowing down to smell the roses.... ;-)
Great thread, and excellent camera work BTW

JIm

It's all about attitude & timing.

I'm not sure where we're going, but this road seems to be paved with good intentions.
beemerjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #302
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeickerman View Post
I wash my GS once every two or three years.

John
I am getting better, having gone from never letting a bike get dirty or unwaxed to only hosing it down when the dust and/or mud starts to build up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerjim View Post
Get a klr--you NEVER have to wash them, and talk about slowing down to smell the roses.... ;-)
Great thread, and excellent camera work BTW

JIm

LOL and we're glad you are enjoying the thread. Appreciate the kind comment on camera work as we're trying to get pics that people will enjoy rather than for artistic sake (if I even knew what that was)!

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 08-17-2014 at 12:45 PM
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #303
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

The Gelände Part Of It All

Getting out and about now means cruising to places where you can get onto back roads you haven't seen, be they dirt, gravel and/or asphalt. Here are some pics from the Gelände part of GS. The first of these illustrates a favored kind of ride - on roads, paths or trails that follow rivers and streams.

The whole scene is so very restful and relaxing with lots of spots to stretch the legs, hydrate and snack.

Often you find interesting structures along side these waterways. The sign to the left of the window below says Member American Agriculturist Protective Service.

Ventures along streams usually leads to rivers and, in New England, rivers inevitably lead to mill towns.

Mill towns then often have interesting old mill equipment, like the waterway debris removal equipment (I think) shown below.

Below is another view of the above mill race equipment.

When you've had enough of the town, you get back into the sticks to find more offrod things of interest and fun.

Along many of the roads that follow rivers and streams you will find farms that once took advantage of the richer bottom land for crops and livestock. Many old barns are no longer used for anything except storage, if that. Below is a classic barn with what appears to be an attached milk house.

Some farm buildings are not as well kept as the one above.

We often run across buildings out in the middle of nowhere whose purpose isn't readily apparent. This was one.

Mowing hay the old fashioned way isn't something you see around here very often.

These (mostly) single lane dirt and gravel tracks once in a while yield great treasures.

Sometimes they just yield a sweet spot to take a break.

Another favorite activity is riding on or along railroad tracks where the going is safe and not too technical.

Railroad tracks can lead to some interesting old buildings.

I never thought I would say this but another favorite stretch of road is a shortcut (in distance, not time) home where there's a good bit of downhill with turns and lots of loose gravel. It's not what you'd call technical in any sense but it is fun and good therapy for what ails you.

This bit of road has some nice streams running though it.

My favorite final stopping place on the way home is this roadside pond, which is another good place to stretch the tired old body parts, finish off what's left in the HydraPak and just enjoy the serenity before making the final leg home.

We often take our longer day trips on Saturday or Sunday and finish off the day by meeting the wives at one of the (public) country clubs. We are fortunate to have a number of public country clubs that are nicer than the old (and somewhat stuffy) private ones. Below is Rider Two relaxing on the terrace and contemplating his next ride.

Of late he has been too busy with work to ride much but we hope that will change before the leaves change.

More to follow if time allows.

popscycle screwed with this post 08-18-2014 at 01:55 PM
Old 08-19-2014, 07:04 AM   #304
goosecreek
a desk prop

Oddometer: 2,233
Hey popscycle hope you do not mind me posting this.

Coudersport Depot just off of 6 in Coudersport Pa

The left side is the Police station.
goosecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:02 PM   #305
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosecreek View Post
Hey popscycle hope you do not mind me posting this.

Coudersport Depot just off of 6 in Coudersport Pa

The left side is the Police station.
Thank you very much for posting the station pic. It is probably one we would have otherwise never seen if you hadn't made us aware. Years ago in the cruiser days when my folks were alive, I used to always ride across PA on Rt 6 en route to visit them in the flatlands, but I never took pics. Unfortunately, they're gone now but I am thinking there might be some great railroad/station picture opportunities along that route - something to look into. I owe you!

