ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2014, 06:55 AM   #106
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer
 
TheAdmiral's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Sand Hollow, Idaho
Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post

Our final stop in North Bennington was the beautifully-restored old railroad station, shown below. That all of these old stations could be so preserved.

I wish they were too. In the past, way to many were torn down. Good thing there are still quite a few around. I have done a bit of research on some of the old train stations around my neck of the desert!

This one looks similiar to a few I've found as well. This one has been nicely preserved. Good history lesson, thanks.
__________________
For the record, I hate snakes!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:20 AM   #107
LudemJo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2014
Oddometer: 112
Popscycle, you have commented several times in this post about the benefits of the GS over your past touring bikes. I am interested in any experiences you, or your partners, have had riding a GS two-up. I currently have a Harley Electra Glide that my wife and I ride constantly. Other than commuting, I rarely ride solo. I am just curious how it handles and if the passenger is comfortable riding back there.

Your posts have sparked an interest in potentially adding another bike at some point. Needless to say, the Harley is truly a hog in the dirt/gravel.

Thanks for the ride reports, I will continue watching.

John
LudemJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:42 AM   #108
popscycle OP
Fahren Away
 
popscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Central MA
Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudemJo View Post
Popscycle, you have commented several times in this post about the benefits of the GS over your past touring bikes. I am interested in any experiences you, or your partners, have had riding a GS two-up. I currently have a Harley Electra Glide that my wife and I ride constantly. Other than commuting, I rarely ride solo. I am just curious how it handles and if the passenger is comfortable riding back there.

Your posts have sparked an interest in potentially adding another bike at some point. Needless to say, the Harley is truly a hog in the dirt/gravel.

Thanks for the ride reports, I will continue watching.

John
John, I cannot give you any 2-up experiences or comments since the wife no longer rides. Personally, I think it is one of the best handling motorcycles made but may not be the best for passenger comfort. The wife was quite comfortable on the previous GL1800; however, it was one of the worst handling bikes I ever had, with or without a passenger - I think size/weight, a crappy suspension and the laws of physics had something to do with that. I am now a great fan of bikes lighter than 600 lbs that have a healthy HP/weight ratio.

Let me conclude by saying that all the riders in the family have had big Harleys and/or Goldwings and we all now ride solo and have GSs. Rider Two still has his Glide but only occasionally commutes into Boston on it. The bottom line for all three of us is that we are more comfortable on the GS than on the bigger cruisers and suspension/handling has a lot to do with that. Also, a being able to get off road when you want to is a big plus (adds a another dimension to your riding) but that may not be the best environment for riding 2-up as you can slip/slide around at times. My best advice to you would be to go to your nearest dealer and do a demo ride, 2-up if you wish.

Best regards,
John
__________________
Reality extends beyond the limits of our perception.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 06-10-2014 at 05:39 AM
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:16 PM   #109
KMichael
Go Explore
 
KMichael's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Central MA
Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by LudemJo View Post
Popscycle, you have commented several times in this post about the benefits of the GS over your past touring bikes. I am interested in any experiences you, or your partners, have had riding a GS two-up. I currently have a Harley Electra Glide that my wife and I ride constantly. Other than commuting, I rarely ride solo. I am just curious how it handles and if the passenger is comfortable riding back there.

Your posts have sparked an interest in potentially adding another bike at some point. Needless to say, the Harley is truly a hog in the dirt/gravel.

Thanks for the ride reports, I will continue watching.

