User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #1
Leeexc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
What is needed for a Dakar entry?

Lets just say I was interested in getting an entry for the 2016 Dakar, what would the organisers be looking for?, I thought you had to do some FIM events but talking with Chris Corke (who has an entry for 2015) at the Hellas rally he said not.
So far I have done the Hellas rally 2013 and 2014 but failed to finish one day in 2014 and did the Tuareg in 2014 my results are nothing to shout about.

What would I need to do next year to help, would the same events again be good or would it be better do do some different events?

I read that the amount of Malle Moto places are reduced and I would assume most of those places go to riders with more experiance, its just that a Malle Moto would keep the cost down.

Any idea of what the whole thing would cost including buying a KTM 450 RR the older one with a carb?

Thanks Lee.
Leeexc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 04:45 AM   #2
DRPniels
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hi,

ASO-Dakar is a special event, budgets of malle moto guys run from e50.000 to e75.000 depending on the way they have organized it. The connection stages are a hefty 4500 km on straight tar roads this year, special stages will be another 4500. Media coverage is unprecedented.

As an alternative: consider the Africa Eco Race from France to a well known town in Senegal called Dakar. You will remember the routes and region from the pre 2008 days, we've been running and warmly welcomed since 2009, with a lot of people who love Africa and who dare to go into the desert. It starts on the 28th of december this year and runs until 11 januari. wwww.africarace.com

There are some inmates who ride here, Thomas Schattat (Tony's father) has done it as malle moto for several years and it's much more affordable but on the same level in terms of organisation. Bike, FIM licence, parts & tyres+mousses, your kit and you are good to go. It's a top level event, FIM, 4 choppers, docters in offroad ambulances on the stage, iritrack, ertf, sentinel, the best riders, everything.

What you need for the Africa Race is skill with your bike, a fit body, experience in navigation and sand (or you will learn about the sand..) but I'd say your current experience should tell you if it's possible for you to go into the deserts of Mauritania and come out again still riding ;-)

DRPniels screwed with this post 11-23-2014 at 04:52 AM
DRPniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:18 AM   #3
Åmme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
A start in Dakar have nothing to do with availability of cash it's about determination and lifestyle and once you made up your mind in regards to the coming lifestyle the rest is actually details and if you really have the drive you will make it.

This drive you need to present to ASO for me it was a 25 pages presentation why and my story and drive is 20 years old.

It helps and I believe it's mandatory to have some result from other races not necessary the greatest result as long as you can explain your result for myself it was 68th Tuareg, 14th Tuareg, DNF Tuareg, 6th Mongolia but also other sport events like Marathon etc

Cash well my budget was 35 k euro will end closer to 38 k euro
Åmme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,456
You have rally experience so....

Thanks for the 2015 support: BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, SEATCONCEPTS.COM , Galfer USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , Motolab , Loctite and Dunlop tires .
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 583
Hi Lee

I'd say to improve your chances you need a good selection of race experience from a variety of different events rather than just a lot of entries. And I'm sure it wouldn't hurt if a few were FIM events even if it's not compulsory.

The selection process does seem to be a bit hit and miss, witness inmate Jenny Morgan who didn't get in for 2015 despite having ridden before and having had an entry for 2013 (but was unable to take it up).

A good back story can be a good support to your application but again nothing is guaranteed. You'd have thought that Father and Son team Simon and Llewelyn Pavey riding together would be a great PR story but as we know Llel's entry was refused for 2013? It's taken another two years for him to get in the race.

And no you can't ride Nelly in the Dakar even if it would make a good story

Maybe you should move to France and take up French nationality that's bound to help

Tony

MY BLOG

Mad Cow screwed with this post 11-25-2014 at 04:09 AM
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
Leeexc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Thanks for the replys, Amee, was there the option to only apply for an entry in Malle Moto? Also if you do not mind, could you please give a break down of the costs. The best of luck in the Dakar.

Thanks lee.
Leeexc is offline   Reply With Quote