Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 05:41 AM   #166
scoutin
Scoutin

Oddometer: 57
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKIT_71 View Post
I ran 14/50 on my 350 at Condo and it was perfect. Good for around 140 without been on the absolute limit of the motor. I reckon 48 rear would bog the motor to much and cause stress worse than high revs!

We always use supersprox as they rears last forever. Buy them direct online from them in the states and use there fronts also. Our experience is 2 fronts and 1 rear for the event with a brand new chain rivet linked.
Thanks for the tip... any recommended supplier that ships to oz? And where you running the steel stealth sprockets?
Get out and explore your back yard!
scoutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:57 AM   #167
geoz
Orange rules

Oddometer: 228
I bought them locally. The price difference was not massive.

I did run 14/48 at the Condo last year, I run 14/50 in the Watties. :-)

cheers hg

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:56 AM   #168
ROKIT_71
Gone Orange

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutin View Post
Thanks for the tip... any recommended supplier that ships to oz? And where you running the steel stealth sprockets?
Just get them from the supersprox website and stealth are the go.

https://www.supersproxusa.com/Produc...-sprockets.php

Cheers mate and good luck.
ROKIT_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:50 AM   #169
scoutin
Scoutin

Thanks Rokit...

Anyone know what these bags are on the rear?
Old 06-17-2014, 04:53 AM   #170
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 2,002
http://wolfmanluggage.com/
Old 06-17-2014, 05:55 AM   #171
Sundowner OP
Total Cahn

Oddometer: 3,577
I'm taking a page out of Gany's rally prep book and going to run a Giant Loop Mojavi tail bag set. I reckon it'll be the perfect way to carry some vital spares, tools, the extra 2ltrs of water and a spare 21" tube. Seemed to work really well for him during the Condo 750 race. I've got some of the old school rectangular race number plates coming, to form the required side plate area to replace what the Mojavi will cover, plus one for the front to act partially as a bug shield fairing for the nav gear hanging above the headlight.
My only issue is how the hell to get the Rally Safe unit mounted around the bars area. I reckon it'll go on the cross bar of the Renthal 7/8ths bars, above the stock speedo area (I might have to run the stock speedo, but nothing says I have to be able to see it ). The F2R Roadbook and an ICO plus Trailtech Vector (for race rpm and transport section speedo function) can sit in front of it. I might also mount it alongside the rhs of the F2R, directly above the crossbar area, if I have enough width there, but that's unlikely. The antenna mount spot for the RS unit is still undecided, as the Mojavi will cover the area between the seat and tail-light/dust light area. It may well be on the front guard, directly in front of the headlight area.
Anyone see any issues with such a set-up?
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #172
Chaddy08
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
I'm taking a page out of Gany's rally prep book and going to run a Giant Loop Mojavi tail bag set. I reckon it'll be the perfect way to carry some vital spares, tools, the extra 2ltrs of water and a spare 21" tube. Seemed to work really well for him during the Condo 750 race. I've got some of the old school rectangular race number plates coming, to form the required side plate area to replace what the Mojavi will cover, plus one for the front to act partially as a bug shield fairing for the nav gear hanging above the headlight.
My only issue is how the hell to get the Rally Safe unit mounted around the bars area. I reckon it'll go on the cross bar of the Renthal 7/8ths bars, above the stock speedo area (I might have to run the stock speedo, but nothing says I have to be able to see it ). The F2R Roadbook and an ICO plus Trailtech Vector (for race rpm and transport section speedo function) can sit in front of it. I might also mount it alongside the rhs of the F2R, directly above the crossbar area, if I have enough width there, but that's unlikely. The antenna mount spot for the RS unit is still undecided, as the Mojavi will cover the area between the seat and tail-light/dust light area. It may well be on the front guard, directly in front of the headlight area.

