Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #241
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
Yep, that's the reason. Had a bit of a redesign this morning and will make some changes so the distance between those top clamps isn't so much of an issue.
One wide clamp (say 25-30mm wide) in the middle should be enough to hold that thing in place, no ?
Old 07-17-2014, 04:15 AM   #242
tprtel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowner View Post
Dave and I did actually discuss doing a Pony Express as a lead up to Safari. Let me see if it's still likely. I have a KTM that would work for it. What day is it on, as I'm working Saturday? Would have to burn some midnight oil servicing it but it's do-able. Is your flash red trailer available?

I'll be back with the XTZ800 at Condo next year - unfinished business to sort. She won't fail me again. Plus Dave wants to kick your arse again, Pee Stop.
Its on Sunday, Entries are on line, it wouldnt be the same if you didnt do any late night work before an event.
Yep, trailer is available if ya need it.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:17 AM   #243
Sundowner OP
Bort

Oddometer: 3,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by tprtel View Post
Its on Sunday, Entries are on line, it wouldnt be the same if you didnt do any late night work before an event.
Yep, trailer is available if ya need it.
Sorry mate, Dave and I have decided to go with Plan A - the long slog through the Mallee. The Pony would have been a lot of fun, especially on my #U&$ing KTM - that $h*#box thing is really going to suffer when I get it running again. It would have taken a small session on the midnight oil to get her going again - might sort her anyway as the parts have arrived from England months ago but I've been distracted with other stuff lately. Thankyou for the offer of the trailer - very much appreciated, as you know.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Sundowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:24 AM   #244
Sundowner OP
Bort

Quote:
The Rally safe unit weighs in at 750gm, 3/4 of a bag of sugar, so didn't want to be offsetting it too much..

Fuck Me! It's fucking huge! Seriously???!!! They didn't come up with a Moto version the size of a cigarette packet? I won't be able to see the road ahead of me, let alone the roadbook instructions.
Say 3 Hail KLRs and recite the old Honda "skid demon" warning 3 times." - CA Stu.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:31 AM   #245
nry

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
One wide clamp (say 25-30mm wide) in the middle should be enough to hold that thing in place, no ?

If I redesign it again Gany will kill me
Its not going to be a problem now as I had a "tweaking" session in the garage earlier.
We could probably shrink it 8mm either side but the studs from the unit are at 50mm and with the meat around them it's not going to be narrower than 60mm, you could start shaping it like a letter T I guess.
That can be Ver.3.

The bolts sit flush when it's on the cross bar.

nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:32 AM   #246
geoz
Orange rules

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Fuck Me! It's fucking huge! Seriously???!!! They didn't come up with a Moto version the size of a cigarette packet? I won't be able to see the road ahead of me, let alone the roadbook instructions.
All in the name of safety, mate.

hg
geoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 05:41 AM   #247
Sundowner OP
Bort

I'm truly amazed they haven't done a cut down moto version. We don't need most of the stuff this thing can do. It needs to scream it's head off when we're about to be run down from behind by a car competitor, track our position to HQ and send an SOS if we urgently need medical help - that's all.
The guys at RallySafe have been excellent to deal with but I wish there was time to develop a lighter Moto version.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:48 AM   #248
nry

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Its not small. Didn't you figure out from the dimensions on the Info sheet how big it would be first thing I did was mock one up. When I picked up the package from the post office I thought "oh dear I hope there's a heap of other stuff in here too"
I think, from the conversation I had with one of their guys that shrinking it is in the pipeline, but we won't see it at Safari.
I have concerns for your plan to fit your RMS style road book "arms" either side of the RS unit. I don't think it will fit.
How many weeks left ??
I ordered some of these brackets for the guys (our team basically) who asked for them - you included, I seem to recall you asking yes ? . All up we'll have 6 plus the prototype I already have.

I'm riding into the unknown on the weekend and I'm going to try to fabricate something up which is about the same size and weight as the RS (which I sent back today) and then bounce it around a bit to see if the bracket rotates at all.

