Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #76
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by 805gregg View Post
Great pictures of your rides, good to see another rider get off the obsolete cruiser bikes. But all those rides could be done on any bike how about some off road so we can see how you like a 500lb plus so called " dual sport " bike where it was designed to go
We do a fair amount of off-road into the sand and mud; however, there's generally not much to take pictures of except trees and the occasional bridge.

The bikes seem to do fine in gravel, sand and mud that isn't too slippery. Being ex-cruiser types, we are into exploring rather than chasing down more technical trails that have nothing on them. All we could find on this one was a house on a bluff and an old cemetery. It did have standing water in the low spots, though, and that was somewhat interesting if not photogenic.

It is worth remembering that the bikes did well riding in the crud shown below, all of which was damp or wet, including standing water and some deep and nasty, water-filled dips (not shown - about a quarter mile back). As for any bike doing this, smart money would bet against a half-ton behemoth making it over this run.

We've been known to get a little far afield at times. Riding in grass that isn't too high (so you can see what you are riding into) or too wet can be fun; however, it's also not that photogenic.

Of course, the great thing about these bikes is that you can chase down roads/trails/paths that would ground a big Hog or Hondapotamus. But then, LOL, we have some paved roads that will do the same thing. We will make a concerted effort to take more off road pictures; however, we can't suggest they will be all that interesting.

Bottom Line: We like these bikes, both for (1) cruising/getting to places on the slab and (2) getting off the slab to explore. Of all the bikes laying around in family garages, which includes some "dirt" bikes, it is the three GSs that get ridden the most. As for me personally, the GS is the only bike I want to ride.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 05-29-2014 at 06:34 AM
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #77
manfromthestix
Lost in Space

Oddometer: 2,125
Quote:
Great pictures of your rides, good to see another rider get off the obsolete cruiser bikes. But all those rides could be done on any bike how about some off road so we can see how you like a 500lb plus so called " dual sport " bike where it was designed to go
No need to be snarky, man! Anyone who rides a big "dual sport" knows it isn't a true dirt bike, but it does handle dirt roads and ratty asphalt beautifully. When my wife and I are loaded for a trip and riding two-up we're running about 900 pounds of total weight. I don't get too crazy on the Big Pig, I save rides like that for the WR250R!

I like your photos with trains! I've taken several and it's always cool to juxtapose the little free-wheeling bike with the big lumbering train.

Durango - Silverton Narrow Gage RR, some years ago:

The Cass Scenic Railroad in Cass, West Virginia (two days ago):

I like your ride reports, keep it up! They give me ideas about places I'd like to ride some day.

Doug
Old 05-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #78
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix View Post
No need to be snarky, man! Anyone who rides a big "dual sport" knows it isn't a true dirt bike, but it does handle dirt roads and ratty asphalt beautifully. When my wife and I are loaded for a trip and riding two-up we're running about 900 pounds of total weight. I don't get too crazy on the Big Pig, I save rides like that for the WR250R!

I like your photos with trains! I've taken several and it's always cool to juxtapose the little free-wheeling bike with the big lumbering train.

Durango - Silverton Narrow Gage RR, some years ago:

The Cass Scenic Railroad in Cass, West Virginia (two days ago):

I like your ride reports, keep it up! They give me ideas about places I'd like to ride some day.

Doug
We are happy you're enjoying the reports and thank you for the pictures and for reminding me about the Cass Scenic RR, which belongs on my (rather lengthy) to-do list. You can never have too many pictures of steam engines, especially a Shay's. If you have more, we'd love to see them. Here's one of our train pics from several months ago.

popscycle screwed with this post 05-28-2014 at 12:49 PM
Old 05-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #79
PowersUSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Checking in from North Central MA. Many familiar sights in this thread and a couple of new ones now added to my must see list. Keep them coming.
PowersUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:29 AM   #80
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowersUSA View Post
Checking in from North Central MA. Many familiar sights in this thread and a couple of new ones now added to my must see list. Keep them coming.
We welcome your check-in and any suggestions you might have for future ride/photo opportunities.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:31 AM   #81
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 853
Not snarky at all, nor sarcastic, a bit more sardonic perhaps or just a witty response that regardless any definition was well done.

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:53 AM   #82
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Stopping Points

One of our (numerous) failures is getting so wrapped up in riding (these GS things are a lot of fun to ride) that we often pass by a good number of photo opportunities. Sometimes, the only pictures taken are those when we stop to stretch. Sometimes these places are interesting and sometimes not. In any event, here are some non-destination stopping points in the last month or two. The first of these is an now-abandoned private girl's academy. Having sucked most of the water out of the hydra-pack at this point, the bushes came in handy.

This little church provide another relief stop. Somebody had forgotten to latch the door and it was flapping in the breeze. Relief for the bladder and soul in one stop.

Then, there was this place where I stopped to ask direction from a fellow across the street.

This old store was for sale but the owners didn't spend much advertising the fact - probably because it was out in the middle of nowhere.