Im also starting to think about the rally safe unit and how to mount it. I thought it was going to be smaller then it is. I read somewhere that the safari management were talking with RAW motosport to make some custom mounts up for the moto competitors, so im kinda waiting for them to release some info about it. In the meantime the only option ive considered is mounting it right next to the road book using a custom ally mount. This way you can see it, which is the only way the unit will work properly as a safety mechanism. Will be interesting to hear how everyone goes about it

just found this FB post from WAR motorsport page about their mounts. seems as though there are going straight off the handle bar stiffener, which wont work for me as i have my nav mount bolted on top of my handlebar mounts!!!
https://www.facebook.com/43136889027...type=1&theater

chaddy

Chaddy08 screwed with this post 06-17-2014 at 06:34 AM
Chaddy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 06:29 AM   #173
okedoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
The antenna mount spot for the RS unit is still undecided, as the Mojavi will cover the area between the seat and tail-light/dust light area. It may well be on the front guard, directly in front of the headlight area.
Sticking the antenna right in front of the headlight will put it in a radio "shadow" area to anything that is line of sight behind you or the bike. How much of a problem this may be depends on how skinny you reckon you'll be come September .... LOL =;-) .......

In all seriousness, not a good spot for an antenna, line of sight and obstruction issues aside you may have a bit of electrical noise that close to the headlight. What other electrics are up near the headlight? Any relays or coils are going to possibly interfere with radio Tx / Rx. What kind / length of antenna is it?

Can you fabricate a small aluminium mount to stick a little further back on the bike at the rear?
okedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #174
Sundowner OP
Total Cahn

Good points, guys. Didn't even think of the headlight causing an issue, let alone my ample girth causing any radio shadowing. But surely the signal would get past most things in that location? Anyway, I've just thought of a way around it. I'll explore the idea more and email team members if it complies with the rules and would work for everyone.
Chaddy, I'm thinking of using an ICO Universal Crossbar Mount, to get a bit more room happening - go here to see the part. They don't appear to make one for 7/8" bars though, just 1 1/4" fat bars. Might need to swap bars or get a custom made mount for the 7/8" bars.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:34 AM   #175
Chaddy08
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Chaddy, I'm thinking of using an ICO Universal Crossbar Mount, to get a bit more room happening - go here to see the part. They don't appear to make one for 7/8" bars though, just 1 1/4" fat bars. Might need to swap bars or get a custom made mount for the 7/8" bars.
i used a similar mount at yilgarn this year, by rallymanagement services. They do a set for 7/8inch, they look exactly the same as the ones you posted. http://www.rallymanagementservices.c...igation-clamps

Once i buy the RS system and see how its all going to work out i may go back to the RMS handlebar mounts to free some space up as well like you mention
Chaddy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:43 AM   #176
Sundowner OP
Total Cahn

Thanks mate - that's what i need.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #177
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,554
20th September is the start and the 27th is the last day of the event.
The 10th of sept is when i finish my hitch and have to be back at work on the 30th sept.
I could make this Safari thing.

So whats the deal, $5,400 to enter ?
What do you guys think it will cost besides the entry ?

What transport arrangements are in place to get the bike from Brisbane to Perth ?

What is the best route to ride the bike from Brisbane to Perth ?

Can you give me a cut off date to when i can say i am in this team in some capacity ?

And why do i want to ride my bike in Safari and be sore and tired and f$cked for 7 days then go back to work and drag my arse around for a week wondering why i am so sore when i could go to the Philippines and live like a king ?
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #178
scoutin
Scoutin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASUYAHO View Post
20th September is the start and the 27th is the last day of the event.
The 10th of sept is when i finish my hitch and have to be back at work on the 30th sept.
I could make this Safari thing.

So whats the deal, $5,400 to enter ?
What do you guys think it will cost besides the entry ?

What transport arrangements are in place to get the bike from Brisbane to Perth ?

What is the best route to ride the bike from Brisbane to Perth ?

Can you give me a cut off date to when i can say i am in this team in some capacity ?

And why do i want to ride my bike in Safari and be sore and tired and f$cked for 7 days then go back to work and drag my arse around for a week wondering why i am so sore when i could go to the Philippines and live like a king ?
3 of us are running tally of costs from Sydney. Totals ranging from around 10-13K so far for all the items on the list and that includes entry, support the etc.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #179
geoz
Orange rules

Oddometer: 228
Probably cheaper to go to the Philippines but what story could you tell?

cheers hg

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #180
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoz View Post
Probably cheaper to go to the Philippines but what story could you tell?

cheers hg
What happens in the Philippines, stays in the Philippines!

Kasuyaho - PM me your email address and I'll forward the first team bulletin which outlines the expected costs associated with the package we've put together. It's indicative, but you may be surprised how getting a group of us together can keep the costs down.

Dave.