Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
KLR 650 guy OP
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Oddometer: 487
A day out on the URAL sidecar Outfit or is that 5 days ..

Hi all ..

Just a quik note on a recent ride I did on my 2013 Ural sidecar Outfit from Esperance to Kalgoorlie and return via Norseman - Lake King - Ravensthorpe - Esperance with my dog Missie (she travels everywhere with me).. I was in hospital till fri morning from Wednesday just for a quick stay they said , yer two an half days later I was out .. Well I rang boss to tell him I'm off till the 27/04 an he said go an do something else for the time and relax .. So I started thinking of Norseman to Balladonia and down to home from there but when I got to Norseman it got the better of me so I decided to head up to Kalgoorlie instead for a run and to pick up some parts I was after that I couldn't get in town (Esperance) .. Got to Norseman bout 4.30pm fuelled up had a shower as I hadn't had one in hospital .. Shower feed fuel up an I'm set .. Now to see how far I can get riding Friday nite with the Road-trains around before I got tried .. Only made it as far as Widgiemooltha before the Kambalda turn off where I stayed the nite .. So next morning I had breakfast then onto Kalgoorlie for a bit of sight seeing riding Ural style .. Great lunch at the Boulder Fish & chips then more touring and buying parts needed for bike and a new Swag to sleep in seen I for got my tent as I wasn't planing being away 4-5 days .. More touring then set up at a park for a while till the sun cooled down a bit in late afternoon .. Tea yep you guest it , back to the fish & chip store again and talking shop with a few people that kept asking questions bout my Ural for a few hours in the street then one guy is looking at going to Russia and invited me back to his place to camp in his back yard off the street for the nite an we got talking shop an I think I have convinced him on buying a Outfit instead of a solo for Russia.. Next morning I was out an about doing a few photos with the Ural at a few places I knew then it was off back home so I thought .. Down the road I had a few Road-trains pass me from Kambalda turnoff to Norseman and a fuel stop again in Norseman .. While fuel in up met a fellow ADV riders by name of Dennis and Rick and a few others I can't remember names .. So I was invited to do a ride from Norseman out the Hyden road an camp the nite in the bush somewhere .. How can I refuse a good invite to go touring on my Ural sidecar Outfit out in the bush Hey .. Dennis rides a DRz 400 while Rick was on a Zuk 250 with the rest of the crew in 4 4x4s as support vehicles .. Well introductions done an were off bush bashing from Norseman we rode south for about two km then right turn out to the salt flats and out we go twisting our way to the Hyden road then right on to Hyden road with a good gravel base for a while .. We pulled into Mt Disapiontment for a 20 min rest and Dennis was then up the Mt on the DRz to the top for a looksie then back down so we all could set off to our nite stop about another hour an half up the road .. Just another hour up the road we turn off into the bush with some great formed single road zig zagging over some gibber rock , sand , gravel as well as ruts in the road to our nite camp past a old mine sight between two salt lakes .. Then we hit our campsite for the nite and a Campfire talk of the day just gone .. We where done then I whet to bed in my new Swag that I bought in Kalgoorlie a few days before .. Oh Missie gets cold sometimes at nite and coughs so it was just as easy to let her into my swag before i fell asleep .. Next morn we had our breakfast with talk of doing something different instead of going back to the Hyden road we would still keep going the way we came in so as to come out on the Salmon Gums - Lake King road was the plan .. So with 3 of the 4x4 support vehicles done a about face this morning we where left on with on vehicle for help if needed.. I had the guys carry 10ltr of fuel in one of there jerry can which I poured into my bike before leaving our overnite stop so I could get to the next fuel stop (lake King) with ease .. Once we got going this morning I asked if it can take the led as I wanted to use my GoPro in some clean air for filming some of these great tracks we have over here and only hours away from my home .. Sense we is heading off again it as reel good begin up front on the Ural as I could see more of the dangers that lied ahead which there wasn't to many with mostly ruts from the 4x4s that had gone through on a wet road had left there marks and a few washouts , dips and potholes thrown in for good luck with 99% of the track fail safe we had no problem transversing the track till the Hyden - Salmon Gums road .. With more Gibber rock , Sand and gravel mixed as well as the ruts , Washouts and a few washouts and two potholes to contend with this would be one easy day transversing this great land .. With all out and about having fun riding we made a few stops here an there to make sure we was still on track for the right reasons .. Couple time I had the front wheel off the ground coming out of ruts .. There was a couple big pot holes I dropped the sidecar wheel into as well .. With a rut that it had to go slow through as the angle was 20 degrees.. One stage I had scraped the pipes on a wash out when I should of put the Sidecar into it instead .. Then we where out of that great ride and onto the Hyden - Salmon Gums road for a quick stop before heading to Lake King on a well formed gravel road with some dust coming up from the dry conditions out there with a travel down through Frank Hann national park and on to Lake King .. We where doing well with the day and all a sudden my Ural decided it didn't want to play the game as it had run out of fuel and I switch he to reserve and still no go as I just stopped and put my last 10ltrs of fuel in my bike to get me 16km from the 10ltr plastic jerry can I travel with in the boot of my Ural sidecar Outfit for such occasions .. Now with fuel the run to Lake King wasn't a difficult one at all as there was 15 km of paved road ahead of me to the finish of one hell of a great ride and a new friend to ride with as well if ever the opportunity grants it's self again .... Thanks to Dennis , Rick and the rest of the crew that let me join them on there great ride of what was left of it as it will be one of my best so far as it is the best on my Ural sidecar Outfit so far .. Compared to a few good ones done on my 2008 Klr650 .. But this is chalk and cheese between these tow bikes that I have now and Missies ( my dog ) comfort is heaps better than riding the seat of the Klr now days ..