Old 08-19-2014, 02:27 PM   #306
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

I Wondered What This Was

Being well hydrated and on the way home, I pulled off down this gravel road to make for a much gladder bladder. I was paying rapt attention to the grass and the trees on the right, which looked to be the perfect place to wet the grass.

While deep in the grass getting relief watering the weasel, I paid more attention to this structure and wondered.

It first made me think of a coal mine but there's no coal around here that we know of and there was no lift mechanism - only a dump mechanism, like the kind a truck would drive under for sand, gravel, whatever.

OK, if it was for sand or gravel, what was all the plumbing and tank for? A cement/concrete plant perhaps? We do have a lot of rock in MA.

Being curious and wondering what it is, I will now probably have to ride back and find someone in the nearest town hall who knows what it was. Preferring not to cover the same ground again, I hope someone here can shed some light on the subject. TIA.

EDIT UPDATE: It appears that a rail line did go right by this structure at one time. I believe it was the Ware River Railroad Company that built the line and is now called the Ware River Rail Trail.

popscycle screwed with this post 08-19-2014 at 04:59 PM
Old 08-20-2014, 02:10 PM   #307
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Slipping Away

This, the first summer of being weaned off the cruiser, is rapidly slipping away with 10K miles of day-tripping so far. Taking notice of such slippage, I slipped away yesterday to get in a short ride west and north.

Due to limited time, we (i.e., the bike and I) chose a combo of back road slab and some very nice gravel shortcuts to zip down. Note: I stop to take pictures when on gravel.

Rode by a very nice little pond. I was thinking there could be some nice largemouth bass lurking in those weeds out in the middle of the pond.

This particular pond had an old mill that was nicely re-purposed into a store and bar/grill.

Not too far down the road was a well-maintained old farmstead. I am guessing it is late 1700s to mid 1800s initial construction with later add-ons.

I rode farther north to scout roads around the Ashuelot River, shown below.

A little farther down the river is the dam in Hinsdale, NH.

Further on down the river in the village of Ashuelot, were these two interesting houses. The first is now a museum and home to the local historical society.

Up the hill was another, much larger structure. Being far larger and more impressive than all the other houses in the area, I am led to think it was somebody's mansion at one time. Quite often they turn these larger old homes into housing for the elderly.

Coming down the hill from the big house above, is the famous Ashuelot Covered Bridge. I say "famous" because it is consider to be one of the best, if not the best, covered bridge in New England.

There was no traffic so I stopped part way through to take this picture.

On the way back, got a picture of this fine old building - the Royalston, MA city hall, which dates back to the 1800s.

More to follow as time allows.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #308
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Slipping Away Part Two

When it comes to riding, some days are glorious and the others are just good. Here are some pics from a few shorter trips on good days. Zipping west on the Mohawk trail takes you by this re-purposed railroad freight house in Erving. When heading west in a hurry (i.e., on Rt. 2 rather than back roads), I often stop here to stretch the legs and hydrate.

Heading out to some back roads, crossing rivers is a must. While rider two likes water, I prefer bridges.

The best roads are often those along the rivers, but you do have to cross over eventually.

There were some nice farm roads, complete with a wealth of tar snakes. For the record, I love tar snakes - they put a little wiggle to your walk.

The farmsteads on these back roads have stories to tell and sometimes hide treasures, as did this one.

Among the many nice old farmsteads are the remains of some that fell onto hard times.

But the views are almost always excellent, especially later in the day.

Had to get back to work. More to follow.

popscycle screwed with this post 08-22-2014 at 04:11 PM
Old 08-24-2014, 12:43 PM   #309
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

I Missed Some Stuff (Updated)

These days I often enjoy riding so much that I totally "zone out" everything else and become one with the bike and the road. This means missed exploration and photo opportunities. It was during one of these rides that I totally missed exploring some old mills so I went back yesterday.

I had the route planned, but as often happens, the ride is so fine that I miss things. I was planning to head to Northfield and then on up into NH along the Ashuelot river again but I zoned out the turn and backtracked a half dozen miles. The backtrack wasn't really necessary but we never want to miss roads with names like this.