John
My two cents: the GS would not be a comfortable option for two-up on the slab, and would not be an option at all for two-up off the slab. Perhaps one GS for you and another for the wife? Note: now that I have the GS I rarely ride my Street Glide.
__________________
2013 BMW R1200GS | 2010 Harley Davidson FLHX
KMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #110
KMichael
Go Explore
 
KMichael's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Central MA
Oddometer: 45
I think Rider Three posted a very nice picture of the railroad station in Bennington. Did you catch how he left out my ride? So, personally, I think this version is better!
Attached Images
 
__________________
2013 BMW R1200GS | 2010 Harley Davidson FLHX
KMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #111
popscycle OP
Fahren Away
 
popscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Central MA
Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMichael View Post
I think Rider Three posted a very nice picture of the railroad station in Bennington. Did you catch how he left out my ride? So, personally, I think this version is better!
LOL, did you catch how I rode my bike up on the platform so it could pose with the whole station but he didn't because was too busy going off to see if he could ride down the tracks.
__________________
Reality extends beyond the limits of our perception.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:20 PM   #112
KMichael
Go Explore
 
KMichael's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2013
Location: Central MA
Oddometer: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
LOL, did you catch how I rode my bike up on the platform so it could pose with the whole station but he didn't because was too busy going off to see if he could ride down the tracks.
Hey, speaking of riding down railroad tracks, someday soon I will make my way through the Hoosac Tunnel. Before I do that, though, I need new tires. Would appreciate feedback on options from readers of this thread. I've had Michelin Anakee III's on order since February. I've lost hope that they'll ever arrive. Any recommendations on alternatives? Thanks in advance.
__________________
2013 BMW R1200GS | 2010 Harley Davidson FLHX
KMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:33 PM   #113
sixspeed
15 under Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
Oddometer: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
Let me conclude by saying that all the riders in the family have had big Harleys and/or Goldwings and we all now ride solo and have GSs. Rider Two still has his Glide but only occasionally commutes into Boston on it. The bottom line for all three of us is that we are more comfortable on the GS than on the bigger cruisers and suspension/handling has a lot to do with that. Also, a being able to get off road when you want to is a big plus (adds a another dimension to your riding) but that may not be the best environment for riding 2-up as you can slip/slide around at times. My best advice to you would be to go to your nearest dealer and do a demo ride, 2-up if you wish.

Best regards,
John
I'm not really into the GS scene, but a little gravel or mud never really stopped me and my big boy.

Not sure I'm going to be riding down ties or ballast any time soon though.

__________________
"Life is like a mountain railway, with an engineer that's brave..."

Rob 2010 WR250R 2011 FLHP
sixspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:45 AM   #114
popscycle OP
Fahren Away
 
popscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Central MA
Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed View Post
I'm not really into the GS scene, but a little gravel or mud never really stopped me and my big boy.

Not sure I'm going to be riding down ties or ballast any time soon though.
Nice ride you got there sixspeed! If it's moving you where you want to go, all is good. Thanks for posting a train pic (we love train stuff). Now, about riding down those railroad tracks and ties . . . . . .



. . . . how inviting is that? Just put your suspension to soft, your face to smile and carpe diem.
__________________
Reality extends beyond the limits of our perception.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 06-11-2014 at 03:24 AM
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:55 AM   #115
popscycle OP
Fahren Away
 
popscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Central MA
Oddometer: 1,193
Playing With Pictures

Sometimes you run across places where objects to be photographed just beg to be shown in a different light. One such situation occurred last weekend from our trip up into NY where we passed the supposedly-haunted but definitely ramshackle Walloomsac Inn. If there was ever a better location for a Psycho-Movie-like hostelry, I don't know what it would be. Regardless, the place didn't look all that spooky in the heat of a bright, sunlit day and, not having the time to ride back up that way for a night shot, I did what I could with what little time I did have (a few minutes).



The was an earlier such incident on page 5 with apologies for any photographic butchery. It, too seemed to cry out for more spookiness.



The above two pictures, however, are examples of my just goofing around. On a more serious note, there are times I am guilty of wanting to lighten/brighten, de-noise or de-haze an interesting shot because the picture taken was a little south of being normal looking. One example is this shot, taken at the AF Museum. Not HDR, it was originally very noisy with a lot of jpeg artifacts.



There are other HDR examples in a post below
__________________
Reality extends beyond the limits of our perception.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 06-13-2014 at 09:10 AM
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:58 PM   #116
popscycle OP
Fahren Away
 
popscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Central MA
Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMichael View Post
Hey, speaking of riding down railroad tracks, someday soon I will make my way through the Hoosac Tunnel. Before I do that, though, I need new tires. Would appreciate feedback on options from readers of this thread. I've had Michelin Anakee III's on order since February. I've lost hope that they'll ever arrive. Any recommendations on alternatives? Thanks in advance.
Having stuck my head into that tunnel, the only way I'd make my way through it is on a train with a gas mask? It is like a dark, damp, stinking 4.75 mile long mud and slime puddle with rails sticking up out of the primordial ooze (a slight exaggeration, but you get the idea). Lord knows what kind of bad air and gas is in there (think carbon monoxide, radon, etc.) when they don't run the central shaft fans.

As for the Anakee 3s, your local dealer says they're on a boat headed this way but given that's what he said several months ago, the boat must have sunk.
__________________
Reality extends beyond the limits of our perception.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 06-12-2014 at 04:17 PM
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #117
popscycle OP
Fahren Away
 
popscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Central MA
Oddometer: 1,193
Some HDR Shots From Daytrip To NY

Here is a basic (minimum pop) HDR bike shot taken on the day trip to NY.



We greatly prefer these to the less-realistic, shots that seem to have an excessive, neon-like glow from too much vibrance. Below is an HDR shot of the Buskirk Bridge in Hoosick, NY. We played with that picture a little by removing a bunch of power and phone lines to the bridge. Other than that, the picture is pretty realistic of the actual scene.



Below is a view of the inside of the bridge.



I found it interesting to compare the inside of the Buskirk bridge to that of the covered bridge in Gilbertville.

__________________
Reality extends beyond the limits of our perception.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 06-13-2014 at 09:15 AM
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #118
TheAdmiral
Studly Adventurer
 
TheAdmiral's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Sand Hollow, Idaho
Oddometer: 857
I've never seen nor heard of a covered bridge out here in Idaho, but I sure wish we did. They are pretty darn cool. Thanks for sharing this and all your photo's.
__________________
For the record, I hate snakes!

Admiral's Voyages http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788178
TheAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:07 AM   #119
popscycle OP
Fahren Away
 
popscycle's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Central MA
Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiral View Post
I've never seen nor heard of a covered bridge out here in Idaho, but I sure wish we did. They are pretty darn cool. Thanks for sharing this and all your photo's.
You are most welcome and you just might have a couple of bridges out your way. Check out Idaho Covered Bridge List. If you ever get out this way, we have some more laying around. During a period of frustration waiting for the GS to arrive last winter, I plotted the location of some in this neck of the woods in Basecamp thinking we'd get to them this summer. With off-road excursions taking more time than I thought, It will take years to get to them all. I head out and then get diverted by some interesting road or place on the way.



I verified that these were still there by locating and identifying with Google sat view.
__________________
Reality extends beyond the limits of our perception.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA

popscycle screwed with this post 06-13-2014 at 11:19 AM
popscycle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #120
BBQer
Who Me
 
BBQer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Mass Hysteria
Oddometer: 776
Quote:
It will take years to get to them all
115 in Vermont alone. List courtesy of the BMW motorcycle owners of Vermont club. They have several RAT (road anomaly tour) rides laid out. If you get a pic of your bike at each location they send you a "got it done" pin.

I am really enjoying following along on your travels. Even though I have been at, by, over, under, a majority of the places you have shown it is kind of cool seeing them through someone else's eyes.

I am a little curious about riding on the RR right of ways. Because of a misspent youth I can tell you pretty confidently that RR police, especially P&W, don't take kindly to smaller displacement dirtbikes on their ROW.
__________________
Laconia - Not - Come to our Rally
*******************************
K1300S (also Orange)
640 Adventure
250 EXC
BBQer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014