Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 06:51 AM   #271
bully1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,206
Troy we need you here for this year, come on down brother, right back to what you know you want to do....I am sure we can make room in the truck....I think you can still open beers , can't you....tough job, but I think you are up for it.....
'92 R100GSPD ( modified)...........slow and easy
bully1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:41 AM   #272
nry

Oddometer: 1,334
Evening gentlemen, look at you guys go ! Almost like a real rally thread - two pages almost in a day

First up Troy, well timed words mate. Like Sundowner I had a testing day that was not the one I had planned so I was not a happy chappy. Your words however soothed me and for that thank you

Rallysafe is multifunctional like you've all pointed out. I know they ran them at Targa Tasmania this year and I "think" they are trying to get into some overseas events. I guess "rich" car guys don't even notice the costs and size of the units and the functions / safety / cool factor all appeal to their egos and make the event more professional. Some prat destroyed a $300,000 porsche at Targa this year on the wet "closed" roads so no insurance and just laughed it off and said he would get a new one on Monday

The bike event mentioned to me was Finke. If it gets the nod, development will pick up accordingly on the small unit.

Regarding the tracking function of the unit and its ability to display that info in real time on a website, I asked JH a month ago if we would be using it and highlighted to him that events that have this feature are more appealing / interactive for the rally enthusiast. For my mind the fact that access to the event is at your finger tips allows you to get involved with the event and the competitors.
This is the first step to actually taking part yourself physically if you follow, you start to dream . Anyway he basically said that privacy was an issue. Because the event goes through so much private property and roaming tourists could see tracks that the owners didn't want it. Thats pretty much the long and short of it. He said it might be possible but would require negotiation / work. Thats a real shame as its a tool that is then being under utilised and we view so many world events through a lap top nowadays, I know i watched a few world cup games recently on the laptop and I was hoping that I could give my wife , friends, FB friends, work colleagues a link and they could get into the event a bit more. As it is I think it will pass by unnoticed apart from by us lot and thats a huge problem isn't it
nry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:50 AM   #273
nry

Sundowner, seen this ?

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....0&postcount=83

Bargain of the century if you ask me. If you sold all your other bikes all your problems would be solved.
Bike was at Condo this year and looks better in the flesh !
Old 07-18-2014, 09:48 AM   #274
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,672
Quote:
Originally Posted by nry View Post
Sundowner, seen this ?

Bargain of the century if you ask me. If you sold all your other bikes all your problems would be solved.
Pick up the new 570 crate motor from johnno as well and your set for quiet some time.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #275
okedoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Sundowner, seen this ?

Is this the same bike at Condo this year?

okedoke screwed with this post 07-18-2014 at 05:08 PM
okedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:23 PM   #276
nry

I believe so yes.
If you just wanted to walk into the sport and be ready to go I think you won't find a better way of doing it.
I paid 7 grand for an ex ghr safari honda with no nave gear or spares like this has.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:58 PM   #277
waldecker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Dakarberg

Sorry to disappoint, but the Dakarberg on sale is NOT the #45 Berg from Condo. I plan to keep that one and return to Condo 2015...
Sundowner knows the Dakarberg well, and I think he would consider it too easy to just buy a bike and ride it....
Besides, it's far too young for him
waldecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #278
okedoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldecker View Post
Sorry to disappoint, but the Dakarberg on sale is NOT the #45 Berg from Condo. I plan to keep that one and return to Condo 2015...
Michael, after looking at your PhotoBucket pics of the bike for sale I didn't think it was the same bike you had at Condo this year. The yellow frame of the Condo bike caught my eye which I hadn't noticed before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldecker View Post
Sundowner knows the Dakarberg well, and I think he would consider it too easy to just buy a bike and ride it....
Besides, it's far too young for him
okedoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:50 PM   #279
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Oh to have 2 'bergs in the garage... Oh just to have a garage!!! Agree, bargain at that price, 2nd hand bergs are about the same price without any of the rally gear and extras.

Curious to know what the new project is Michael? Might be a little off topic...

On topic, is there any Team ADV merchandise in the works?
Gany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:05 PM   #280
nry

Thought it was too good a deal, I guess you all now realise I didn't look too hard Sorry guys

Good to hear you'll be back at Condo again next year Michael.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:40 PM   #281
nry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCOZ View Post
Guys your mount looks good, but let me make some suggestions....at the moment you are only using the 2 bolts from the rallysafe box to mount to the bracket - these are only 6mm and quite short. Like you, we have a few versions, but have ended up with one being a flat 3mm thick plate that picks up the 2 rallysafe bolts and the 2 bottom corners of the rallysafe box. There is 2 predrilled/tapped threads that you can use and still give cleareance for the cables. You can then just use the same "pillow brackets" from the MD to mount it to a crossbrace. Countersink these to keep the overall height down which is very important.

We also have a second version which is more complicated but more adjustable and doesn't require a fixed crossbrace. And a third version which uses the mounts from our barkbusters. The multiple versions allow fitment solutions depending on dampers/bar risers/cables etc

Lots of options - none will however make the box any smaller. For those using a roadbook mounted close to the bars - have fun !!

cheers CPW
Hi Don, Thanks for the tips ours definitely doesn't cater for the guys who don't have a cross bar. All the different designed units you've got are they all in production and available for sale ? A few of us have been chasing Safari HQ for info on how we could get hold of a mount but it never came which is why we ended up getting to this point where we have several designs and one prototype, couldn't take the risk of standing in perth and finding no mounts existed. Would have been a bit of a poor start That and I really wanted to get the layout of my bike right in my head.
We haven't ordered anything yet but were about too. If yours are going to do the job for a decent price then I won't bother ordering our design.

While your here do you have any idea on max fuel distance required ? I have options on fuel loads I can carry and want to finalise what I'm going to do there. Based on the last leg at Condo this year which went for 265ks typical Condo terrain (included transports).

My options look like this.

14L front Safari Tank with 8.5L rear Safari tank would give me 422.5km range based on Condo consumption.

21l front Safari tank with 8.5L rear Safari tank would give me 546.5km range based on Condo consumption.

I'd prefer the 14.5L front but the 21L will protect the Radiators better in an off, but I'm more likely to crash with a heavier more cumbersome bike
I could swap tanks depending on the day but.....the radiator guards are different for each tank and so that operation really becomes something I'm not keen on.

Its a pros and cons thing that is vexing me !! The issue disappears though if I know I have to go 450km between refuels

Cheers Neil.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:02 PM   #282
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
How's the bigger tank handle if you only put 14lt in it? Too sloshy?
Gany is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #283
sequent
South Australia's own....

Oddometer: 470
Quote:

While your here do you have any idea on max fuel distance required ? I have options on fuel loads I can carry and want to finalise what I'm going to do there. Based on the last leg at Condo this year which went for 265ks typical Condo terrain (included transports).

My options look like this.

14L front Safari Tank with 8.5L rear Safari tank would give me 422.5km range based on Condo consumption.

21l front Safari tank with 8.5L rear Safari tank would give me 546.5km range based on Condo consumption.

I'd prefer the 14.5L front but the 21L will protect the Radiators better in an off, but I'm more likely to crash with a heavier more cumbersome bike
I could swap tanks depending on the day but.....the radiator guards are different for each tank and so that operation really becomes something I'm not keen on.

Its a pros and cons thing that is vexing me !! The issue disappears though if I know I have to go 450km between refuels

Cheers Neil.
I haven't read the supp regs for 2014 yet (work has been a bitch lately), but historically they've said you need fuel range for at least 300km, of which up to 250km may be competitive. On that basis, you'd go the smaller front tank. Having said that, it's nice for you to have a contingency in case either you hole a tank and/or you need to siphon some over to an awesome KTM-mounted dude that totally miscalculated his consumptions.... As Gany said, maybe running the larger tank half full is an option. Remember the second rule of rallying - the only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire....

Dave.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:34 AM   #284
DMCOZ
CPWDON

Oddometer: 17
Rallysafe mounts/fuel distance

We will have available a small number of mounting systems on top of what Raw Motorsport has available. In the latest Safari news there are some photos of a flat bracket mounted on a crossbrace using MD pillows. This is available from Raw. The photo is from a "lite" nav tower setup that we have available using the ktm hardparts frame with an adaptor bracket to allow MD fitment (instead of the tourtech box)

CPW will have 2 versions available. The first is with 2 clamps (similiar concept to the RMS MD mounts) but at a height just above the handlebar mountsm with a flat bracket that picks up the 2 rallysafe bolts and the 2 lower corner threads. The second will be based on our barkbuster mounts (if you go to our website cpwmotoparts.com.au and scroll through the pictures on the home page, there is a photo of the ones we previously made) what we have done is extend then in the area next to the handlebar bolts (on the outside edges) then drill and tap mount holes for the MD pillows - a alloy rod then bolts down to these - then the same flat bracket from the first system is used. This will allow those with GPR dampers or dampers where there is no clearance between the bar and damper to mount the rallysafe box. For those that might have a SD2 damper you can use the first version.

One of the mounting issues to consider is the fitment of the aerial and power cables as they mount from the underside of the box along the front and the power is slightly back and on the side. This limits the shape of the intermediate fixing bracket.

I will try and get some pics up later today or tomorrow and an idea of costs.

For fuel - subregs state max fuel distance of 300ks, so from your expected consumption and some roundy round fuel, you can work out what tank config you need.

cheers
DMCOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #285
waldecker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Fuel tanks CRF

From my limited experience (with KTM 525 and Husaberg 570) i would say it's worthwhile avoiding a rear tank; unless a bike is designed around this adding weight at the back tends to unsettle the handling more than a bit more fuel at the front...
Btw, did you ever try to run dry the 21l Safari tank on your CRF? I used to struggle to get more than 17 or so liters out of it without stopping and leaning the bike over, so the difference in usable fuel between those 2 front options is not that great...
On the other hand, the difference in handling of the CRF when switching from stock to 21 l was quite noticeable, whereas with the 14l it behaved just like stock.
waldecker is offline   Reply With Quote