Although not the most fun road (i.e., it was paved), the ride was interesting and there were some good views.

The road came out just south of Northfield, MA and we motored on into town.

Northfield is noteworty for the Northfield Mt. Herman school, which was founded in 1879 by Dwight L. Moody (also the Moody Bible Institute in Chicago) just south of Northfield in Gill, MA. The Mount Herman school is one of those private, very selective, college prep, boarding schools (e.g. like Choate, Phillips Exeter, Groton, etc.).

In any event, I made it up to to Hinsdale and stoped to hydrate and stretch, taking another picture of the town and dam.

I took another picture of the dam because there is another like it a few miles upstream where I was headed to explore some old mills.

Just over the bridge above is the Hinsdale Railroad Station, shown below. It was on private property so I stopped by later to take the quick picture.

The mills in question were on the other side of the river in Winchester, NH, thus yielding a nice bridge pic.

There were several mills to explore.

Look, folks, a bit of art in this fine gallery.

Here is a little closer look at this millyard masterpiece.

I do appreciate and understand that this was not the Louvre and not to put down that fine institute but you can appreciate art anywhere and, frankly, milling around here was more fun than milling around there.

To the right of this art mecca was another mill dam, much like the one in Hinsdale.

I took some back roads home to stop at the location where another, much smaller mill once stood. All that's left now is a millstone where the mill once stood, the mill pond (most of which is on the other side of the small bridge), dam and big house on the hill.

People stop to enjoy the mill pond and dam.

The house was for sale the last time I went through here but I didn't see a sign this time. This would be an idyllic spot for someone who like the country life and doesn't mind all the associated upkeep that goes with it.

More to follow in a subsequent post.

popscycle screwed with this post 08-24-2014 at 01:00 PM
Old 08-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #310
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

A Major Tool In The Fight Against Pain

Among the more painful things you can endure is kidney stones, which ranks right up there with (and, according to some, perhaps above) such things as childbirth and torture. This week was a stone milestone with the news from the doc that, for the first time in many years, I am stone-free. What's different is that I have been religiously hydrating while riding by putting a HydraPak in the top bag with the drinking tube running and attaching to my jacket.

I generally fill the pack with ice cubes, add water and stuff it in the top case, along with a frozen bottle of water to add later. Constant and consistent hydration seems to be the key to keeping them flushed out and it sure beats having a laser shoved up your willy to blast them loose.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with HydraPak.

Old 08-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #311
bluestar
misfit

Oddometer: 684
What kind of top case do you have on the bike?

Still enjoying the pix and stories.

Two lane blacktop isn't a highway, it's an attitude.
bluestar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #312
Thumpercrazee
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,293
Wow what a great thread. Congrats on the new bikes too! Really enjoyed the report. Thanks for sharing..

TC

2007 Star Stratoliner
2004 V-Strom 1000
Thumpercrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #313
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar View Post
What kind of top case do you have on the bike?

Still enjoying the pix and stories.
That top case is, I belive, an old T-bag that has bumping around the family for a good bit. I just unzipped and removed the top and used two bungee cords to hold it on. Also, we are very happy to hear you are still enjoying the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpercrazee View Post
Wow what a great thread. Congrats on the new bikes too! Really enjoyed the report. Thanks for sharing..

TC
You are most welcome. We are enjoying these bikes like no other.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #314
Bad-Tat
800 XC

Oddometer: 125
New England has so many fun places to ride and explore! Have to get back up there soon!Great report!

1995 XR 650L, Tiger 800 XC, 72 Triumph T100R, 86 SRX 6, 05 FLSTSCI, 13 Vespa 300, 08 Versys, 14 Grom
Bad-Tat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:07 AM   #315
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Tat View Post
New England has so many fun places to ride and explore! Have to get back up there soon!Great report!
If you get up this way, give us a shout so we can buy you a beer or beverage of your choice. You have some pretty good riding areas down in your neck of the woods too. Anyway, we are happy you're enjoying the RR and appreciate your dropping by the thread.