Did you see my "blue steel" ? with the RS unit next to my head ?

nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 06:18 AM   #249
Sundowner OP
Bort

Quote:
Didn't you figure out from the dimensions on the Info sheet how big it would be Umm, no.
How many weeks left ?? Not enough. Hell, time moves fast when you don't want it to.
I ordered some of these brackets for the guys (our team basically) who asked for them - you included, I seem to recall you asking yes ? . Roger that, I need one.
I'm riding into the unknown on the weekend and I'm going to try to fabricate something up which is about the same size and weight as the RS (which I sent back today) and then bounce it around a bit to see if the bracket rotates at all. Dave and I are taking on a track that I've only ridden the first 100 or so kilometres of. After that, it's all new to me. I'll see if I can get him to do an overtaking manoeuvre with some unexpected sudden braking somewhere along the trail. So far each training session, Dave has followed and hunted me down. Makes me feel slow. Except when I've lapped him in the whoops training .

Did you see my "blue steel" ? with the RS unit next to my head ?

Yer a weirdo.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:43 AM   #250
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,969
Quote:
Quote:
I'm truly amazed they haven't done a cut down moto version. We don't need most of the stuff this thing can do. It needs to scream it's head off when we're about to be run down from behind by a car competitor, track our position to HQ and send an SOS if we urgently need medical help - that's all.
The guys at RallySafe have been excellent to deal with but I wish there was time to develop a lighter Moto version.
Quote:
Its not small. Didn't you figure out from the dimensions on the Info sheet how big it would be first thing I did was mock one up. When I picked up the package from the post office I thought "oh dear I hope there's a heap of other stuff in here too"
I think, from the conversation I had with one of their guys that shrinking it is in the pipeline, but we won't see it at Safari.
I have concerns for your plan to fit your RMS style road book "arms" either side of the RS unit. I don't think it will fit.
How many weeks left ??
Given that (at this stage the prognosis is) this years Safari will be the LAST one... My question is; what other events has the Rally Safe unit been developed with in mind? Is the intention that it be used on other events in Australia like Australian Off Road Championship/Finke/Gascoyne Dash etc. or perhaps even ARC Rally style events (although the shorter Special Stage distances and A to A timing schedule, normally dictate that "overtaking" on a competitive section is very unusual).

My question being (one of genuine concern) that the Safari is the only event in Australia where bikes/auto's are mixed on course and end up in a situation that warrants a "sentinel/rally safe" type apparatus... so if the Safari dissappears... then what?

As far as the CAMS AORC "offroad" championship events go (buggies/trucks)... the age old method of "two toots, two taps... two tons..." (a.k.a. "nerfing" in US terms) is a widely used and accepted (low tech) practice, that I hardly see a "bells and whistles" dashboard instrument is going to replace.

In the few Oz races (like Finke, Gascoyne, Condo) where moto's and auto's run at the same event, they compete on different schedule/course and not simultaneously, so the need for the (car to bike*) warning facility is virtually non-existent.

*This has been a primary reason for concern AND the development of these type "sentinal" systems on rallies like DAKAR and Safari for 10 years back or more...

So my point in a nutshell... if the Safari is no more after 2014, ist the "Rally Safe" system stillborn... given this is the first year it will be run?

seem's a shame if so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 07:01 AM   #251
Sundowner OP
Bort

They trialed it last year on limited selected entrants, Troy, but I suspect you're right. The Safari is the only event in Oz that has cars and bikes on the same timed stage together. I hope the event is quickly taken on by some other State. The RallySafe is a great advancement, but I doubt much developement will occur considering the clock ticking about the marketplace.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #252
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,745
Imho I think this is the last Safari in WA for the moment, give Justin a year and he'll have the show running again if you ask me!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:58 AM   #253
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Imho I think this is the last Safari in WA for the moment, give Justin a year and he'll have the show running again if you ask me!
Your knowledge of the geographic placement and distance of Perth in relation to the rest of the country's population, the level of tourism budget/funding the various other state governments have at their disposal and your unwavering faith in Justin's entreprenerial skills is encouraging.

I hope for the Safari's sake... you are right.

Quote:

Quote:
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 AM   #254
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Rallysafe

Warning of approaching cars aside, if I understand correctly it has tracking, accident and panic functions. Should you have a serious off the unit will automatically warn HQ of your location.