Have to up photos from my computer as I'm on my IPad at moment ....
Old 04-24-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
KLR 650 guy OP
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Missie in the new Swag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
KLR 650 guy OP
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Gettin the signs

Old 04-24-2014, 09:20 PM   #4
KLR 650 guy OP
UralTouristKlr650Guy

A day out on the URAL sidecar Outfit or is that 5 days ..

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398399615.074563.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  135.0 KB
Widgiemooltha camp
This is my old Swag ....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-24-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
KLR 650 guy OP
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398399688.079076.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  159.4 KB
Camped out in the bush with the new Swag Ural style ....

Old 04-24-2014, 09:26 PM   #6
KLR 650 guy OP
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398399943.186902.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  177.8 KB
Different view of the Ural with new Swag ....

Old 04-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #7
KLR 650 guy OP
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398400073.643867.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  183.0 KB
Some of the campin gear the others had ....

Old 04-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
KLR 650 guy OP
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398400174.997605.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  193.2 KB
Back yard in Boulder for the nights camp while talking shop about the Ural ....

Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
KLR 650 guy OP
UralTouristKlr650Guy

hope I can get these photos up from my computer .. Got to try out my new Gopro
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 PM   #10
KLR 650 guy OP
UralTouristKlr650Guy

9,000 km done on my Ural now ....

Old 04-24-2014, 09:52 PM   #11
KLR 650 guy OP
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Yes I know it's upside down if someone can right it for me .. Thanks .. Bloody IPhone bouncing through bush on a Ram Mount ....

Old 04-24-2014, 10:02 PM   #12
KLR 650 guy OP
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Just a sandy bit .. Please turn for me as I don't know how to .. Thanks ....

Old 04-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #13
KLR 650 guy OP
UralTouristKlr650Guy

The sign at the Salmon Gums - Hyden road turn off ....

Old 04-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
KLR 650 guy OP
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Great tea for someone just outa hospital a few days ago ....

Old 04-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #15
KLR 650 guy OP
UralTouristKlr650Guy

Yeeeepppppp hospital food .. Glad to get the heck outa there ....