This is an interesting (to me) building in Princeton, MA.

As with others here, we do like bridges and will usually stop and rest thereabouts if traffic allows.

Resting is good, especially when you get old.

popscycle screwed with this post 05-29-2014 at 06:36 AM
Old 05-29-2014, 02:23 PM   #83
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
As a final note on the subject, not all of those rides could have been done on any bike (e.g., some of the track rides), our rides do get "off road" on trails like this and both I, being the really old fart that I am, and GS like them just fine.

The problem is that they get boring after a while as there's not much to see except dense forest/foliage if they don't lead to something. The value of dual-sport is that they make very good cruisers (faster than most with better handling, IMHO) and you can take advantage of their off-road capabilities when the trail/path/way does lead to something, such as an old railroad tunnel or interesting view.

popscycle screwed with this post 05-30-2014 at 06:43 AM
Old 05-30-2014, 05:58 AM   #84
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

The Village Is A Museum

Those of you who're not from the area and are interested in early Americana might enjoy Historic Deerfield, which is a village that is a museum. Located off Rt 5 just south of Greenfield, MA at coordinates 42.543121, -72.602021; the village is on the Nation Register of Historic Places and offers a lot of historical houses and items for those who're interested. Some of the houses are open for tours (for a fee) and others are lived in.

I was passing through Greenfield yesterday and it was a nice day so I swung down 5 and took some pictures.

Historic Deerfield is a very quiet, restful and peaceful place and certainly not the place for loud pipes.

Here are some of the houses lining the streets, some of which date back to the early 1700s.

Above and below is the Williams House, constructed in 1730. The natives were friendly this day.

The house below has been special, as the wife and I first saw it in a painting hanging on a neighbor's wall back when we lived in IL. We didn't know where it was until we happened upon it here in Historic Deerfield on an excursion.

If you have time for a little libation (I didn't), this is a nice place to do it.

Below is the Barnard Tavern, built in 1795

Finally, my other favorite, the Dwight House, built in 1754.

popscycle screwed with this post 05-30-2014 at 10:39 AM
Old 05-30-2014, 09:54 AM   #85
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Wow

I can't believe I've ignored this post for so long. Stupid, stupid me! This RR has ton's of things I thoroughly enjoy, railroad's, railroad building's, old brick factories, that cool-to-bad-it's-being-demolished IOOF building, just to name a few.

I'm definitely subscribed now! This is awesome. Don't stop and keep it going!!!!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 04:40 AM   #86
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

If you want to explore old factories around here, you had better get to liking gravel as we encounter a lot of it. Happened on this old factory, most of which has been torn down and turned into acres and acres of gravel.

Did I mention gravel?

This stuff (i.e. gravel) used to bother the crap out of me on the old Hondapotamus but it puts a smile on my face now - maybe even a smirk now and then when it is bumpy and loose. That said, gravel becomes a part of your off-road life. You find it everywhere.

There can be piles of gravel around railroad tracks.

It is the very foundation of train yards.

And old train engines.

And it can readily be found mixed with dirt and mud.

Having a ride that lets you get into gravel with some confidence can put a smile on your face too. The gravel grimace is gone.

popscycle screwed with this post 05-31-2014 at 05:12 AM
Old 05-31-2014, 05:07 AM   #87
Benduro
None more black.

Oddometer: 1,700
A thoroughly enjoyable read! There are so many ways in which we can use the humble motorcycle as a tool for increasing our understanding of the world. And then sharing that knowledge with others!
Old 05-31-2014, 05:26 AM   #88
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
I can't believe I've ignored this post for so long. Stupid, stupid me! This RR has ton's of things I thoroughly enjoy, railroad's, railroad building's, old brick factories, that cool-to-bad-it's-being-demolished IOOF building, just to name a few.

I'm definitely subscribed now! This is awesome. Don't stop and keep it going!!!!
We will and thank you for letting us know about your RR. We envy your trails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benduro View Post
A thoroughly enjoyable read! There are so many ways in which we can use the humble motorcycle as a tool for increasing our understanding of the world. And then sharing that knowledge with others!
So true! Thank you for stopping by our RR.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:33 AM   #89
justdirtyfun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Well spoken and your pictures bring me in for more. Your historical area looks interesting. Over in Missouri is an annual ride organized around historic swinging bridges. When I'm back home I hope to post a pic or two. Thanks.
justdirtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:37 AM   #90
popscycle OP
Fahren Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdirtyfun View Post
Well spoken and your pictures bring me in for more. Your historical area looks interesting. Over in Missouri is an annual ride organized around historic swinging bridges. When I'm back home I hope to post a pic or two. Thanks.
Glad you are enjoying the RR and we will be doing more historical areas - we have a lot. Also, we look forward to any/all bridge pictures you might have, especially swinging bridges, for which I have great affection. The little town in IL that I grew up in had two (now 3) swinging bridges that we played/jumped/rode on. Below is one of them (pic taken from web).

It was great fun to ride your scoot over these when your buds have got it swinging good.