ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2014, 05:32 AM   #181
nry

Oddometer: 1,334
Safari wouldn't be complete without one of these, and apparently they are required in the supp regs.

nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:01 AM   #182
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 18,746
Wide brimmed hat...?

Surely, you are "taking the pith" eh nry?

Does it really say "wide brimmed colonialist helmet" in the supp reg's now?

"What ees all 'zis f5uss about...?"
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #183
KASUYAHO
Road Hog

Oddometer: 3,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutin View Post
3 of us are running tally of costs from Sydney. Totals ranging from around 10-13K so far for all the items on the list and that includes entry, support the etc.
Thats what i figured the costs would be around mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoz View Post
Probably cheaper to go to the Philippines but what story could you tell?

cheers hg
Just the normal charity stuff mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by sequent View Post
What happens in the Philippines, stays in the Philippines!

Kasuyaho - PM me your email address and I'll forward the first team bulletin which outlines the expected costs associated with the package we've put together. It's indicative, but you may be surprised how getting a group of us together can keep the costs down.

Dave.
PM sent Dave
KASUYAHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #184
scoutin
Scoutin

Oddometer: 57
Couple of notes from Safari HQ today on updates I asked of Jaye.... answers below....

2014 Supp Regs
The Supp Regs are in my hands!! I'm hoping tomorrow they'll be available... just a few tweaks now.

Rallysafe Bike Mounts
The Rallysafe mounting instructions are still just a little while away. Justin needs to take some photos of one once it's installed. This is on the urgent list to get done though. I'll keep you posted.
Get out and explore your back yard!
scoutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:22 AM   #185
Sundowner OP
Total Cahn

Oddometer: 3,591
I know this is just going to sound like spam, but it isn't. I'm just really so bloody impressed with these folk: - Just thought I'd mention that I placed my order with Rocky Mountain ATV for the Xr's race rims earlier this week, sorted out an issue with a back-order item that was going to delay delivery until late August with a phone call at 11.30pm Tuesday night to their very friendly staff (it was 7.50am in Utah - they open at 7am ) and received all the goods, sent in three seperate packages from two different locations in the US by early this morning (Friday). What an awesome company to deal with, even from the other side of the planet. Will start the wheel build as soon as the spokes turn up from another group, Lytle Racing. I think they were attempting delivery late this afternoon but we missed the courier's attempt. Team members should keep both of these businesses in mind for parts sourcing with excellent service. Especially as the event approaches so bloody rapidly.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:47 AM   #186
geoz
Orange rules

Oddometer: 231
Agree they are good.

cheers hg

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:13 AM   #187
Sundowner OP
Total Cahn

Dave and I went for a 450km long training run yesterday. Actually we left the city on Sunday evening, grabbed rooms and a bloody nice meal at the Palmer Hotel, which is at the start of the Murray-Mallee Plains at the last of the Adelaide Hills. To properly simulate a mid Safari experience, Dave and I drank pints of grog until I won a Cooper Brewery brass monkey and Dave was half pissed (about 5 pints of cider - he's become a fair old light-weight on the sauce since his "no alcohol" training regime.) Then when the excellent publicans Jeff and Denni threatened to lock us in the pub for the evening, we grabbed a bottle of the house Port wine and continued training!!! A bloody great night, except we were one more bottle short of being properly supplied. It was a top drop and went down well on a cold and blustery night.
After being woken half the night by my bike alarm going off as the bike was shaken around in the gale force winds and pissing rain outside, we finally got going before dawn and were on the road by 7am, still a half hour before sunrise with Dave hung-over and suffering a bad chest cold. We were going to ride a local quarry but the farmer wasn't even awake it seemed when we rode past his property. The quarry, which is further down the road, looked like a swimming pool anyway - both of us decided to gave it a pass. The country where we were riding is rocks and sand over clay, with a regular smattering of limestone outcrops to launch from or smash rims, so not fun or predictable when it's wet.
By 7.05 am it began raining again. By 7.10 am after a series of low creek crossings, our boots and riding gear was completely soaked. So we hit a fantastic series of twisting, greasy local roads, single bush track and fast sandy, rocky scrub roads before reaching the prize of the day - a five point something kilometre long stretch of deep sandy whoops and limestone outcrops forming a track between two sanddune covered farmer's paddocks. And we had it all to ourselves so we did 10 laps back to back up and down it, without stopping, to grind away at the fitness and pain thresholds.
It truly was a hard days training. We were still frozen solid by the pissing rain and howling gale force winds, so today my leg muscles are torn up like I'd just run the Finke Desert Race track. The track was about the same as the worst of the Finke whoops, that's why we did it. Dave has a couple of photo's that hopefully turned out. We really didn't stop for photo's though. Next run, I'll take the GoPro.
We'll make this one of our regular training runs, it was so good.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.

Sundowner screwed with this post 06-27-2014 at 05:37 AM
Old 06-27-2014, 04:02 AM   #188
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,217
OK Dusty at this stage I'm in !!

Missus gave the go ahead just need to line up a driver for my truck.

Some of the things I can bring to the table...... sports trainer qualified........experienced in sport's massage.....MC truck licence.......ability to talk under water with a mouth full of marbles........many untold tall stories

I must admit though that I have a drinking problem........I have two hands but only one mouth.

I'll get those photo's this week and send them through with his contact details, be in touch.
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 04:19 AM   #189
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by bully1 View Post

Some of the things I can bring to the table...... sports trainer qualified........experienced in sport's massage.....MC truck licence.......ability to talk under water with a mouth full of marbles........many untold tall stories

I must admit though that I have a drinking problem........I have two hands but only one mouth.

I'll get those photo's this week and send them through with his contact details, be in touch.
Hi Bully,

PM me your email address and I'll send through the first team Bulletin with basic details about the team and indicative costs. (second Bulletin will go out early next week with more details about where we're at and what the next steps are...)

Cheers, Dave.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:03 AM   #190
Sundowner OP
Total Cahn

Quote:

That's awesome news, Bully. That makes a very comprehensive service and support team. I'll add you to my entry form as discussed. And look forward to the photo's of the team truck. Don't show them here though. I want it to be a surprise for the rest of the team. Welcome aboard for what will be the best event in Oz.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:42 AM   #191
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 470
A couple of photos from Monday's training. No action shots because, well, it was pissing down with rain and I was cold and miserable. As Dusty said, we rode around 50km of whoops in a total of around 550km for the day, so a good long ride.

In terms of prep, MD roadbook spares arrived from Rally Management Services, so that's that sorted. Tyres (Pirelli Scorpion Rally's) and Michelin mousse tubes have arrived and a couple of sets of carbon fibre fairings for the Rally Moto Kit are being moulded and layered now by Michael at Rally Raid Engineering.

In case people following this thread aren't aware, this will be the last Australasian Safari Rally, at least for the foreseeable future, so if anyone is thinking of giving this a go, it's now or never. More info on this at the official Safari website ( http://www.australasiansafari.com.au...an-safari-2014). If you're keen on knowing how you can be involved in this last-ever Safari without breaking the bank, please PM me - we reckon the package we've put together is the best value way of getting involved...

Dave.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #192
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,217
now if I could pinch a trailer we could take this , but it is probably a bit thirsty for our requiements.

'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #193
nry

Oddometer: 1,334
Quote:
now if I could pinch a trailer we could take this , but it is probably a bit thirsty for our requiements.

"Two days ago, I saw a vehicle that would haul that tanker. You want to get out of here? You talk to me."

Can't wait to meet all the support guys !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Don't show them here though. I want it to be a surprise for the rest of the team.
A surprise ! for me ? you shouldn't have

The "Sydney crew", as we have been dubbed by the press officer, will be out practicing again tomorrow up in the forests. I'll see if I can get some shots of the guys styling over trees

I'll be leading them though and just in case any of you weren't aware I am seriously directionally challenged so if all three of us disappear its my fault.
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #194
geoz
Orange rules

Oddometer: 231
Directionally challenged and unable to follow instructions - a winning combination in a navigational race. ;)

I'll bring my GPS.

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:11 AM   #195
okedoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
The "Sydney crew", as we have been dubbed by the press officer, will be out practicing again tomorrow up in the forests. I'll see if I can get some shots of the guys styling over trees .
The press officer will be in the Blue mountains scooping up horse shite in the snow on Sunday. Would have been fun to capture some of the carry on getting over fallen trees etc.
okedoke is offline   Reply With Quote