Remember when Grabbo hit the roo at Condo? Instant message to HQ with his GPS location - chopper flies directly to the gps lat long.

I dont see the system limited to just the bike/car mix, there is great safety benefit of being able to track all competitors, as well as potential spectator benefits should tracking be uploaded to a website.

As a hack who has a high probability of crashing, I personally would feel some relief that big brother knows where I am and is watching.

Dimitri, genius mate, another (version ???) just been designed based on your suggestion.
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #255
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Warning of approaching cars aside, if I understand correctly it has tracking, accident and panic functions. Should you have a serious off the unit will automatically warn HQ of your location.

Remember when Grabbo hit the roo at Condo? Instant message to HQ with his GPS location - chopper flies directly to the gps lat long.

I dont see the system limited to just the bike/car mix, there is great safety benefit of being able to track all competitors, as well as potential spectator benefits should tracking be uploaded to a website.

As a hack who has a high probability of crashing, I personally would feel some relief that big brother knows where I am and is watching.

Dimitri, genius mate, another (version ???) just been designed based on your suggestion.
Gany; As to the first application you mentioned (very valid) these type of personal GPS rescue beacon/homing devices HAVE existed on international rally events (like DAKAR and UAE Desert Challenge) for at least the last 15 years or more. Known as a "balise" in Dakar circles (or of late in Aussie terms an EPIRB or SPOT tracker is something similar) the "balise" has been an obligatory part of the emergency/rescue equipment fitted and provided by the organiser (on DAKAR for example) for many years now (since mid 90's). The tech is nothing new... it's just that it has never been implemented on the Australian Safari... till now.

The key thing is here, that for JUST that purpose (solely an emergency homing device)... the "Rally Safe" unit as picture earlier is far too BIG, compared to other tech available. The reason (as I understand it) that the Rally safe is that size - it has been designed to perform "dynamic" tasks while racing; To inform the rider/driver of their proximity to other competitors and even inform them (simply put) if it is a "passing" situation or a "being passed" situation they are about to encounter. To do this the designer has employed a simple system of diode lights (is there an audio buzzer also? ) and presumeably some set/reset/distress button. Ergo some of the reason the unit is the size it is (not a bad effort first up I reckon). But NO if the requirement is to function SOLELY as an emergency distress/recovery homing beacon, it is too large for that application compared to other tech available.

The guys that race Finke are no way they're gonna like the idea of something that size bolted on the triple crown... no matter how more convenient it will allow the medi-chopper to locate them. For just this application there are smaller more compact alternatives available, if they're deemed necessay, and the expense is accepted.

As far as the second spectator tracking application, uplinked via website is concerned. Yeah, this application reached it's zenith about three to four years ago... much to the delight of 1000's f5 fanatics on monitors in mancaves all around the globe. (outside of that the tech went largely un-notced by the majority of the planets residents I reckon? )

And while it allows a unique/real time oppoprtunity for die hard fans to track the action (and for the organisation to monitor safety) there is another (select) group of individuals who were most interested in this information... the moustached team manager alliance.

Given that this real time GPS tracking give the teams themselves a detailed overview of where the riders and competitors are relative to each other (and the course ) and that a big part of a "navigational" cross country rally is the NAVIGATION... We have seen in the last three years where many rallies have actually curtailed the GPS tracking (outside of the organisations view) to websites etc., because of the potential for cheating/pre-organised service of competitors/outside assistance etc.

Much to the chagrin of f5'er out there, events like Maroc, Dakar, Tunisia, UAE DC etc. are making the amount of tracking information that the general web-public have access to LESS... not more. So, using that as a motivational baloon to support the proliferation of such as system, is not gonna fly.

Above all... the "Aussie" market for Rally Safe is a best a small one... with the disappearance of the Safari (if that is what eventuates), the market becomes relatively non-existent.

So back to my original question... what (if any) other events, overseas or domestic - is there a market for this new device - which no doubt, fits a definite role for rally events where auto's and bike run in mixed company on the course.

If it was me, I'd be knocking on Mr Norman's door at SCORE HQ more or less first thing on monday morning...

Quote:

Quote: